Supps for the reduction of Anxiety/Depression

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
Ok guys, here's the situation. My uncle/training partner is a 65 year old diabetic. He has been blind his entire life, but he's always been the happiest, most outgoing and enthusiastic person I've known. He's the one that made me go down to his garage, 5 days a week, every week, no matter how hard my fat 16year old butt wanted to quit. He's one of my closest friends and someone I consider as a 'father-figure'. Im really trying to pull him out of this depression he's in. Medically, he's fine. His bloodwork, bp, etc.. are all great. He has some slight financial prob's, but nothing drastic. Im assuming that the stroke one of his best friends had is causing him to really re-evaluate everything and also adding a great deal of stress. He hasnt been able to sleep. He's barely been able to eat, and even worse, he has quit training all together(this is how I know he's really in trouble).

Im going to do all I can and recently I made him a custom mix I came up with for anxiety reduction and sleep improvement. I capped him a mix of:valerian root, phenibut, and bulk powerfull. It helped him a great deal with both. The problem was that on the 2nd day he took it, his bloodsugar dropped extremely low, so now, he wont use anymore of it. I have a few things in mind, and Im hoping you guys can chime in as well. Here's what I was thinking(please tell me if you know of any prob's that could happen since he's diabetic):

GABA
5-HTP(or L-trytophan)
L-theanine
Rhodiola Rhosea

I've thought of several different combo's and single supps, but this is what Im thinking of giving him next. I'd love to hear what you guys have used with success. Thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a huge fan of rhodiola. I just feel so relaxed while using it and I also have great sleep.

ugab37

ugab37

Awards
  • Established
I am a huge fan of rhodiola. I just feel so relaxed while using it and I also have great sleep.
First, congrats on your new position man! Again, its good to have another MMA on board(although Im nowhere near your level).
Any idea if there's any precautions with diabetics using it? I havent found anything saying that there is, but who knows?

kava-kava is a really good one that I didnt think about.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, congrats on your new position man! Again, its good to have another MMA on board(although Im nowhere near your level).
Any idea if there's any precautions with diabetics using it? I havent found anything saying that there is, but who knows?

kava-kava is a really good one that I didnt think about.
I am pretty prone to blood-glucose crashes and never had any problems with rhodiola.

ugab37

ugab37

Awards
  • Established
I am pretty prone to blood-glucose crashes and never had any problems with rhodiola.
Cool man, thanks.

Offsubject, You and I need to design a MMA specific product for AN. Im thinking Ecdy, Rhodiola, Cordyceps, forskolin, and maybe some Icarian to top it off. That would be killer in my humble opinion.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cool man, thanks.

Offsubject, You and I need to design a MMA specific product for AN. Im thinking Ecdy, Rhodiola, Cordyceps, forskolin, and maybe some Icarian to top it off. That would be killer in my humble opinion.
Ecdy, rhodiola, icariin, and nettle/testofen.

ugab37

ugab37

Awards
  • Established
That would be awesome. Lets get Dirk in here and have him whip up some more magic for us.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Reset AD has done more for my anxiety/depression more than anything I've ever taken. The only prescription med I've tried was Buproprion for a while. IMO Reset AD >>>>>> Buproprion. Nicotine patches helped a bit too, but still Reset did much more.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That would be awesome. Lets get Dirk in here and have him whip up some more magic for us.
non-prescription- forskolin, L-theanine, 5-HTP (but only get the Natrol brand, and only take 100 mg every 2 or
3rd day), mucuna, icariin

basically, biochemically depression can be caused by many things....but generally it is some sort of imbalance in serotonin, dopamine, and/or norepinephrine (or a combo of all 3).

1. Serotonin is the most likely culprit- Start with 5-HTP, 100 mg of Natrol (and only Natrol) variety on an empty stomach. Take 3 days on, 3 off, and then re-evaluate. If it is a serotonin imbalance, he will feel the 5-HTP the first day.

2. If this does not do anything, then try giving him 100 mg of caffeine (about a cup of coffee) in the AM- this will increase norepinephrine and dopamine- if this makes a difference mood-wise, then there are other avenues that are a little stronger/more effective.

3. TRAIN no matter how bad you feel- it releases endorphins and serotonin, and makes coping easier...

4. Prescription route (not recommended)- provigil and/or any type of testosterone (the medical establishment are just finding out that it works wonders for depression, at least in men).

I would try 1-3 first though.....and then re-evaluate- hope this helps...

ugab37

ugab37

Awards
  • Established
non-prescription- forskolin, L-theanine, 5-HTP (but only get the Natrol brand, and only take 100 mg every 2 or
3rd day), mucuna, icariin

basically, biochemically depression can be caused by many things....but generally it is some sort of imbalance in serotonin, dopamine, and/or norepinephrine (or a combo of all 3).

1. Serotonin is the most likely culprit- Start with 5-HTP, 100 mg of Natrol (and only Natrol) variety on an empty stomach. Take 3 days on, 3 off, and then re-evaluate. If it is a serotonin imbalance, he will feel the 5-HTP the first day.

2. If this does not do anything, then try giving him 100 mg of caffeine (about a cup of coffee) in the AM- this will increase norepinephrine and dopamine- if this makes a difference mood-wise, then there are other avenues that are a little stronger/more effective.

3. TRAIN no matter how bad you feel- it releases endorphins and serotonin, and makes coping easier...

4. Prescription route (not recommended)- provigil and/or any type of testosterone (the medical establishment are just finding out that it works wonders for depression, at least in men).

I would try 1-3 first though.....and then re-evaluate- hope this helps...
That helps a ton. Thanks a lot boss! Just to be safe, are you sure that none of the items you listed above will negatively affect his bloodsugar? I just want to be positive.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That helps a ton. Thanks a lot boss! Just to be safe, are you sure that none of the items you listed above will negatively affect his bloodsugar? I just want to be positive.
caffeine yes, mucuna yes- they both have a hypoglycemic effect- that is why I am recommending starting with such a low dose- and icariin will lower blood pressure

ugab37

ugab37

Awards
  • Established
caffeine yes, mucuna yes- they both have a hypoglycemic effect- that is why I am recommending starting with such a low dose- and icariin will lower blood pressure
Ok, sounds like a plan. I think Ill start him off with the 5-HTP and go from there. He has taken a product before that contains caffeine, mucuna, and forskolin(hint: Its a formula from your previous company). He didnt have any issues with it, so maybe Ill try out using 1cap of that one if the 5-HTP doesnt do the trick. I also have some L-theanine, so I'll give that one a shot too. The only one I dont have is Icarian, but Im assuming I could substitute a low dose of RPM for the other product if needed. Ok, well, at least I have a few things for him to try, so there is a chance he can get right again.

sweetdaddy

Awards
Advise him to talk to his doctor about his depression

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys, here's the situation. My uncle/training partner is a 65 year old diabetic. He has been blind his entire life, but he's always been the happiest, most outgoing and enthusiastic person I've known. He's the one that made me go down to his garage, 5 days a week, every week, no matter how hard my fat 16year old butt wanted to quit. He's one of my closest friends and someone I consider as a 'father-figure'. Im really trying to pull him out of this depression he's in. Medically, he's fine. His bloodwork, bp, etc.. are all great. He has some slight financial prob's, but nothing drastic. Im assuming that the stroke one of his best friends had is causing him to really re-evaluate everything and also adding a great deal of stress. He hasnt been able to sleep. He's barely been able to eat, and even worse, he has quit training all together(this is how I know he's really in trouble).

Im going to do all I can and recently I made him a custom mix I came up with for anxiety reduction and sleep improvement. I capped him a mix of:valerian root, phenibut, and bulk powerfull. It helped him a great deal with both. The problem was that on the 2nd day he took it, his bloodsugar dropped extremely low, so now, he wont use anymore of it. I have a few things in mind, and Im hoping you guys can chime in as well. Here's what I was thinking(please tell me if you know of any prob's that could happen since he's diabetic):

GABA
5-HTP(or L-trytophan)
L-theanine
Rhodiola Rhosea

I've thought of several different combo's and single supps, but this is what Im thinking of giving him next. I'd love to hear what you guys have used with success. Thanks.
Depression can be serious stuff. I wouldn't mess around with supplements if it's clinical depression. I would recommend a doctors visit. Supps aren't evaluated/studied by the FDA. Drugs affecting benzodiazepine receptors (GABA) or any kind of sedative/tranquilizer can make depression worse. Just my professional opinion.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Depression can be serious stuff. I wouldn't mess around with supplements if it's clinical depression. I would recommend a doctors visit. Supps aren't evaluated/studied by the FDA. Drugs affecting benzodiazepine receptors (GABA) or any kind of sedative/tranquilizer can make depression worse. Just my professional opinion.
Yeah- been through it several times myself- commonly prescribed anti-depressants (Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, etc.) are not the best way to go for most people (at least for myself and a large amount of people I have talked to)- and these are the first things a physician will prescribe.....most supplements are milder in terms of side effects than commonly prescribed anti-depressants- it is worth a try- but I also think he should see a doctor as well....