Melatonin pre weights higher GH

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
I read about a study from Baylor University, found that trained males given 5mg of melatonin one hour before a leg workout had higher GH levels just before and after they trained than those taking a placebo. It was found that taking melatonin one hour before training can boost your GH levels and provide antioxidant protection that can help your muscles recover. What do you think about this? any personal experiences? Would this be similar to the effect that GABA has in supplementing with it preworkout? Wonder if this could affect sleep, or bodies natural production at night?

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
definitely sounds interesting. i'd like to hear more about this.

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I have heard about this also, but from the degree of .5 to 5mg dosing.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I read about a study from Baylor University, found that trained males given 5mg of melatonin one hour before a leg workout had higher GH levels just before and after they trained than those taking a placebo. It was found that taking melatonin one hour before training can boost your GH levels and provide antioxidant protection that can help your muscles recover. What do you think about this? any personal experiences? Would this be similar to the effect that GABA has in supplementing with it preworkout? Wonder if this could affect sleep, or bodies natural production at night?
It seems like it would make you groggy for your workout, but I've never taken it during the day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It seems like something that would lead to bad WO's, but it could be worth trying. I personally take a nap after lifting for ~20 minutes or so.

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
My GH levels might be a lot higher if I took melatonin preWO......because I would fall over during my WO and go into REM sleep! LOL

I would be WAY TOO groggy to lift :D

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Reading further into this according to research conducted at Liverpool John Moores University shows that when melatonin was taken within 75 minutes before exercise, athletes exhibited neither increased sleepiness nor decreased levels of alertness.
I will try this tonight pre-workout for upper body and let you know how it went.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I also read this study recently...I'm not sure what to make of it considering how well the melatonin puts me down at night (especially with PFull). Lookin forward to seeing any results you guys might have!

BigAsTheSky

Awards
5 mg of Melatonin would have be asleep before I ever got to the gym. Even amped up on ephedirne I would only take 1.5 mg and sleep like a baby.

GH10

Awards
Would you take melatonin prior to operating machinery or driving a car? No, so why take it before lifting when you may be moving 200-500 pounds dependent on the lift. That is a recipe for disaster. Take it prior to bed and it will help your body release more GH than normal anyway and it is much safer. Anyone who tries this should be selected for a Darwin Award automatclly!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
OK my body must hate me cause i recently purchased Melatonin. I took 1.5g one night....felt chilled but i was also llaying in bed TRYING to sleep at 2:30 am.
2nd time- 3gs - same thing but more noticeable when i woke up, little groggy but was able to get going.
I had nightmares both night. Was of last night no dreams/nightmares. Tonight i do 6g.
I have 2 bottles, buy one get one, so i will start to take it PreWO when i get the second.
Also, they say you really don't feel anything if you don't TRY to lay down and sleep. I will try it tomorrow, off work so ill take it mid day and monitor how i feel throughout.

I would love for this to be true since so far it hasen't helped my sleep much at all besides giving me messed up nightmares.
I guess this is cause i am deeper into the REM cycle though.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Whem I take mel, it does help me sleep, but i usually do feel pretty groggy the next morning for an hr. or two.

I kind of doubt it would knock you out in the middle of the day or evening if you were staying active, working out, etc. I don't think it's quite that fast acting or dramatic.

Maybe if you used some caffeine/mental alrtness compounds w/ it pre-workout, it'd keep you focused and awake, but still allow for increased gh output and restful sleep later that night. Anyone try this yet?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Whem I take mel, it does help me sleep, but i usually do feel pretty groggy the next morning for an hr. or two.

I kind of doubt it would knock you out in the middle of the day or evening if you were staying active, working out, etc. I don't think it's quite that fast acting or dramatic.

Maybe if you used some caffeine/mental alrtness compounds w/ it pre-workout, it'd keep you focused and awake, but still allow for increased gh output and restful sleep later that night. Anyone try this yet?
No. But i'd be willing to.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I'd be interested to see how it works for you. Let us know.

Vinny

Awards
OK my body must hate me cause i recently purchased Melatonin. I took 1.5g one night....felt chilled but i was also llaying in bed TRYING to sleep at 2:30 am.
2nd time- 3gs - same thing but more noticeable when i woke up, little groggy but was able to get going.
I had nightmares both night. Was of last night no dreams/nightmares. Tonight i do 6g.
I have 2 bottles, buy one get one, so i will start to take it PreWO when i get the second.
Also, they say you really don't feel anything if you don't TRY to lay down and sleep. I will try it tomorrow, off work so ill take it mid day and monitor how i feel throughout.

I would love for this to be true since so far it hasen't helped my sleep much at all besides giving me messed up nightmares.

The only Melatonin that actually made me sleepy and I fell asleep within 5 to 10 minutes after taking it was Source Naturals brand sublingual tablet.
I mention sublingual as I found it fast acting the non sublinguals took forever to kick in.
It will do nothing pre workout as far as helping with any hormone you have to sleep for that to happen . Thats what I found after trying a few workouts .
If you are able to workout and sleep right after its fantastic for recovery .

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
The only Melatonin that actually made me sleepy and I fell asleep within 5 to 10 minutes after taking it was Source Naturals brand sublingual tablet.
I mention sublingual as I found it fast acting the non sublinguals took forever to kick in.
It will do nothing pre workout as far as helping with any hormone you have to sleep for that to happen . Thats what I found after trying a few workouts .
If you are able to workout and sleep right after its fantastic for recovery .
That'd make it tough to get your post workout shake AND meal in.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established

Do you mean you have been taking 6mcg? I can't imagine what whould happen if someone took 6 GRAMS!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Do you mean you have been taking 6mcg? I can't imagine what whould happen if someone took 6 GRAMS!
Sorry 6mg. I'm bout to start it today and take 3mg for a week PreWO if today goes ok. Then maybe ill bump it up. I got a bottle and a half left. Also. Took some last night before bed, had freakin nightmares again. I don't think i am goin to take this anymore for bed, ill wait for my X-Dream.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Even 6 mg. sounds high. Usual dose is 1.5 mg, sometimes 3 on the high end.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Even 6 mg. sounds high. Usual dose is 1.5 mg, sometimes 3 on the high end.
My tabs are 3mg each. I had another thread about my Melatonin use and it reviews how i react. Some one stated that there has been Rx up to 10mg. Now i know i will prolly build a tolerance so after my week at 3mgs PreWO i will decide if i feel like going 3 days off and bumping to 6mg. Or i will go 2 weeks at 3, then decide.

I understand this is a far far cry from accurate study but i am guessing i will be able to tell. So far i am half way through my Storm. WTF pumped will only be used 2 or 3 days a week.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
My tabs are 3mg each. I had another thread about my Melatonin use and it reviews how i react. Some one stated that there has been Rx up to 10mg. Now i know i will prolly build a tolerance so after my week at 3mgs PreWO i will decide if i feel like going 3 days off and bumping to 6mg. Or i will go 2 weeks at 3, then decide.

I understand this is a far far cry from accurate study but i am guessing i will be able to tell. So far i am half way through my Storm. WTF pumped will only be used 2 or 3 days a week.
I'll be interested to see what you think after doing this test run. let us know how it goes.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
http://www.raysahelian.com/melatonin.html

Just found this site a few interesting things is that.

-My nightmares ARE noted as a side effect of doses over 1-2mgs.

-It is a hormone known to keep body temperature down.

There is alot of info on there though.

fitnecise

Awards
What a dumb idea. Taking it pre workout will screw up your circadian rhythm and decrease GH during night sleep. There is also research suggesting melatonin before workout does nothing for GH and decreases testosterone.

Hey, why don't we all hyperventilate every 10 minutes instead??

1: Int J Sports Med. 1986 Dec;7(6):311-5. Related Articles, Links
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=3100467&dopt=Abstract
Human growth hormone, cortisol, and acid-base balance changes after hyperventilation and breath-holding.

Djarova T, Ilkov A, Varbanova A, Nikiforova A, Mateev G.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of hyperventilation and breath-holding on hormonal activity and the acid-base balance in men. Three different experimental procedures were carried out with 11 trained subjects aged 24.5 years. In experiment I, all subjects performed hyperventilation for 3 min maintaining a paced ventilation of 47 l X min-1. In experiment II, they performed a threefold maximal voluntary breath-holding, separated by 1-min periods of normal breathing. Experiment III consisted of a combination of hyperventilation immediately followed by maximal voluntary breath-holding. Capillary blood samples were taken for determination of pO2, pCO2, and pH. Venous blood samples were drawn before and at the 5th and 30th min after the cessation of the applied procedure for RIA determination of human growth hormone (HGH) and cortisol. During the last 15 s of hyperventilation, pO2 increased to 89.4 +/- 16.2 mm Hg, pCO2 decreased to 19.6 +/- 1.6 mm Hg, and pH increased to 7.652 +/- 0.041. During the last 15 s of the third breath-holding, the results were pO2 = 58.0 +/- 5.1, pCO2 = 45.7 +/- 3.7, and pH = 7.367 +/- 0.053. In experiment III, the mean values were pO2 = 42.6 +/- 7.9 mmHg, pCO2 = 39.2 +/- 4.6 mmHg, and pH = 7.320 +/- 0.024. A significant hormonal response after the applied experimental procedures was found for HGH (1.5- to 5.56-fold increase) and cortisol (1.5- to 2.2-fold increase).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID: 3100467 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1-2 mgs is too high. 500mcg is a good dose to take, before sleep. Taking too much can actually delay your cycle more.
QFT...I used to grab the easy 3mg tabs and my sleep rhythms got incredibly screwed. I stick to 300mcg now, and things are much better.

I also noticed more pleasant results from the sublingual.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I like this:

25 mg active ingredient in benadryl
3 or 6 mg's melatonin delayed release formula

Drowsiness ensure approximate 1-1.5 hours later. It hits hard.

Be sure to take it at leasy 9-10 hours before you have to wake up, and 1-2 before you go to bed.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like this:

25 mg active ingredient in benadryl
3 or 6 mg's melatonin delayed release formula

Drowsiness ensure approximate 1-1.5 hours later. It hits hard.

Be sure to take it at leasy 9-10 hours before you have to wake up, and 1-2 before you go to bed.
Throw in some ZMT and ambien and you will have some cool sleep paralysis effects about an hour after you go to sleep.

GH10

Awards
What a dumb idea. Taking it pre workout will screw up your circadian rhythm and decrease GH during night sleep. There is also research suggesting melatonin before workout does nothing for GH and decreases testosterone.

Hey, why don't we all hyperventilate every 10 minutes instead??

1: Int J Sports Med. 1986 Dec;7(6):311-5. Related Articles, Links
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=3100467&dopt=Abstract
Human growth hormone, cortisol, and acid-base balance changes after hyperventilation and breath-holding.

Djarova T, Ilkov A, Varbanova A, Nikiforova A, Mateev G.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of hyperventilation and breath-holding on hormonal activity and the acid-base balance in men. Three different experimental procedures were carried out with 11 trained subjects aged 24.5 years. In experiment I, all subjects performed hyperventilation for 3 min maintaining a paced ventilation of 47 l X min-1. In experiment II, they performed a threefold maximal voluntary breath-holding, separated by 1-min periods of normal breathing. Experiment III consisted of a combination of hyperventilation immediately followed by maximal voluntary breath-holding. Capillary blood samples were taken for determination of pO2, pCO2, and pH. Venous blood samples were drawn before and at the 5th and 30th min after the cessation of the applied procedure for RIA determination of human growth hormone (HGH) and cortisol. During the last 15 s of hyperventilation, pO2 increased to 89.4 +/- 16.2 mm Hg, pCO2 decreased to 19.6 +/- 1.6 mm Hg, and pH increased to 7.652 +/- 0.041. During the last 15 s of the third breath-holding, the results were pO2 = 58.0 +/- 5.1, pCO2 = 45.7 +/- 3.7, and pH = 7.367 +/- 0.053. In experiment III, the mean values were pO2 = 42.6 +/- 7.9 mmHg, pCO2 = 39.2 +/- 4.6 mmHg, and pH = 7.320 +/- 0.024. A significant hormonal response after the applied experimental procedures was found for HGH (1.5- to 5.56-fold increase) and cortisol (1.5- to 2.2-fold increase).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID: 3100467 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I also said it was a bad idea earlier in this post but no one stepped up, I'm glad someone else also sees the consequences doing this could have.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen it offered in microgram strength.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I also said it was a bad idea earlier in this post but no one stepped up, I'm glad someone else also sees the consequences doing this could have.
Well I guess it's too late....
I had a fine work out i did chest, shoulders, bi. Today is back, tri, abs.
If i notice any problems i will stop. I slept fine and my wood is still plenty there....i got no complaints as of yet

GH10

Awards
Well I guess it's too late....
I had a fine work out i did chest, shoulders, bi. Today is back, tri, abs.
If i notice any problems i will stop. I slept fine and my wood is still plenty there....i got no complaints as of yet

Thats lovely. If the biggest guy at the gym told you cat food was the super secret that all the pros are using to get huge, would you do it? If you have used Real GH, after taking melatonin, you would know that it is not even in the realm of being comparable. I've used GH and taken Melatonan for YEARS, and I have never even thought to compare them, because there isn't a reason to. But if you think it helps, then by all means, continue to do so. Even placebo effects can be nice sometimes.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Thats lovely. If the biggest guy at the gym told you cat food was the super secret that all the pros are using to get huge, would you do it? If you have used Real GH, after taking melatonin, you would know that it is not even in the realm of being comparable. I've used GH and taken Melatonan for YEARS, and I have never even thought to compare them, because there isn't a reason to. But if you think it helps, then by all means, continue to do so. Even placebo effects can be nice sometimes.
Yea, first off don't treat me like a kid. I never do dumb stuff when it comes to BBing. The worst i've done is 4 scoops of NO-Xplode when i started 3 years ago....ooooo. Yea, and if i do get placebo effects sweet.$9 a bottle and got 1 free. I may just give it away casue when i take it i get annoying crazy nightmares too. I know this is far from accurate just thought i'd give it a shot casue alotof people were curious and i say no negative effects.

I'm sure that i will stop now since you've been taking it for a long time, which goes to show there is no long term effects.
I just have to wait for my X-Dream.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Also, i nor did anyone else state seeing GH injection like results but rather rasie the output a little. Like i said a few times i wasn't expecting much but seemed like a good way to rid of the bottle and possibly reaping benefits....

GH10

Awards
Also, i nor did anyone else state seeing GH injection like results but rather rasie the output a little. Like i said a few times i wasn't expecting much but seemed like a good way to rid of the bottle and possibly reaping benefits....

Not trying to treat you like a kid, but I've been around the block and in this game for 15 years and I see things like this alot. I just don't like to see people doing things I know are no benefit. So if I was a little harsh, sorry, getting older and more judgmental I guess. Have a good one

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to treat you like a kid, but I've been around the block and in this game for 15 years and I see things like this alot. I just don't like to see people doing things I know are no benefit. So if I was a little harsh, sorry, getting older and more judgmental I guess. Have a good one
No worries man, i respect the vets. That is why i will prolly discontinue the "study." I was hesitantt o do it as it is casue i like my WTF pumped and i don't like have to many supps interfere when deciding if something works. Be easy man. Thanks.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so I've just read thru all the posts in here. Purely from the Thread Title, suggestion and my experience with Melatonin, I would say no f'n way would I even bother trying it. The lat thing I need when I work out in the evening after a day at the office is a relaxant to get me through my w/o. Remember, someone "paid" for that study at Baylor U, read between the lines ;)

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin may slightly raise GH output...it's hard to say for sure, even if you've used it for yrs. Unless you had blood tests done to determine whether there were an increase or not, there's no way to tell for certain.

I think if someone worked out in the evening and used caffeine pre workout, you wouldn't fall asleep or anything, but I bet you'd get a good night's sleep a few hrs. later. Just what the dr.ordered.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Viper i din't even catch that, thanks bro.
When i did use it once PreWO i relly din't feel any sort of tiredness or crash after, it was a good workout and i was on my 3rd day in a row. Today i vouched not to take it. I had a poor feeling all workout to, like weak and tired. Alot goin on in my life right nwo though so that added to it. I hit Deads at 365x6 tho after lat pulldowns and 5 prior sets. So i am goin to discontinue this until more info arises.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Viper i din't even catch that, thanks bro.
When i did use it once PreWO i relly din't feel any sort of tiredness or crash after, it was a good workout and i was on my 3rd day in a row. Today i vouched not to take it. I had a poor feeling all workout to, like weak and tired. Alot goin on in my life right nwo though so that added to it. I hit Deads at 365x6 tho after lat pulldowns and 5 prior sets. So i am goin to discontinue this until more info arises.
keep doing it be my lab rat. !!

this is something that would probably be impossible to tell a difference just be observation. and would have to be some kinda science ot back it up with blood or whatever samples

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
keep doing it be my lab rat. !!

this is something that would probably be impossible to tell a difference just be observation. and would have to be some kinda science ot back it up with blood or whatever samples

Thats what else i though of. It is goin to be such a small amoutn prolly it would have to get blood work done every week or 2.

Riquee

Riquee

Awards
  • Established

When I started melatonin at 3mgs I had a headache and kind of hangover the next day..I thought this is not my kind of supp... then after a while I tried 1.5 and not much happened..I tried the 1.5 for three days and after this, 1.5 was the best dose for me and puts me to sleep in max 30 minutes without any problems in the morning.. I think you should give the 1.5mgs a chance for a few days..also the nightmares will be gone after the first week of use..sometimes it comes back..A nightmare once in a while is ok with me:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Riquee

Riquee

Awards
  • Established
I do not think I would make it to the gym if I use the melatonin before a workout:afro:

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
I've got an old MD mag where the same idea was tested (Melatonin Pre-workout to test GH release) and they found, in that study, that the Melatonin supplementation had no effect on GH release.

The editors also thought that it was one of the dumbest ideas they had ever heard, regardless of whether it affected GH release, a conclusion that any logical person would come to. The very idea of taking something that's notorious for knocking you out before a workout is absurd at best.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Ok, why is everyone thinks melatonin is such a great sleep aid. It helps a little but far from knowcks you out. I ha to keep bumping up from 1.5mgs just to see effects. I understand that everyone is different but come on, this stuff is not that serious.
Also, i know it is a very very different supp but doesn't Powerfull help sleep and help release GH? Yea it does, I don't see what that has to do with anything...? Usually people supp stuff at night to help with GH increase.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Ok, why is everyone thinks melatonin is such a great sleep aid. It helps a little but far from knowcks you out. I ha to keep bumping up from 1.5mgs just to see effects. I understand that everyone is different but come on, this stuff is not that serious.
Also, i know it is a very very different supp but doesn't Powerfull help sleep and help release GH? Yea it does, I don't see what that has to do with anything...? Usually people supp stuff at night to help with GH increase.
i take 3-6mg melatonin. it really shuts my eyes down but doesnt always get me sleeping

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
yea thats where im at 5-6mg. I get a little tried if i lay down and feel chilled but i def. don't get ow some people make it seem. I just want my X-Dream.
And this thread to end haha