What are the top coporations or companies that make the majority of the supplements?

swtnycboy

Awards
Although it is all different names and created by different brand name companies, what is the major corporation that stands out?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Ajax- The same place Willie Coyote gets all his neat stuff.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
It was I was thinking of something else.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Although it is all different names and created by different brand name companies, what is the major corporation that stands out?

are you talking about who is the biggest contract manufacturer? the biggest raw material supplier? or the biggest private label company?

we have the biggest cornfield

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
are you talking about who is the biggest contract manufacturer? the biggest raw material supplier? or the biggest private label company?

Yes, PA hands down dominates the cornfield market. Competition beware.

I'd suggest also adding the category of biggest make of EFFECTIVE supplements.

swtnycboy

Awards

talking about what is the pharmaceutical company that researches and developes the supplements.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
talking about what is the pharmaceutical company that researches and developes the supplements.
Pharmaceutical companies don't make supplements. Supplement companies make supplements. Pharma companies are regulated by the FDA; supplement companies are not. Big, huge difference.

Not sure what you're getting at here. :blink:

swtnycboy

Awards
Pharmaceutical companies don't make supplements. Supplement companies make supplements. Pharma companies are regulated by the FDA; supplement companies are not. Big, huge difference.

Not sure what you're getting at here. :blink:
i am interested in the whole process. from the pharmaceutical company that research to the companies that develops it to the distributors that distributors. any idea where i can find these ideas? i would try google but i need something more fine to start off.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
As stated, pharmaceutical companies do not make supplements or do the research for them.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
If you're looking for the major companies that stand out, look at the ones with the most print ads. lol. They tend to have the highest budgets. BSN, MuscleTech, EAS, MetRX.

This however does not equate to efficacy.

swtnycboy

Awards
As stated, pharmaceutical companies do not make supplements or do the research for them.
Where does the research come from that makes old supplements obsolete? I know the "research" is paid for by the companies by where do scientist come in and "research" it?

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
To be 100% honest, that's the golden question. Every company is doing things differently. You have Ergopharm with a skilled chemist, and then you have marketing companies that just pile dozens of ingredients into a pill and hype it. Wide range of approaches.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Many of them don't do any research at all. Research is incredibly expensive. They get bigger profits by just going with whatever the hype machine is spewing out, without ever coming to their own conclusions.

ZMA for instance. Vic Conte starts marketing it and everybody jumped on. Did they all do their own research? H*ll no! They just sold it. Basically the same with beta-alanine. One scientist discovered a muscle building use for it and got a patent. Now everybody has to pay him to use it in their own products. You think they're paying even more to make sure it works? No way.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't work, just that supplement companies are NOT research companies, for the most part. Ergopharm may be an exception, AX may be an exception, and I think AST is an exception.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
To be 100% honest, that's the golden question. Every company is doing things differently. You have Ergopharm with a skilled chemist, and then you have marketing companies that just pile dozens of ingredients into a pill and hype it. Wide range of approaches.
Good post :)

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have found that the sponsors from this board have the most effective products! They arn't as heavily advertised, but they don't need to advertise...because their products speak for themselves, they work! That is all the advertising you need, and they are all generouse about samples so you can judge for yourself! Stick with the guys from this forum, only the best are allowed to advertise here. It isn't about who can shell out the most money to advertise here, its about product effectiveness...otherwise you woudl see EAS, BSN, and Muscle Tech only here!

lamuscleman

Awards
  • Established
myth finally got the rep job i see, so how many lap dances did you h ave to give, your a good guy and glad to see you got it

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I believe Muscle-Tech came out with their whole million dollar budget or whatever, made their own ZMA night formula then added NAC as one of the compounds.

NAC can chelate to a certain degree, so why put it in ZMA when you need that Zinc ?

I have such a large detest for Muscle-Tech because they piggyback IFBB pros and the bodybuilding sport, disrespect it with all their garbage ads/promises then reap all the money in. All their 'research' is done overseas like University of Milan or some bullsh-t. That's so f-cking shady. I disreguard research unless it is done in the US under a university that I recognize. If a company believes in their product and stands by it, then they should have no problem proving it otherwise in the US, not some overseas crap.

In a lot of their ads in magazines they rip on other supplements, one that I've noticed in particular is MHP. They have the audacity to call other companies out when the stuff they push is nothing shy of worthless.

Atleast BSN has Endorush, and they have advertising. They don't overkill the bullsh-t in magazines like Muscle-Tech does.

p.s. Does anyone notice Russia's studies seem to always be used to prove just about anything ? Seems like over there they can prove it even if it cannot ever be proved anywhere else. Damn Ruskies.

p.s.s. Oh yeah even if your results suck from Muscle-Tech they got your money anyway so they come out a winner reguardless.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shaklee Corporation is the largest natural supplement company. Once owned partially by yamanouchi pharmaceutical one of the largest drug companies in japan and around the world.
Shaklee does there own research and even getting there products published in peer review medical journals.
They fly around the world to find raw materials to do research. They even have tones of supplements not sold but just done for research reasons. They have been around for 50+ years in the biz. "Many of them don't do any research at all. Research is incredibly expensive. They get bigger profits by just going with whatever the hype machine is spewing out, without ever coming to their own conclusions."

Shaklee I know from the guy I buy from he said they spent over 250 million in R and D. Not sure if that is a lot.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Shaklee Corporation is the largest natural supplement company. Once owned partially by yamanouchi pharmaceutical one of the largest drug companies in japan and around the world.
Shaklee does there own research and even getting there products published in peer review medical journals.
They fly around the world to find raw materials to do research. They even have tones of supplements not sold but just done for research reasons. They have been around for 50+ years in the biz. "Many of them don't do any research at all. Research is incredibly expensive. They get bigger profits by just going with whatever the hype machine is spewing out, without ever coming to their own conclusions."

Shaklee I know from the guy I buy from he said they spent over 250 million in R and D. Not sure if that is a lot.

I think as a buying consumer, a company has a responsibility towards consumers being that they are taking our money. If research is needed, they need to do it. There is nothing wrong with a fair trade in goods, but like I said, I know a lot of people work pretty f-cking hard for their money and they deserve to have the company uphold their end of the bargain.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
myth finally got the rep job i see, so how many lap dances did you h ave to give, your a good guy and glad to see you got it
Thanks man! I only had to give 3, I guess I was just that good.....or bad???

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think as a buying consumer, a company has a responsibility towards consumers being that they are taking our money. If research is needed, they need to do it. There is nothing wrong with a fair trade in goods, but like I said, I know a lot of people work pretty f-cking hard for their money and they deserve to have the company uphold their end of the bargain.
Well then Shaklee is doing there job and has been as 50 years is a long time for a company to be around and I herd they actually had a product 40 years before that before they became a company. I just looked at my catalog I buy from and says 1915 is there 1st product. So they must be doing something right or else for 90 years they have been ripping people off lol. Now if more people would do research on there products/raw materials even have published studies on there product not the raw martial than I think we would have better products. If the FDA did say with out published studies than you can't have a product I think over 75-85% of the companies would be out of business. Bottom line. I work in a Dr's office where people take these generic brands or OTC supplement and when time comes for blood work ends up being a placebo.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Well then Shaklee is doing there job and has been as 50 years is a long time for a company to be around and I herd they actually had a product 40 years before that before they became a company. I just looked at my catalog I buy from and says 1915 is there 1st product. So they must be doing something right or else for 90 years they have been ripping people off lol. Now if more people would do research on there products/raw materials even have published studies on there product not the raw martial than I think we would have better products. If the FDA did say with out published studies than you can't have a product I think over 75-85% of the companies would be out of business. Bottom line. I work in a Dr's office where people take these generic brands or OTC supplement and when time comes for blood work ends up being a placebo.
I'm not familiar with Shaklee, so I'll have to look them up. But just a couple follow ups. First, I agree with your comment about the majority of companies going out of business if they were forced to publish research on their products. This was basically my original point. Many companies out there are downright fradulent. Second, "or else for 90 years they have been ripping people off." This would not be unheard of! Talk to me in about 80 years and if Muscletech is still around, you owe me a pint! I'll be 109, so my doctor will have to approve the beer... Aw, screw him! But many, many companies, including grand old companies like Ford, GE, etc. have been around for decades and it could be argued that they have ripped people off at some point in their existence.

Bottom line is that it's important to be skeptical.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm not familiar with Shaklee, so I'll have to look them up. But just a couple follow ups. First, I agree with your comment about the majority of companies going out of business if they were forced to publish research on their products. This was basically my original point. Many companies out there are downright fradulent. Second, "or else for 90 years they have been ripping people off." This would not be unheard of! Talk to me in about 80 years and if Muscletech is still around, you owe me a pint! I'll be 109, so my doctor will have to approve the beer... Aw, screw him! But many, many companies, including grand old companies like Ford, GE, etc. have been around for decades and it could be argued that they have ripped people off at some point in their existence.

Bottom line is that it's important to be skeptical.

I also want to add to Ecto's comment, it is also important to be a smart consumer. (this may sound obvious however people defy it everyday...its sad I know).

anabolicstate

anabolicstate

Awards
Pharmaceutical companies don't make supplements. Supplement companies make supplements.
I had the impressions that the majority of companies have their
products made by the same handful of contract pharmaceutical companies. Maybe they alter, or personalize, the
label, the color, and the shape – but it’s essentially all the same story.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Actually few drug companies do make supplements like vitamin D supplements and fish oil i.e omacor by Lovazar and many pre natal vitamins are prescription.

anabolicstate

anabolicstate

Awards
I apologize but I'm having trouble understanding your post. Did you mean to say "Actually a few drug companies..." or did you mean it how you wrote it?

One is agreeing with my post and the other isn't.:confused: