Probiotics

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wondered how many of you have a probiotic in your daily arsenal? And does it work well for you?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer to eat yogurt and between that and the pineapple, I don't have any digestive problems.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I only use them sporadically or when I feel a GI problem coming on, but yes they do help quite a bit in the digestion and immune system departments.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just ordered some with vitilizer. It is part of the package. I will let you know how it goes.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried the whole probiotics bit last year. It gave me the worst smelling gas.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I tried the whole probiotics bit last year. It gave me the worst smelling gas.
I thought they prevented that? What brand did they use. Gut Health is supposed to stop that.

I decided to add one to help buffer all the supps I take.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought they prevented that? What brand did they use. Gut Health is supposed to stop that.

I decided to add one to help buffer all the supps I take.
I used cheap stuff from Wal-mart. (Perhaps that was the problem.) But if I eat a lot of yogurt, it doesn't smell too pleasant either.

Naven

Awards
I use them a lot as I'm on long-term antibiotic therapy for Lyme disease.

IMHO, the best combination is a good full spectrum lactobacillus probiotic combined with Saccharomyces boulardii yeast (Flourostor, etc.). The Sb isn't affected by antibiotics and contributes to a better environment for the Lacto bacteria (supposedly).

Caesar

Caesar

Awards
I just started Gut Health 3 days ago and it's been working very very well for me so far.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don't go cheep. Get quality and you will be fine.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is good stuff but i cant afford it to be a staple really. I used it when i was taking in a VERY good amount of calories on a bulk to help digest. I go the yogurt route now with intent on high fiber diet.

Sinner gets the horrible putrid smelling gas from the gerbil.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used cheap stuff from Wal-mart. (Perhaps that was the problem.) But if I eat a lot of yogurt, it doesn't smell too pleasant either.
Was that the Pearl Drops or the cheap-o spring valley stuff?

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Like Rodja I get my probiotics from the active cultures in yogurt.

herkfsu

Awards
Get some stoneyfield's orgainc yogurt. add in some additional inulin, what the bacteria eat, for great gut health.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've been studying probiotics for a while due to my wife's UC. The possible reason that some probiotics don't do well with some people, IMO, relates to the fact that with over 400 species of bacteria in the gut...all in different ratioes in different people..it's going to depend on if you are adding a species you actually need or not.

Diet and various immune system parameters all contribute to what ratio of organisms you have in your gut. If you are already high in several Lactobacillus species, then adding more of them could cause GI distress..gas, diarhea etcetera..instead of the desired affect of helping you.

I don't state this to dissuade anyone from using probiotics..on the contrary, you might just want to try different brands until you find the right fit.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yogurt also contains dairy, which can in itself exacerbate foul-smelling gas.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how much more of a benefit one would get from using this with an IF diet or with cheats? I'm thinking that it will help with digestion/absorption of some pretty big meals?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have just started taking them again cause ever since stopping ON gold standard which has aminogen there is a lot of gas in the basement.

Has anyone tried Kyolic Kyo-Dophilus 9, I havent tried it but aparently its ment to be the best.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just bought a Kashi cereal that is supposed to be filled with probiotics but I suspect it'll probably prove to be more of a marketing lure than an actual working product. I'm with bio though, I only use them when i'm feeling symptoms of GI coming. I use Gut health as well as some NOW Foods stuff.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
GUT Health. Awesome stuff.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
"I pooped a Hammer" Brick Tamlan
I never really had any problems with the ole poopshute other than that really bad night in panama city but that was due to the tequila.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"I pooped a Hammer" Brick Tamlan
I never really had any problems with the ole poopshute other than that really bad night in panama city but that was due to the tequila.
Did he apologize the next day for being so rough on you? Or is this one of those Donkey things I hear so much about?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Can't remember, I passed out when the winged monkeys showed up, I woke up wearing a pair of wet nikes. Apparently I thought it would be cool to jog naked in the surf. Thank God Before the internet.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Can you stack Gut Health with your standard probiotics?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can't remember, I passed out when the winged monkeys showed up, I woke up wearing a pair of wet nikes. Apparently I thought it would be cool to jog naked in the surf. Thank God Before the internet.
Screech ain't got nothin on you.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I would take it stand alone it works well enough.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you stack Gut Health with your standard probiotics?
Some of the similar strains (the other strains of lacto, especially caseii) will compete for surface area on the intestinal wall, but you can stack them without detriment.

It is important to get an enteric-coated probiotic, to make sure the intact organisms make it to the intestinal tract.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Some of the similar strains (the other strains of lacto, especially caseii) will compete for surface area on the intestinal wall, but you can stack them without detriment.

It is important to get an enteric-coated probiotic, to make sure the intact organisms make it to the intestinal tract.
Is y'all's site down? I'd like to read more about Gut Health.

Can it help with allergies? Food allergies, for example? I've read some strains can do that.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know that I get a hell of a gluten intolerance and that probiotics reduce that issue.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.kashi.com/products/vive_original

Tastes great to me and doesn't cost all that much in comparison to other cereals. I haven't had enough of it to even notice anything as of yet but it's better than froot loops in the nutrition dept.
wow that is some new stuff to me...how would the organisms survive tho? Doesnt sound like there are much probiotics in that by the time you finish eating it, good for fiber tho.