Cyclist cycle help

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
I am m ore of a lurker/reader than a poster, and actually trust what the folks have to say on this site...so I come to you all with my questions.

I am a cyclist (road) and am in training for some upcoming races. I am looking for some help with strength building and recovery help. I mostly ride with core work thrown in to help with breathing and the obvious. I ride 5 days a week and do the core 2-3. I use Hammer Nutrition products for carbs during and replacement after. I am interested in what you would recommend to help me build strength w/out a pct cycle. Ive done cycles in the past and its not my thing, Ive had great results but the post cycle is a downer...fatigue, etc. I also take protein in with my smoothies and Fast Twitch for pre-ride energy.
Im 35 y.o., 170lbs and 5'7".
Not sure what else to put up so, if you have a question let me know.

thx

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
I am m ore of a lurker/reader than a poster, and actually trust what the folks have to say on this site...so I come to you all with my questions.

I am a cyclist (road) and am in training for some upcoming races. I am looking for some help with strength building and recovery help. I mostly ride with core work thrown in to help with breathing and the obvious. I ride 5 days a week and do the core 2-3. I use Hammer Nutrition products for carbs during and replacement after. I am interested in what you would recommend to help me build strength w/out a post cycle therapy cycle. Ive done cycles in the past and its not my thing, Ive had great results but the post cycle is a downer...fatigue, etc. I also take protein in with my smoothies and Fast Twitch for pre-ride energy.

thx
What kind of time do you have? You could pulse epi for some added strength. Also mega dose bcaa or leucine for quicker recovery

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
What kind of time do you have? You could pulse epi for some added strength. Also mega dose bcaa or leucine for quicker recovery
he just said he doesnt want pct. epistane is a PH which if taken will require pct unless pulsed. get some creatine for starts if you want added strength. I read an article somewhere that its beneficial for sports. try something like green magnitude or just plain mono creatine.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I would go with the BCAAs before during and after biking. I also put it in my glass of water I keep by my bed and drink it when I wake up at night.

I would stay away from creatine as it could add weight which you don't want for bike racing. As you probably already know you are heavy for bike racing and the extra weight doesn't help.

CROWLER

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
he just said he doesnt want post cycle therapy. epistane is a PH which if taken will require post cycle therapy unless pulsed. get some creatine for starts if you want added strength. I read an article somewhere that its beneficial for sports. try something like green magnitude or just plain mono creatine.
Which is why i said to pulse it.......
good call with the creatine. forgot to mention that staple supp. Get some micronized mono. Ive heard some good thing about green magnitude but you would have to get a second opinion as i dont know first hand. I would also snatch up some incarnate

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
I would go with the BCAAs before during and after biking. I also put it in my glass of water I keep by my bed and drink it when I wake up at night.

I would stay away from creatine as it could add weight which you don't want for bike racing. As you probably already know you are heavy for bike racing and the extra weight doesn't help.

CROWLER
It would put on some water weight but it wouldnt be anything he could lose before the race right?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Some citrulina malate and bcaas will help you big time. I used to compete, and do duathlons. I feel ya. But give it a try, you won't be dissapointed :)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Well I am definitely no expert but not sure why he would want to gain the weight and then have to try and lose it even if it made him a little stronger.

CROWLER

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Well I am definitely no expert but not sure why he would want to gain the weight and then have to try and lose it even if it made him a little stronger.

CROWLER
Lol neither am i. Cm can cause some water bloat in some but its not hard to lose and i think the benefit is worth it. If he happens to have a problem with it he could always drop it. I dont bloat on mrm micronized cm but i did on ON's cm (why i ON's and not MRM i dont know) and it was never really a big problem for me.

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
Thanks for the relpies, keep em comin'

As far as creatine goes, Ive read some articles going both ways about its benefits towards sports. In my interpretation its good for lifting because it helps with your short burts of exertion, by building up your ATP reserves. I dont believe the same effects happen for endurance type sports.
BCAA's are a good idea, I was taking purple wraath and its a great product but is expensive and makes me burp it up for most of the ride.
To mega dose BCAA's is it as beneficial to get bulk powder? and how much is mega dosing without wasting?
Im gonna read up on citrulina malate as soon as Im done typing this.
Ive actually had great results with the cycles Ive done....HD50, Pheraplex, superdrol, but the sides even with a good pct are draining.
I would be open to suggestions for non-methyls or quality strength gainers that are non pct and still alow you to keep your gains.

thx

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
For the BCAAs I would suggest going either bulk powders or EXCELL, but then again my company makes Excell so you would expect me to say that :)

What is it you are hoping to accomplish from the strength increase? How do you see it helping your cycling for races?

CROWLER

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
For the BCAAs I would suggest going either bulk powders or EXCELL, but then again my company makes Excell so you would expect me to say that :)

What is it you are hoping to accomplish from the strength increase? How do you see it helping your cycling for races?

CROWLER
ha...your answer made me laugh, and thanks for your honesty. I have heard really good things about excell. What is considered a good daily intake gram wise of bcaa's if "mega dosing". I believe, if memory serves me right 7g was a regular dosing of the other.
Well, with added strength it should create less stress cardio wise during extended climbs. Less exertion creating less taxing on breathing, more control with breathing I think should ward off fatigue a little longer. At least this is my $.02 theory.

Kirkatis

Kirkatis

Awards
I am a cyclist too and last year I would take beta alanine, cordygen 5, bcaas, citruline malate, rhodiola, and my endurance was great when I would race in criteriums. you should try it.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
For BCAAs I do 25 grams a day and I believe it really helps. But I also get it very cheap.

Well Kirkatis has chimed in he sounds like a good person to listen to as he has the experience. Maybe he can tell us how much he did of each and what sort of rotation. Kirkatis, did you ever try each of these by themselves so you could tell which one was doing what. I tried some of what you used but the name brand one never really felt anything but it could have helped after all.

CROWLER

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
I believe creatine is actually bad for endurance athletes based off a couple of studies. It was one of the negatives my professors used to ward off creatine use by athletes who are usually more susceptible to wanting performance enhancing products.

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
citrulline and beta-alanine would be great for endurance though

Dalamara

Awards
I'd stay away from creatine since he's a roadbiker... that means you prolly do what, 75+ miles on long rides? It'd be just a pain in the ass to keep hydrated as it is on those rides, throw in creatine and it'd be downright dangerous.

I know for me, an hour of cardio will get me dehydrated as hell and I'm drinking about a 3/4ths a liter of water through that.

Beta Alanine would be good. It's most effective for cardio-related activities.

Get a bottle, mix 10-15g of BCAA's in there and just sip on it during your ride. That should help recovery as well.

g29er

g29er

Awards

I am a cyclist (road) and am in training for some upcoming races. I am looking for some help with strength building and recovery help. I mostly ride with core work thrown in to help with breathing and the obvious. I ride 5 days a week and do the core 2-3. I use Hammer Nutrition products for carbs during and replacement after. I am interested in what you would recommend to help me build strength w/out a post cycle therapy cycle. Ive done cycles in the past and its not my thing, Ive had great results but the post cycle is a downer...fatigue, etc. I also take protein in with my smoothies and Fast Twitch for pre-ride energy.
thx
Watch out for any extra weight/water gain.Especially at 5'7" 170. My cousin races and he did a cycle,and complained that his excess weight was killing his times.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is bad. I felt so pumped on it that cycling was actually harder to do.

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
I am a cyclist too and last year I would take beta alanine, cordygen 5, bcaas, citruline malate, rhodiola, and my endurance was great when I would race in criteriums. you should try it.
Im gonna look into these...

the cordygen & rhodiola I believe is what is in Optygen?

thx

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
Beta Alanine would be good. It's most effective for cardio-related activities.

Get a bottle, mix 10-15g of BCAA's in there and just sip on it during your ride. That should help recovery as well.
THx

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Cordyceps have not help my endurance, just FYI.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I think Crowler's Excell would be good to take all day long. How about PALs Incarnate pre-race?
Beta Alanine 2,000mg
Cissus Quadrangularis 20% Ketosterones 600mg
Proprietary Blend: 244mg
(L-Histidine HCl, Betaine HCl)

I'm assuming you have a good post race/workout protein drink to help the body recover!?!

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
I think Crowler's Excell would be good to take all day long. How about PALs Incarnate pre-race?
Beta Alanine 2,000mg

I'm assuming you have a good post race/workout protein drink to help the body recover!?!
Yeah Im using Hammer Nutritions Recoverite, its got a 3:1 ratio w/glutamine and no sugar.

Dont know what Incarnate is?
preride or race is very tricky...its got to be real easy on the gut or I will have gastro-issues.

Kirkatis

Kirkatis

Awards
Beta Alanine 2,000mg

Kirkatis

Kirkatis

Awards
sory prowler took yours but if you don what I did in the bulk products it will be a lot cheaper, just my two cents and I have been riding for a long time you may also want to look into to man body octane but I think bulk is the way to go and I probably know a little more about cycling that most people around here its my favorite sport just check out my my url on the amspace.

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
sory prowler took yours but if you don what I did in the bulk products it will be a lot cheaper, just my two cents and I have been riding for a long time you may also want to look into to man body octane but I think bulk is the way to go and I probably know a little more about cycling that most people around here its my favorite sport just check out my my url on the amspace.
got some more Purple wraath...
3 scoops spread throughout the day should be good, its got EAA's, Citruline Malate, Beta Alanine, + etc.

gonna go bulk though shorty.

Cyclism Sundays rules....Phil Liggetts a great announcer