Beginner needs help with first stack...

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
I'm a beginner to supplements more or less, not a beginner to weight lifting or training.. I'm training for a police test and i feel like my routine right now isnt working the way i feel like it should be, after 6 weeks of rigorous training i feel like i should be in better shape and in better condition than i am... so i was considering taking IGF-2 and RPM to help boost my workouts and training... any suggestions?

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Protein shakes, food and sleep is all you need considering what you said. About the RPM.. see what everyone else says. I don't see anything wrong but sounds like your diet is horrible so get that in check.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Age, Height, Weight. How are they lacking? Are you wanting to put on size or build endurance?

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
Age, Height, Weight. How are they lacking? Are you wanting to put on size or build endurance?

Age- 22
Height- 5'10
weight- 185

they are lacking because i feel like i should be faster and stronger by now and i would really love to get my endurance up big time... im not sure if there are any tricks of the trade or not but ive been running consistently 5 days a week for 6 weeks... approximately 40 miles a week and still i dont feel much of an improvement.

Stack3d

Awards
if you just want more energy pre take some caffeine

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Age- 22
Height- 5'10
weight- 185

they are lacking because i feel like i should be faster and stronger by now and i would really love to get my endurance up big time... im not sure if there are any tricks of the trade or not but ive been running consistently 5 days a week for 6 weeks... approximately 40 miles a week and still i dont feel much of an improvement.
if ur lookin for more endurance u could look into somethin like body octane by man

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I hate running. Nobody smiles when they run. I can't help you there. Maybe try some cardio to get your body used to the constant work. If you want a supp for this I don't know one other than something preworkout(No-Explode, NO-Shotgun)

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
if you want more endurance eat properly, lift properly and sleep properly. I believe those are key components. as for supplements since you are a beginner it doesnt really matter, you'll see gains reguardless. RPM should be awesome for supplements but i wouldnt worry about that so early on. your depending on your supps even before you get your training and diet in check. get that in check first and then discuss some supplements :). Altho if you were to get supps RPM is the way to go. also endurance wise ive never tried body oct, it's way too expensive. go with the bulk Citrulline Malate Powder. It does the same as body oct and will cost you a lot less.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Buy yourself some 5# ankle weights or a 20# weighted vest and run like you normally do. When you run without it, you will be amazed.

Also, do you know what exactly is on the police test? Are you looking to train specifically for that test? If you train bench press, you will only get good at bench press, not all things translate to other aspects of 'sport'.

Find out what will be tested and train for that. 50 pushups and 25 pullups, 2 mile run in XX mins, etc. Then do just that stuff, preferably with a weighted vest.

X

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
make sure your diet is in check lots of whole grains and protien along with good fats (efa's) but like stated above depending on what your goals are EG.. if you want to lose fat you need to burn more cals than you take in if you want to gain weight then eat more cals than you burn first you need to know what your RMR is (resting metabolic rate) just google it and you should find some calculators that will give you this info based on your age weight and BF% once you know that you'll be on your way good luck!

Jclaine

Awards
Buy yourself some 5# ankle weights or a 20# weighted vest and run like you normally do. When you run without it, you will be amazed.

X
I'd pass on the ankle weights, while i couldn't find anything on a quick Google search, i know there have been some studies to show that adding weight to your extremities can stress certain joints. While adding core weight; a max 10% of your body weight is much better for your knees, even though running isnt that great for them any ways.

If you want to get faster and or evaluate your progress i recommend using the legar test aka the (warner) beep test.
heres a link for a download of the mp3. do a google search for beep test mp3. I cant post urls yet :(

Other then that like someone else said, sleep and nutrition are key here. As far as supplementation is concerned its not really going to help you out here, right diet and right exercise is going to benefit you the most.

Whats the test date and whats your diet looking like?

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
I'd pass on the ankle weights, while i couldn't find anything on a quick Google search, i know there have been some studies to show that adding weight to your extremities can stress certain joints. While adding core weight; a max 10% of your body weight is much better for your knees, even though running isnt that great for them any ways.

If you want to get faster and or evaluate your progress i recommend using the legar test aka the (warner) beep test.
heres a link for a download of the mp3. do a google search for beep test mp3. I cant post urls yet :(

Other then that like someone else said, sleep and nutrition are key here. As far as supplementation is concerned its not really going to help you out here, right diet and right exercise is going to benefit you the most.

Whats the test date and whats your diet looking like?

thanks everyone for your input i really appreciate it! the test is actually in 20 days and thats why ive been getting weary about it because the work ive put in preparing doesnt seem to be paying off... the test is composed of 4 main parts... pushups, situps, mile and a half run and a 75 pursuit run... ive improved my pushups and situps a bit over the past few weeks and i knocked a few seconds off of my mile and a half time.. nothing too impressive though... however i do see pretty much everyone has mentioned something about the importance of diet, and my diet isnt what you would call clean right now... would a cleaner diet and maybe some extra protein make that much of a difference??

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
would love to chime in with my expert knowledge but nope sorry can't help you be a cop :)

protein, protein, protein

training

rest

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
as was mentioned above, for now, focus on training just for what will be on the test. dont waste your time and energy doing things that wont really contribute much to your test. perhaps complex carbs like oats pre WO for energy/endurance. i heard pslin is great for helping endurance. RPM could be useful as well. get 8 hours of sleep every night, most people do not realize how important that is.

Jclaine

Awards
would love to chime in with my expert knowledge but nope sorry can't help you be a cop :)

protein, protein, protein

training

rest
What is wrong with the police? If you disagree with the laws they enforce then your anger is misplaced. The police are necessary and inherently neutral, the politicians is where your anger should lay. If you don't agree with the laws that are in place do something about it, get out there and vote.

Sry if i potentially hijacked...

Jclaine

Awards
thanks everyone for your input i really appreciate it! the test is actually in 20 days and thats why ive been getting weary about it because the work ive put in preparing doesnt seem to be paying off... the test is composed of 4 main parts... pushups, situps, mile and a half run and a 75 pursuit run... ive improved my pushups and situps a bit over the past few weeks and i knocked a few seconds off of my mile and a half time.. nothing too impressive though... however i do see pretty much everyone has mentioned something about the importance of diet, and my diet isnt what you would call clean right now... would a cleaner diet and maybe some extra protein make that much of a difference??
THis might help i found this on a quick google search.

10 Ways To Improve Your Run Time Wiithout Extra Miles
By: Dave Elger

For years I believed the only way to improve as a distance runner was to run faster, maybe longer, or some combination of both. I’ve sat back and watched the world’s elite runners spend an entire year of unimaginable high volume, high intensity training, just to shave fractions of a second off of their mile or 1500 meter time.

Fortunately, it doesn’t take that much effort for us mortals to improve. In fact, it may be possible for you to become significantly faster without having to do any more distance than you are already doing! Sound too good to be true? Here’s how!

1. Improve your running efficiency: If you are like most runners, you probably over stride and land hard on your heels. Try shortening your stride so your foot strikes a more of a glancing blow beneath your hips. Decreasing foot contact time with the ground makes you feel lighter on your feet and a smoother runner.

2. Increase your stride rate. Quicker leg turnover is necessary to compensate for your new, shorter stride length. Good runners take about 180 steps per minute, or 90 in 30 seconds. Count your number of strides for 30 seconds and try to hit 90 consistently.

3. Add some intensity to just one workout per week. Five or 6 intervals for 2 or 3 minutes at your 5 K pace ought to do it. Ideally this workout is done on a 400 meter track so you can time your intervals and monitor your progress; however you can also just use a watch and a flat stretch of road. Four to six of these workouts should be enough to make a difference in your 5K time.

4. Finish one of your usual easy runs with 4 or 5 striders. Striders are 50-75 meters run at your 5K pace that keep your leg muscles accustomed to faster turnover. Save this one for 2 or 3 days after your short interval workout.

5. Add a spin class, bike some hills, or climb some stairs once or twice a week, especially if your muscles are tired from running. These non-running workouts will boost your level of fitness and may add enough extra leg strength to make a difference in your running times.

6. Get in the habit of stretching key muscle groups, especially as you get older. The evidence is scare that stretching improves running, however as a runner you should stretch hamstrings, calf, gluts, and hip flexors almost daily to ensure good range of motion in your hips.

7. Lose weight if you need it! Extra body fat is like carrying lead in your pockets- it slows you down. Dropping just 2 or 3 pounds of body fat (not water!) by improving your eating habits will make a huge difference in your ability to run. Eliminate just one 12 oz soda or dessert per day and expect to lose a pound or 2 in less than a month!

8. Always take an easy day after your interval workout or any long runs you might be doing. Remember, only 1 hard session per week is all you need. Take the day off before running your next 5K so you are good and rested.

9. Try one or two 1-mile time trials in the weeks leading up to your 5K. This will help you understand pace, decrease anxiety, and even improve fitness. You can substitute this test for your usual short interval workout.

10. Fatigue can often be blamed on dehydration. It takes more than 1 day to ensure that you are fully hydrated, so keep that water bottle handy and sip throughout the day, especially before and after workouts.

BONUS: Smokers will notice improvement within days after quitting without doing anything else!

About Dave Elger
Dave Elger is a well respected authority within the running community having written hundreds of articles on the topics of running and wellness. You can contact him http://www.daveelger.com. He also supports the Okinawa Running Club

From
http://www.theleadingarticles.com/aid20079/10-Ways-To-Improve-Your-Run-Time-Wiithout-Extra-Miles.html