Fish oils and after taste

nobady

Awards
Can anyone suggest a quality fish oil that does not leave a nasty or any after taste? Any help would be much appreciated!

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you take them with food, and/or take less caps each time.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Try putting them in the fridge
yes i keep mine in the fridge they are solid as a rock and have like no taste. but of coures dont keep them in your mouth thats gross just pop a pill and down some liquid asap

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
try an enteric coated type or just eat fish.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I just bought some that are slightly lemon flavored..or rather scented on the inside I presume. I haven't had too bad of fish burps from them.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
I just bought some that are slightly lemon flavored..or rather scented on the inside I presume. I haven't had too bad of fish burps from them.
were they Nordic something? i got these too & am very happy with them. cost more but helped drop my blood pressure within 2 weeks of starting them. walmart brands didn't do that.

cmp007

Awards
  • Established
I just got a bottle from walmart. Just the generic kind they have there and I dont taste anything from them.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can anyone suggest a quality fish oil that does not leave a nasty or any after taste? Any help would be much appreciated!
Omega guard is awesome. No burppy feeling or fish after taste.

william3162

Board Supporter
Awards
Continue taking it until you get use to it. The benefits outweigh the crappy taste. Enteric coated pills work for some people but there isno guarantee. The best advice is to take them together with meals.

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
I recommend these. The quality is good and the prices are reasonable.

Ascenta - Nutrasea HP

NutraSea 'HP' (High Potency) is a unique concentrated pharmaceutical grade fish oil that delivers enhanced benefits. The special 3:1 EPA/DHA ratio is supported by the most current medical research. NutraSea is produced from wild fish of the herring family. Wild fish are generally higher in omega-3s and do not contain the levels of environmental contaminants found in farmed fish. NutraSea hp is high potency for enhanced benefits. Each softgel is of pharmaceutical quality and has contains great lemon flavor.

Questions and Answers:

1. Is NutraSea pharmaceutical grade?
We only use the term "pharmaceutical grade" to convey NutraSea's superior quality and purity. Consumers must keep in mind that the term "pharmaceutical grade" is not an official classification for fish oil and there are currently no standards that define pharmaceutical grade fish oil (the definition cited in the book "OmegaRx" by Barry Sears is not derived from a regulated source). Some companies use the term "medical grade" fish oil which, like "pharmaceutical grade", is not an official classification.The most important criterion for quality is that the fish oil surpasses all the standards set forth by the CRN (Council for Responsible Nutrition). These internationally accepted standards are the most stringent in the industry and only the highest quality fish oils meet these standards. NutraSea surpasses all CRN standards for quality and purity.

2. Is NutraSea molecular distilled?
The advanced proprietary purification of NutraSea utilizes several purification processes, including molecular distillation, that result in the highest levels of quality and purity available.

3. Is NutraSea third party tested?
Yes, each and every batch of NutraSea is tested by at least one independent laboratory to guarantee that it surpasses the industries most stringent standards for quality and purity. With third party testing, consumers can consume NutraSea without ever having to worry about the risk of toxins commonly found in both wild and farmed fish.

4. Is the oil cold pressed?
Cold pressing is possible for plant materials such as flax seed or olives but cannot be employed for the processing of fish oils. Some processing and purification stages require the oil to be heated. With NutraSea, these stages are carefully performed under a strict oxygen free environment and are carefully monitored so that the final product is of the highest quality and purity.

5. NutraSea is from fish - does it taste fishy?
A fishy taste is only characteristic of lesser quality fish oils. NutraSea undergoes processing that removes volatile compounds that can cause unpleasant odors or taste. A fishy odor or taste is also caused by rancidity. Rancidity occurs when the oil starts to oxidize (breakdown). NutraSea contains a proprietary natural antioxidant blend that protects it against oxidation.

6. Is NutraSea safe to consume during pregnancy?
NutraSea is completely safe to consume during pregnancy, however, you should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise, or supplementation program. NutraSea supplies the omega-3 fatty acids that are vital to the healthy development of the fetus brain and nervous system.

7. What is the difference between EPA and DHA?
Both EPA and DHA are active forms of the omega-3 family. They have a similar structure but play very different roles in the body. You can think of DHA's role as more structure/function and EPA's role as regulatory. DHA is an extremely important component of cellular membranes and is highly concentrated in all nervous system tissue including the brain and eyes. Without DHA the cells do not function properly and can lead to degeneration of the tissue. EPA on the other hand is the precursor to a class of hormone-like chemicals called eicosanoids.

8. NutraSea is a fat - will I gain weight from taking it?
No! The good news is that the consumption of omega-3 fish oils can actually lead to weight loss. The omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA are not likely to become fat stores because the body will utilize them for more important functions. Even though these omega-3s are not stored as fat, like all fats, they will stimulate the burning of stored fat in the body. Another benefit for dieters is that EPA and DHA can improve insulin sensitivity - an important requirement for appetite and weight control.

9. Is a product with a higher omega-3 concentration better?
Higher concentrations of omega-3 (60-90% omega-3s) are not more effective and are usually less stable than fish oil with naturally occurring concentrations (35%). Higher concentration fish oils are usually in the form of ethyl esters as opposed to the natural triglycerides found in NutraSea. Studies have shown that natural triglycerides offer up to 2-3x better absorption than synthetic ethyl esters.

10. I currently get my omega-3s from flax seed - how does this compare to fish oil? Most health experts do not consider flax seed as a beneficial source of omega-3 fatty acids due to the very low conversion rate to the useable omega-3 metabolites EPA & DHA The omega-3s in flax are in a form called ALA. Your body must convert ALA to the active forms of omega-3 EPA & DHA. Numerous studies have demonstrated that this conversion typically results in only 5-10% of ALA being converted to EPA & DHA. This poor conversion is primarily due to human genetics but can be reduced further by poor nutrition and stress.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
the lemon flavored ones work well
I'm taking SAN's fish oil with food, once in awhile I get a little fishy aftertaste, but hey each cap is triple strength ;)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Walmart sells enteric coated fish oil right next to the regular which remedy's the problem. Personally I don't notice anything at all from taking regular fish oil and I'm sure after a couple days on them anyone that did would notice the same.