Whey Isolate and citric acid, bad idea?

The Mayor

Awards
I'vew been using Syntrax Nectar for a while and want to try the Carribian Cooler with OJ but I'm concerned the high level of acidity in the OJ will have a negative effect on the protein. Is there cause for concern or not?:confused:

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I don't see why that would be a problem, no. I haven't heard anything about acidity affecting protein digestion, anyone else?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Not really.. the main thing that breaks down protein in the stomach is an enzyme called pepsin with alittle help from the HCl. I don't think that citric acid has the strength in the small amounts that are found in most drinks.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Not really.. the main thing that breaks down protein in the stomach is an enzyme called pepsin with alittle help from the HCl. I don't think that citric acid has the strength in the small amounts that are found in most drinks.
Even if the citric acid affected the pepsin in the stomach, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Pepsin breaks proteins down into polypeptides, not into un-usable material.

T-Bar

Awards
I was thinking about mixing some of that Nectar with some pineapple juice to drink before/during work-out. Right now I use Universal Rage, but it has alot of ephedra/caffiene/ephedrine in it as well, and I don't want to take that **** anymore.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
no cause for concern. more importantly, do you like the Nectar product?

The Mayor

Awards
I LOVE Nectar. I have a jug of each flavor and rotate them through the day.

1 serving with breakfast
Doube serving post workout
1 serving at 3:30 in the morning to keep my protein needs satisfied

each time I take it I use a different flavor so I don't get tired of it too soon. I can't stand milky proteins now.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
very cool man thanks for the feedback. am planning on trying it myself soon.

The Mayor

Awards
Make sure you make it with water as cold as possible. It tastes best ice cold.
When i make mine with a blender I put 4 ice cubes in the mix with water and it's liek a protein slurpee.

entic

Awards
just a note, biggs-you might want to stick to the apple flavor to play it safe, as few people like the other two. i think carribean cooler ain't so bad, but cherry makes me gag every time. i had to give away my bottle.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
awesome. thanks for the tip as well entic... guess maybe we should start a different thread when you get yours sheesh, heh...