I'm a little confused on ZMA + before bed protein with milk

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
So I understand I should take my ZMA before bed. However I'm also under the impression that taking it with any milk is not wise b/c it hinders the absorption of the ZMA. I like to have a protein shake with milk before bed b/c I like the casein that milk adds to my ON 100% whey. My theory is that I take the ZMA 45 minutes before bed and then my protein shake with milk like right before I crawl into bed. Or should I switch the timing of these 2 around?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Take the casein 30 mins or right before bed and the ZMA 2 hours before the casein or when you wake up.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
So definitely ZMA before the nighttime protein? I'm guessing it's much more important to have the last bit of protein than it is to get the exact timing of the ZMA before bed down.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I try to take the ZMA before my pro. If not, I take it first thing in the morning.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I will be using ZMA 30 mins. before my last meal, which is cottage cheese and PB.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I will be using ZMA 30 mins. before my last meal, which is cottage cheese and PB.
^^^^ this is what way to do it, take it about 30-45 before your bedtime meal which should consist of slow digesting proteins i.e -- Pbutter/Casein.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
^^^^ this is what way to do it, take it about 30-45 before your bedtime meal which should consist of slow digesting proteins i.e -- Pbutter/Casein.
Cool, that's kind of what I was thinking. I was reading about not taking calcium with ZMA but I wasn't sure what time frame in there. So I figured 45 minutes before any milk products should be safe enough.

Thanks to everyone who posted.