New to supplements

cavtrooper

Awards
I was looking at this forum the last couple days after a discussion with some co-workers about our training regimes.

How important are supplements? I really dont understand alot of the acronyms and biology behind it, but for the run of the mill person (non body building) are they beneficial?

In my case would it would be worth taking them? Some back ground on me, Im 33. I lift every evening (minus Sundays usually) for about 1 to 1/2 hours. I do about 30-60 minutes of cardio when I wake up in the morning Monday through Friday. I am in the Army so fitness is very important, especially muscle stamina. I have found as I have gotten older that I have a harder time keeping my strength and stamina on par. I also have put on some fat that I need to drop. (Im about 20% so quite fat)

Anyways so trying to turn over a new leaf, is it a good idea to take supplements for my training or stick to the old fashioned way? I am in the process of changing my diet (the hardest part I think). And its working, slowly, but its working. I would like to trim the rest of the fat and keep my muscle mass without hindering my cardio.

So the big question is to supplement or not too?

Appreciate your time, will continue to read the forums more and try to educate myself.

Thanks

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I was looking at this forum the last couple days after a discussion with some co-workers about our training regimes.

How important are supplements? I really dont understand alot of the acronyms and biology behind it, but for the run of the mill person (non body building) are they beneficial?

In my case would it would be worth taking them? Some back ground on me, Im 33. I lift every evening (minus Sundays usually) for about 1 to 1/2 hours. I do about 30-60 minutes of cardio when I wake up in the morning Monday through Friday. I am in the Army so fitness is very important, especially muscle stamina. I have found as I have gotten older that I have a harder time keeping my strength and stamina on par. I also have put on some fat that I need to drop. (Im about 20% so quite fat)

Anyways so trying to turn over a new leaf, is it a good idea to take supplements for my training or stick to the old fashioned way? I am in the process of changing my diet (the hardest part I think). And its working, slowly, but its working. I would like to trim the rest of the fat and keep my muscle mass without hindering my cardio.

So the big question is to supplement or not too?

Appreciate your time, will continue to read the forums more and try to educate myself.

Thanks
Yeah, if you lift 6 days/week and do cardio daily and are 20%bf, I must agree that your diet must need some work. Good eating takes much planning on a day to day basis, but is essential if you want to LOOK like you work out daily. Especially as approaching middle age when the metabolism slows considerably. I eat clean 6 days/week, with a cheatday every 5-7 days. Not easy to start, but once you get into it its not bad and you'll feel muuuuch better. For more details check the nutrition forum. As far as supplements go, if you post what effect/health benefit you are looking for specifically I'm sure someone will respond. Good luck.:burger:

J1gsaw

Awards
Hey mate. You sound as though you certainly put the hard work in, so i would definately get onto some supplements if i were you. It comes down to personal preference in my opinion, i myself love to eat every pill i can get my hands on, LOL, but having said that, i do want to make sure my health remains somewhat decent. Get onto some good protein, glutamine and vitamin, perhaps creatine if you wanted it, but its up to you. Maybe look at other muscle builders later?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Q

A Think of supplements as an aid to help you get to your goal. they are not "needed" but always a good add. The only supplement you probably need are multi-vitimins. Everything else isnt really needed. think of supplements like a cup of coffee on a long tidious day of work. It's not needed, as you'll get through the day eventually but it will probably help you get you through your day. Agian fixing diet is the main key to how your health. Also some supplements are meant for working out. Things such as pre-workout supplements are here for a specific purpose and it would be rather stupid to take it for no reason. There are supplements out there to help those who are not lifters. Supplements like cissus help with our joint pains and what not. Remember to keep your diet in complete check before going into supplements. It does seem to me that you have a fair background into the basics of lifting. I think supplements such as pre-workout supplements like RPM might help you out more at the gym. Dropping body fat requires a change in diet as for no diet supplement known to man will start dropping pounds off you if your diet is crappy. I think this point since you seem to have some fair background in working out you should try the basics of supplements. Some that i would recommend are multi vit, creatine like reg mono creatine or Controlled Labs Green Magnitude. You can also pick up a pre-work out supplement to see how it helps is the strength and stamina department. Supplements such as RPM are a good choice for pre-workout however RPM is a well rounded supplement that is more than your average pre-workout supplements as it has many other benefits. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post here. Remember im no expert but the advice I give to you I follow, and i see results from it. Its up to you to take my advice or not.