bulk powder measuring in general...specifically BCAAs

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Ok, everyone is going to rip on me for this and I'm 90% sure I'm correct here, but can anyone confirm my math.

1/4 tsp = 400mg on the tub.

I say 1tsp = 1.6g
I also say tbsp = roughly 5g if I heap it a little

The final question. When people say take 5grams of creatine, or 5 grams of dextrose, etc. are they typically referring to size or weight? I assume weight, but usually I just equate 5 grams of anything powder to about a tablespoon.

OK, now let the ripping on the new guy begin ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Measure by weight, not by volume. For example, a teaspoon of sugar is ~5 grams, but a teaspoon of tyrosine is only slightly more than 1 gram.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A grams is a measurement of weight. You can correlate that to volume, but they are not the same.

What weighs more; a ton of lead or a ton of cotton?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Measure by weight, not by volume. For example, a teaspoon of sugar is ~5 grams, but a teaspoon of tyrosine is only slightly more than 1 gram.
That's what I was afraid of :) - Now I can't just take my trusty tablespoon and use it to make "5 grams" of everything. I gotta go back an look up the facts on dextrose and maltodextrin.

Attachments

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
if you get on ebay you can get a cheap 0.00g scale for 15-20 bucks.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's what I was afraid of :) - Now I can't just take my trusty tablespoon and use it to make "5 grams" of everything. I gotta go back an look up the facts on dextrose and maltodextrin.
Malto is approx .5g/ml

psychospic

psychospic

Awards
  • Established
I thought the measurement on each bulk powder was specific to that powder so that when I measure out 1/4 teaspoon I am getting the amount listed on the label, is that not the case?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I thought the measurement on each bulk powder was specific to that powder so that when I measure out 1/4 teaspoon I am getting the amount listed on the label, is that not the case?
Yes, that appears to be the case. I was a just a tad confused there for a minute. I don't have a scale at home so when I estimated my dextrose / maltodextrin I just used a generic idea that 1 tablespoon is roughly 5grams. However as I have been told, each powder can have a different amount of grams per tablespoon depending on it's density.