Protein Thread - type + brand + $$

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
First of all I'm trying to cut down my $$ on my next order before my wife throws me out ;)

1. Is it worth spending the extra $$ for Casein at night? Can I just mix my Whey with milk instead? At $10 per lb I can get Whey much cheaper.

2. Do you all just go with ON's 100% Whey? I notice there are 2 that are cheaper. ISS Research makes a Whey Matrix at $62 for 10lb, ABB makes Pure Pro at $46 for 9lb. ON is $68 for 10lb. I also saw another web site selling "Solid Whey" at around $48 for 10lb. But whey you go to solid whey's website it is basically a company that is no longer around. I'm wary to buy their product.

ISS = $6.2
ABB = $5.1
ON = $6.8

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you looked at NP? I am pretty sure that ON is cheaper than $68 for 10 lbs. Another thing to keep in mind is that protein prices are increasing across the board. The demand has finally reached the point where supply cannot keep up. IMO, it is worth the extra money to buy a casein product for at night or to use for homemade MRPs.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Have you looked at NP? I am pretty sure that ON is cheaper than $68 for 10 lbs. Another thing to keep in mind is that protein prices are increasing across the board. The demand has finally reached the point where supply cannot keep up. IMO, it is worth the extra money to buy a casein product for at night or to use for homemade MRPs.
Ya, all the prices I quoted (other than the Solid Whey) were from NP. I looked at a lot of differenent sites for ON that are slightly cheaper, but they don't offer the selection or prices on other products that NP does. I know it used to be cheaper, but it really jumped to $68. I guess they gotta cover their costs too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All The Whey has good prices on their proteins and they have an AM discount code. The only problem with them is that their shipping is nowhere near the speed of NP.

SwolE Mammoth

SwolE Mammoth

Awards
trueprotein.com has great prices and high quality.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
1. I usually mix all my shakes with skim milk in 32oz shaker bottle. I use 2.5 scopps per and it comes out to 85g per shake. The only downside ofcourse is they can be heavy, especially if you have always done water.

The only time i use water only or a water/skim mix is post workout (quick absorbation).

Frankly, doing this and keeping my protien marco split, i never worried about the castien mix. As long as your getting enough, when you need it, getting the blends vs. isolate, your fine.

2. I recently spent 130+ on whey lately, mainly cause i have been getting sick of the flavors of ON and champion nutrition. I bought some 2lb samples from All the whey (sponser here) and so far 2 out of the 3 were good and i might buy 5lbs of them soon.

I have tired many, many types, but always come back to ON or CN. Overall mixing, flavors and cost make them the best out there IMO (not counting other compound mix protiens). The only close runner up has been GNC's; less potent per scoop, cost, membership cost, and their 1st or last wk of the month 2 for 1 deal thing, just didnt make it worth it for me. They taste great, though, but i do hate buying any thing there. They are such a rip.

As im sure you have seen, the prices have gone up quite a bit lately. I would suggest doing what i did, shop on amazon where the sub retailers have not caught onto the cost increase yet. Oh and buy big. :D

SwolE Mammoth

SwolE Mammoth

Awards
I'm sure there's some board sponsors here that have some great prices too.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
^ we just mentioned a few. The problem of late is that the industry prices have gone up dramaticly due to importing costs.

I think i may order a varity test pack from tp.com. How long have they been around/you been ordering from them? mixes good?

SwolE Mammoth

SwolE Mammoth

Awards
^ we just mentioned a few. The problem of late is that the industry prices have gone up dramaticly due to importing costs.

I think i may order a varity test pack from tp.com. How long have they been around/you been ordering from them? mixes good?
I've been ordering from them for the past 3 months. Great customer service. The standard flavors are great. The premium flavors are bomb. chocolate banana...ummmmm

You can build your own protein mixes too.

RB12

RB12

Awards

i have been using TP for a couple years now. there service is fantastic, very responsive and they have great products. if you are looking for just wpc, its ~$5 per pound. i started out only using the BSL flavoring which is absolutely fantastic, but i have started using their new tp premium flavors, too. imo, damn near comperable to bsl. I have not tried the regular tp flavors. i have some samples at home, but have not used the, yet.

i ordered the sample pack you are referencing, it is a great way to try out a bunch of different flavors. Its basically 20 scoops of wpi, 2 of each flavor.

i have ordered both bulk supps and protein and blends. right now i am using 25% egg white, 25% casein, 50% wpc. i am pretty happy with it.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
1. Is it worth spending the extra $$ for Casein at night? Can I just mix my Whey with milk instead? At $10 per lb I can get Whey much cheaper.
Not only is casein expensive but it's a pain to mix. Have you tried cottage cheese? Not the cheapest but it's 100% casein protein and you actually get to eat real food before bed. TP also has casein and milk protein isolate (80% casein, 20% whey) for super cheap. Their service is great, although I'm still not 100% convinced about their quality-control.

2. Do you all just go with ON's 100% Whey? I notice there are 2 that are cheaper. ISS Research makes a Whey Matrix at $62 for 10lb, ABB makes Pure Pro at $46 for 9lb. ON is $68 for 10lb. I also saw another web site selling "Solid Whey" at around $48 for 10lb. But whey you go to solid whey's website it is basically a company that is no longer around. I'm wary to buy their product.
You can get 10lb of ON 100% Gold Whey at BN for $60. I love NP for everything else, but for protein BN usually beats their prices. I go with ON because their stuff is top-notch and tests out at 100%. They're still really cheap, so for me the peace-of-mind is worth an extra $.25 per pound.

Eightpak

Eightpak

Awards
Go to true protein dot come and make your own mix. Your going to save alot of money and yes its worth having fast and slow release proteins especially at night. use code MBC888 for 5% off at TP.

Dalamara

Awards
How are the flavors at TrueProtein.com?

How are the Pineapple, Strawberry, Tropical Blend, and Wild Berry flavors?

Thanks!