AIs, Estrogen, PCT questions

dhuge67

dhuge67

Awards
  • Established
I'm sort of confused on the difference between an Aromitase Inhibitor and an Estrogen suppressor/blocker and when the two are to be properly used.

Can someone clear this up?

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
By estrogen suppressor/blocker I'm thinking you mean SERM?

An aromatase inhibitor is something that inactivates the aromatase enzyme, preventing it from changing androgens (like testosterone) into estrogens. The effect of this is an increase in testosterone and even an increase in its production while decreasing the amount of estrogen in the body.

The SERM is something that acts at estrogen receptors, but can either produce or inhibit estrogen like effects by doing so. Breast tissue is one such area where estrogen effects are inhibited, and in men this will prevent the growth of breast tissue as a result of estrogen rebound from steroid cycles. They can also act at the pituitary gland in order to stimulate the production of hormones that are essential for testicular function. This is important to counter any atrophy that occurs from steroid use.

So with both you get some HPTA stimulation to increase testosterone and its production. But only the SERM will prevent breast tissue growth.

In regards to using them in other contexts besides after a steroid cycle, the AI can be used to boost testosterone above baseline for a while. The SERMs will be toxic to the liver so it's not the best idea to use when not necessary, but there are some that work well for reducing gyno problems.

That's all I can think of right now.