What supplements are, and what they do: a Beginner's guide

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
So you decided to get serious with lifting. You obviously believe you're ready to take it to the next level since you are here in the supplement section, but are you really ready? Allow me to ask you, what's your foundation like? Have you laid down everything with a solid nutrition plan, sleep pattern, and a grueling, well-planned workout? Think of supplements as your furniture, electronics, and other accessories. What good are they if you have not set down a solid foundation and framework to put them in? So before you start going crazy with supplements, make sure you have put the majority of your focus and attention on how you are setting yourself up for the future. If that means stepping away from the more supplements for a while, and going over to the nutrition section to get things on point, than I can assure you it will not be time wasted. When it comes down to it, all supplements will not benefit you if you are not properly built to handle them. So I encourage you all to take a few steps back, and look at YOUR house.
DaveGabe24

Allright, I present myself, Jjohn. I am a representant for Molecular Nutrition, and no need to say that I stand for what I recommend, and have a lot of knowledge. I would like to share my experience with others, so you don't make the same mistake(s) that I did. I will, in this thread, highlight what are supplements, and why/how they can help you, as well as the cost-efficiency of these products. I will do my best on this one to set every curious in the right direction. Now let's get started:

What are supplements?

A supplement is supposed to be a fix for a deficiency in someone's diet. For example, iron is a supplement for those who have a deficiency. BUT, there is a lot more to it, and it gets tricky. Some supplements are good, but other supplements are not actual supplements, or sometimes, they can be actual steroids. Some companies make a lot of money selling prohormones (we won't talk about this, just go in the steroids section please) simply because of the fact that they work. So I will state it again, if you're over 21, and are interested, just visit the steroids section to know how to efficiently use them without being too harsh on yourself. So bottom line is: a bottle named "Supplement" can be pretty much anything. Read on.

What types of supplements can I use? I just started.

Now you are 100 lbs wet, you want to be fit, and huge to impress the ladies. Beleive me, it won't happend overnight. I have been training for about 5 years now, and still have a lot to do. If you think that a bottle of pills, or a stack of the 20 latest products out will transform you, you're wrong. Yes, wrong. A certain product might help you with strength, or whatever, but that just might make you "push" less that what you could do without them. What do I recommend for the starter?

Protein supplements

Protein is essential for growth. You might want to supplement to increase your daily intake. I suggest at least 1 gram per Lbs. of bodyweight, so if you're 100 lbs, you eat at least 100 grams per day. It is not essential, but it is the most usefull tool for us. There are different types of protein supplements:

Whey:

Whey is the most popular supplement used. It is the fastest type of protein absorbed (Whey isolate). There are also blends of whey concentrate and isolate. It is cheaper, but works very well too. People who are intolerant to lactose should choose some isolate as the concentrate might cause some discomfort.

Hydrolyzed:

This type is the quickest to digest, as it's been already broken down into amino acids. To do this, there is a pancreatic enzyme that has been added to break them down. Good protein to use post workout.

Casein:

Casein is found in cottage cheese as well. A casein supplement is often used before bedtime, as it is slow released. For more than 7 hours, amino acids are delivered in the bloodstream, and will cause a time delivery while sleeping.

Egg whites:

Egg whites are in the middle. Your body will digest it in about 6 hours. It is a very popular one as well, but is mostly found in blends of all three, like Designer Supplements's Sustain.

Do not forget to cook them as it will help with absorption. Drinking them like Rocky isn't such a good idea. Cooked egg whites have a (90%) far better absorption rate than raw(50%).
Weight Gainers:

This part I don't like. Weight gainers are full of carbs, fat, and protein. I prefer whole food over this. No need to say more. But for the ones that are naturally "Ultra Ripped" and are looking to push in more calories, this is a good way to do it.

Creatine:

This is something completely up to you. I decided to put it there, as a lot of people recommend it. If you decide to use it, and done your research, use plain creatine monohydrate. Do not forget that water intake has to be very high as well in order to reap all of it's benefits.

Monohydrate:

Almost every company manufactures these, use Micronized creatine. That means there is a better absorption and less water retention/bloating. You probably have noticed that there are a lot of types of creatine. It all comes down to one thing: Money. Creatine is well known to increase strength, and give safe and effective results. Now here are a few kinds I will list.

Di-Creatine Malate:

This is simply creatine monohydrate with malic acid. There is no such thing as Tri creatine malate. This is a marketing trick. It is very effective but is known to cause bloating.

CEE:

Very controversial. I must say it is the most these days. A lot of people loved it when it first came out. This creatine is esterified to increase it's lipopholic capabilities, and enter the cell wall more eficiently.

Gluconate:

Gaspari Nutrition has introduced this type of creatine in the product "SizeOn". This creatine pretends to permeate the cell wall even better than esterified creatine, as what is left when the molecule is divided in ions, is carbohydrates, instead of ethanol.

Purple K/Kre Alkalyn

This formula is patented, and it claims to cause no water retention, and amazing results. I can confirm it gives no water retention, but the results part is up to you to decide. It is ph stable, as it is soda ash and creatine monohydrate. Reviews are mixed.

Magnesium Creatine Chelate

This is magnesiun + creatine chelate. It claims to be 12% more effective than creatine alone, as magnesium is required to convert creatine to ATP(Energy source). There should be no creatinine residue, as it is ph protected in the stomach.

I've been training for a year now, and I want an edge!

Here comes the interesting part of this guide. There are so many categories, I will definetly forget one LOL. Here we go:

Performance enhancers aka stimulants:

These, you have to be carefull. You take too much, and you might get addicted, and end up like me, with tired adrenal glands. They help you have a great workout, but use with caution, as they are very easy to get, and pretty cheap. USE WITH CAUTION

All In Ones (NO + Creatine blend):

These have become very popular since NO Xplode hit the market a few years ago. Now almost every company has a volumizer like this. They're all different, but all have similarities. You'll find Arginine, and creatine. Now there are many different creatine forms: Esterified, alpa Keto Glutarate, DiCreatine Malate, TriCreatine Malate (doesn't exist actually, it is DiCreatine Malate), etc.. Arginine can also have many different forms: Ester, Alpha KetoGlutarate etc.. A lot of these products have stimulants in them, like caffeine. Again, do lots of reading before choosing the one that suits your needs. I'll give you a selection I liked: Superpump 250 (Gaspari Nutrition), Smash (Axis Labs) SizeOn(Gaspari) White Flood (Controlled Labs)

Meal Replacements:

All of these are just in case of emergency, when you cannot have some whole food (Never happends to me) It will replace a small meal. Here are a few: Ensure, Slim Fast etc..

Testosterone boosters:

We have a wide selection here:

Fadogia agrestis (Rubiaceae)

Have been shown toincrease testosterone in male albino rate. It's popularity is increasing rapidly these days. Not alot of studies are published on this one, I expect a lot of demand on this product in the near future, as it is fairly new to the industry.

Longjack:

This frees up more testosterone, so your body has more available. I won't go in detail too much on this subkect, as I might never end typing.

Nettle Root:

Binds to SHGB to free up testosterone. A lot of users report some acne problems, so make sure you got control of it before using it. Products: ActivAte (Designer Supplements) were the ones who made this product so popular. Another one is Mass FX (Anabolic Xtreme). They're both good products, so read on a few reviews to make your decision.

Tribulus:

There are no studies that prove that is raises testosterone. It does raise libido, and increase agression. This is not a test booster as no studies have shown to actually raise testosterone levels. If you have libido problems, it actually can help alot.

Others:

I listed the ones I thought to be the most popular ones, that I have used. Let me know if there is anything to add.

Sleep Aid:

These are very popular these days, especially since IBE's X-Dream product came out. I haven't used this product, but according to the reviews, it is very good.

ZMA

ZMA is a powerfull sleep aid that supports testosterone levels. It is a precise blend of Zinc, Magnesium, as well as vitamin B6 to increase absorption. It is very effective and popular for many athletes. Just be carefull not to use it at the same as a dairy product, because they(Calcium and Zinc) compete for absorption.

5 HTP:

This is found in turkey, main reason why you want to sleep at new year's. It helps a lot with sleep issues.

GABA:
GABA is also well known to raise Growth Hormone levels. It causes a tingling effect and definetly helps with REM sleep.

Valerian root:

Another good product. There are teas and capsules. Very relaxing supplement.

Melatonin:

This supplement is a little controversial. It helps with sleep, but no one really knows how. Use with caution, this is very strong stuff.

Others:

There are many other supplements that help with sleep. This list contains the most popular, and effective ones, from personal experience.

Arachidonic Acid:

This is a supplement on it's own. I am biased on this review, but I strongly recommend that you look at the many reviews on this forum. This will give you a good 5-10 lbs gain, and a good inch off your waist. No need for a PCt as this is non steroidal.

Aromatase inhibitors:

These are very popular, as they raise testosterone. They are effective, but under 21, I wouldn't say it's cost effective. Because your oestrogen level is low, your testosterone/oestrogen ration has changed, so please read up on this before buying it. Some of these compounds are: ATD, 6-bromo, etc..

Joint aid:

A lot of lifters are harsh on their joints, and need a little help. Here are a few compounds:

Glucosamine:

This is naturally in your system, it takes awhile to build up before seeing effects. It is one of the best products for joint pain. It has a lot of studies to back up, and is proven safe and effective.

Cissus:

Some might have heard SuperCissus. Originally, USPLabs released this product, and I have to say that he got his reputation right there. It releives, and works extremely well for many users.

MSM:

Another product beleived to help with joints. It is found in glucosamine formulas a lot, and users seem to report better results when taken together than alone.

Growth Hormone:

Whenever you see something like this, it isn't hormonal(unless...) It is mainly a blend of products mainly made to raise growth hormone. They will, as well, help with sleep big time: Here are a few products: IGF-2 (Applied Nutriceuticals) Powerfull (USPLabs) and the list goes on.

Vitamins:

There are many types of vitamins out there. I recommend a multivitamin, where you find everything you need, in case of deficiencies. Here are good ones: ADAM (NOW Foods) Daily Vits (NOW Foods) Orange Triad (Controlled Labs)

BCAA's/EAA's

Branched Chained amino acids/Essential Amino Acids help with recovery, and anti catabolism. The three amino acids that are part of the "BCAA's" are: Leucine, isoleucine, and valine. They all play an inportant part in protein synthesis. Some users report very good results when using leucine alone, along with dextrose immediately after workout. They have become very popular now and especially at AM. Some good ones: ICE (Xtreme Formulations) Xcell(Anabolic Innovations) Xtend (Scivation) Purple Wraath (Controlled Labs)

Citruline Malate

This product can be found in bulk, or in some BCAA type products like the ones listed above. It was originally discovered in a watermelon, and since then, it has been brought in the industry to help reduce lactic acid, which will decrease muscle soreness (DOMS). It is very popular when stacked with creatine to help with strength and recovery.

Glucose disposal tools:

I call these glucose disposal tools, as they will claim the following: "Use your carbs to fuel your muscles, and have huge pumps without gaining fat" Now I do beleive the pumps, but really doubt the fact that the "no fat gain" is 100% true. Of course, when giving your pancreas a break, you decrease the risk of diabetes, which makes it worth a lot if you have a "diabetic family", like I have. Here are some of the most popular ones:

Vanadyl Sulfate:

This is a mineral that has been well known for awhile, and even though it is not too popular these days, it seems to have resurfaced. It is very effective stacked with creatine.

Berberine/Anabolic Pump/Yellow Gold:

These ones were introduced by USPLabs and work very efficiently. Most users report a good pump, and decreased bodyfat.

ALA/R-ALA/K-R-ALA/NA-R-ALA:

These all are Alpha Liopic Acid. Some newer forms have been created over the years, since Designer Supplements introduced Glucophase XR, which was Potasium-R-ALA. Shop around for a maximum cost efficiency ratio.

Beta Alanine:

Using beta-alanine has became a religious practice for many bodybuilders, including myself. Beta-alanine has been shown to increase the concentration of carnosine in muscles, decrease fatigue in athletes and increase total muscular work done. All of this means that it is a great supplement to reach those "last two reps".

Don't forget that results come with a good diet, and training. Don't forget to sleep! Everything is vital when attempting to gain some size.

Now there you go. This is a simplified guide to any beginner that wants to know more about supplements. Should I add anything please let me know!

Last edited:

getbustered

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sweet post. I can tell you put some time into writing it. Nice.:thumbsup:

AtomSmasher

AtomSmasher

Awards
  • Established
This should be marked somehow to stop noobs from asking the same ?s over and over. Great post, you definetly took more time than most people to explain things that should be known by everyone. Bravo :clap2:

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This should be a required first read for people just applying to the site. Very well done, and awesome write-up!

There's a ton more areas you can hit like immune system supports, probiotics, herbals, but for now you definitely hit the main focuses of first-time supplement users.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
This should be a required first read for people just applying to the site. Very well done, and awesome write-up!

There's a ton more areas you can hit like immune system supports, probiotics, herbals, but for now you definitely hit the main focuses of first-time supplement users.
My main goal was to put the focus on the most popular ones for now. With suggestions, I will gladly add them. I want the starter to be able to read a label, and actually understand a little bit of what he's using.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
sticky!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Vanadyl Sulfate has grown out of popularity, but still quite effective. Good thing you mentioned it there.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Testosterone boosters:
Others:

I listed the ones I thought to be the most popular ones, that I have used. Let me know if there is anything to add.
I'd add Fadogia based (such as Omega T-force) to the test boosters. Its similar to trib based, but I found it to be WAY more noticeable at label dosage than even double dosed trib. freakin acne :)

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I'd add Fadogia based (such as Omega T-force) to the test boosters. Its similar to trib based, but I found it to be WAY more noticeable at label dosage than even double dosed trib. freakin acne :)
Added :thumbsup:

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Well done J. I could see this becoming sticky-worthy --- maybe with a little more editing :D

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Well done J. I could see this becoming sticky-worthy --- maybe with a little more editing :D
There will always be new things coming out in the industry... At least we have a good foundation here.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its nice to give a spot for the under-21 crowd to see what is reasonable and helpful for them to take before messing with any of the ph/designer/etc. Also nice to give a listing for people who want to stay able to compete in natural events.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well we can say it...but can we make it sticky worthy? :) Let's see how this goes over the next couple of days and go from there.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
My main goal was to put the focus on the most popular ones for now. With suggestions, I will gladly add them. I want the starter to be able to read a label, and actually understand a little bit of what he's using.
this is a great idea and hopefully people can chip in and give some help

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great writeup! A few extra things;

I think you should add ZMA to the Sleep Aid section.
Also maybe expand a bit on the BCAA/EAA's category, just give a quick rundown how they're 3 Amino Acids metabolized in muscle not liver or something short and sweet. Also maybe mention looking into taking just L-Leucine

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think in the creatine section, perhaps you could say:

If you have tried the CM and experience dissapointing results, then there are other possible forms such as:

Then you can list, malates, chelates, gluconate.

I'd also like to see a bit of information as to why CEE is not the best of ideas as far as creatine supplementation. Could simply state that creatinine will not give the desired results of creatine.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Great writeup! A few extra things;

I think you should add ZMA to the Sleep Aid section.
Also maybe expand a bit on the BCAA/EAA's category, just give a quick rundown how they're 3 Amino Acids metabolized in muscle not liver or something short and sweet. Also maybe mention looking into taking just L-Leucine
Added ZMA, Leucine, and citruline malate :thumbsup: Thanks for the help!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I think in the creatine section, perhaps you could say:

If you have tried the CM and experience dissapointing results, then there are other possible forms such as:

Then you can list, malates, chelates, gluconate.

I'd also like to see a bit of information as to why CEE is not the best of ideas as far as creatine supplementation. Could simply state that creatinine will not give the desired results of creatine.
I have added the extended creatine part!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make sure that the changes suggested are in a productive manner and if there are issues or errors that they get pointed out too. After all, these threads are designed to educate people so we have to leave egos at the door when trying to brainstorm information. Especially when there are several points of view on some of these categories mentioned.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Make sure that the changes suggested are in a productive manner and if there are issues or errors that they get pointed out too. After all, these threads are designed to educate people so we have to leave egos at the door when trying to brainstorm information. Especially when there are several points of view on some of these categories mentioned.
I have edited them Jay :)

extremenergy3

extremenergy3

Awards
  • Established
this is a great idea and hopefully people can chip in and give some help
This should be more sticky than my hand while looking at your avi!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the support guys, it's coming along very well.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
It's not bad, but it is missing a lot of things IMO...
Ya, I agree. This was more a VERY simple flowchart for all the people who would flood the message board with "How do I get big?" or "Should I buy protein or just use steroids instead?". For somebody who has never really lifted before it's simple enough, but I agree, if you are serious it is nowhere near complete. This is going to be a good thread though.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Nice job jjohn I like where its going.

Havent read it all yet, but R U planning on adding bp and cholesterol supps?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Nice job jjohn I like where its going.

Havent read it all yet, but R U planning on adding bp and cholesterol supps?
That could be a good idea. I would have to make another section so that we don't confuse them with "I wanna be big supplements".

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Alright. I'll be working on a new section concerning general health now!

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
This NEEDS to be a sticky!

I wish this was a sticky when I joined..

I would have saved a lot of time and money.

Excellent Post

rerun717

Awards
Great job John. This is great for someone who's a little newer like myself. It's great to be on a site where people are so helpful.

stewy37

Awards
Good job on this thread. A lot of solid, basic information for anyone looking for where to start.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Im bumping this thread because there are too many new users with the same supplements questions.."how do I got big".."what protein should I take"..."what creatine is best"..

Yes, I know, my first couple posts here on AM were the same thing, but I think we should have this a sticky so (hopefully) the noobs can read it.

Anyone agree with me on this that it is getting somwhat annoying?

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
can we put a big red warning label about buying MT products? Put a skull and crossbones with it or something to get the point across. :)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Just came across this. Good read for beginners! bump :p