Creatine Cycling

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
What is the best way to cycle creatine from you expeirence? because right now i just take 5g pre-workout and 5g post-workout. Any better ways?

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
The way you are currently taking it is the most common way. The only other way I've heard of is someone suggested taking super high does for three days and then cycling off for the next three days and repeating. I've never tried the second method, but its another possibility. Just make sure if you continue with your current method that you cycle off for at least a couple weeks after a month or two of use.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
The way you are currently taking it is the most common way. The only other way I've heard of is someone suggested taking super high does for three days and then cycling off for the next three days and repeating. I've never tried the second method, but its another possibility. Just make sure if you continue with your current method that you cycle off for at least a couple weeks after a month or two of use.
I do the second method (3 days on at 20-25g per day, 3 days off). The only problem I have with 10g or so per day and then taking a couple weeks off is that you will definitely lose strength during that time off. You will notice your lifts get harder. It's also possible that you will get a little strength decrease after a couple months of continuously dosing at 10g per day. The high dose for 3 days leaves your muscles saturated enough that the three days off allows your receptors to clear out, but you still have enough creatine to keep your strength up. I never get a decrease in strength.

If you're under 170 or so pounds, I would not go beyond 20g per day. Bump it up towards 25g when you gain weight.

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
ok i think i might try the 2nd method, if i do the 2nd method when do i take the doses.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
ok i think i might try the 2nd method, if i do the 2nd method when do i take the doses.
Pre and post workout like you do now. You can do another 5g 2-3 hours after workout, or just wait until later in the PM. Then the last dose in the evening.

Go here and search on creatine cycling for more details:

http://www.ast-ss.com

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
DRINK WATER if you mega dose like that. If you don't you're kidneys will hate you. I am talking a gallon+ a day.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
DRINK WATER if you mega dose like that. If you don't you're kidneys will hate you. I am talking a gallon+ a day.
Excellent point Bama. I guess I take it for granted that everyone knows that part, but yes, you MUST drink at least a gallon a day. You'll feel it if you don't.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Yes, no matter which way you decide to take your creatine water is a must. I didn't realize this myself the first time I used creatine and it almost killed me.

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
ok i usually drink like 5 bottles of water a day idk how much that is. But maybe i should just buy gallon jugs and drink one a day.

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
i have been takeing creatine for about 6-8 weeks and i think it is time for a break but idk how long of one to take.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
At least two weeks I'd say. Anywhere from two weeks to a month should be sufficient in my opinion.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Hey Ecto, I've been considering trying my creatine your way, but I was just wondering if you still cycle off of it or if you just continue 3 on 3 off forever. I'm assuming you still actually cycle off of it for a few weeks.

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
Hey Ecto, I've been considering trying my creatine your way, but I was just wondering if you still cycle off of it or if you just continue 3 on 3 off forever. I'm assuming you still actually cycle off of it for a few weeks.

good question i was thinking the same thing.and ok ya i will take a 2 week break.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
3 days on, 3 days off. Repeat. No extended breaks are necessary. I did take a little time off when I had to lay off lifting for about 2 months this spring. I had a back injury I had to let heal. No point in taking creatine if you're not lifting. But other than that, there's no need to take an extended break. Josh, I'd say you should be fine after 2 weeks off.

Drew, when you say "it almost killed me," are you being literal? Did you have a kidney problem from not getting enough water?

If both of you try this method out, I'd be interested in hearing how you like it. So good luck and let me know how it goes!

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
No not literally. I just got lots of uncomfortable cramps at first, but luckily someone quickly pointed out what I was doing wrong so I was able to fix it and just up my water intake. I think I will be trying your 3 on 3 off method as soon as I get back to school here in a week and a half. I'll let you know how it goes.

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
ya lol i have gotten a good amount of cramp recently now i know what it is lol.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Supplements 1
schroedes Supplements 33
J Supplements 14
B Supplement Logs 1
P Supplements 10