Is this true?

sdb88m361

Awards
Is the statment below correct?, Please dont answer unless you know for sure.

"N-Acetyl-Cysteine supplements must be taken with vitamin C to prevent cysteine being converted to cystine, which may form kidney or bladder stones."

if this is true how much vitamin C per gram of cysteine will i need?

thanks!

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I've heard this is true

I've read that NAC can deplete vitamin c in the body. I think this is due to the presence of the oxidized NAC in the body once ingested. Perhaps it can have to do with the basic properties of NAC and acidic properties of vit. c, I can't say for sure. However any respectible multi-v should contain 2-3 x the daily % of vit c, with should be plenty to overcome the risk of kidney stones.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow this is a great thread!!

I've been using NAC off and on for years for respiratory and liver health, and for some reason learned to take it with nothing else on an empty stomach. Wondering if anyone can shed any light on that...

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
shed some light

Wow this is a great thread!!

I've been using NAC off and on for years for respiratory and liver health, and for some reason learned to take it with nothing else on an empty stomach. Wondering if anyone can shed any light on that...
NAC is taken on an empty stomach for maximun absorption purposes. However, it is a chelating agent which means that it binds to metal ions in the body. For this reason it should be taken an hour before or 2-3 hours after a multi-v or any minerals. I take it first thing in the morning, then take my multi-v after breakfast. I eat alot of tuna, and use NAC for mercury detoxification. Large quantities of NAC are also found in any whey protein.