ZMA - why do I need it and can I just "make" my own for cheaper? - AnabolicMinds.com

ZMA - why do I need it and can I just "make" my own for cheaper?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

ZMA - why do I need it and can I just "make" my own for cheaper?

I've never tried ZMA before, but I hear a lot of people here hype it up as a before bed supplement. I feel I'm missing that part of my diet/supp as I usually just have protein and a few fish oils before bed. I don't need help sleeping so I don't care about that part of it. I want the strength/recovery portion of it. That being said, why can't I just buy Zinc, Magnesium, and some B6 and just take them in the proper doses? It would probably be cheaper (I already have 2 bottles of 60mg zinc tablets anyway).

Thanks guys

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The main reason people take ZMA is that the specific blend has been tested and has clinical evidence, but supplementing with zinc and magnesium is a good idea anyway.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    I've never tried ZMA before, but I hear a lot of people here hype it up as a before bed supplement. I feel I'm missing that part of my diet/supp as I usually just have protein and a few fish oils before bed. I don't need help sleeping so I don't care about that part of it. I want the strength/recovery portion of it. That being said, why can't I just buy Zinc, Magnesium, and some B6 and just take them in the proper doses? It would probably be cheaper (I already have 2 bottles of 60mg zinc tablets anyway).

Thanks guys
    The blends of ZMA come in different forms, there's Zinc, Zinc Chelate, Zinc Metho-bla-blah, etc.... you get the idea. One of my friends said he does not take ZMA b/c he claims 'it dosen't put on as much weight as Superdrol' uh, which....is true....but its more of a supplement that works in the background.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

Not to shill, but Hypertest has the ZMA complex in it, along with a host of other test/libido boosters including Nettle Root, Trib, and several others. Really good nighttime product IMO...woke up with wood for the better part of the time I was on it.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  5. O.G. Appnut

Reputation Reputation

I've heard good things about HyperTest, but have never used. ZMA is a worthwhile addition, due to it's low cost. Reaper is right.... not a product that you know is obviously working in the short term, but a lot of users report improvements.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    Better Results Through Science
    Success occurs when everything you have is APPLIED.
    Have you heard about N.O. Uptake? ;-)
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Improved sleep makes it a solid buy. Anything else is just a plus.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User

ZMA is a necessity for me, it's been proven to boost your test levels 30%, and most of us are low on zinc anyway, ZMA+Animal Pak is what i use for all my vitamins and minerals. And ya i'd stick with ZMA because it's the forms of the minerals zinc and magnesium aspartate are superior to chelate and the vitamin b6 is just i there to enhance absorption even further.
  8. Registered User

Reputation Reputation

Buy the real ZMA. You won't miss your shot. And don't use calcium with it. It competes for absorbtion.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'm just trying to prioritize my supplments so I don't spend a ton of cash on stuff I don't need. On an "importance scale" I of 1 to 10 where would you rank ZMA anyway? As important as whey or as minute as something like a fat burner for a marathon runner? I will definitely check into ZMA though.
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'm just trying to prioritize my supplments so I don't spend a ton of cash on stuff I don't need. On an "importance scale" I of 1 to 10 where would you rank ZMA anyway? As important as whey or as minute as something like a fat burner for a marathon runner? I will definitely check into ZMA though.
    Up there with way, don't look at it as a test booster, look at it as part of your mineral requirements. You can get it cheap in 180 cap bottles, from optimum nutrition, bulk nutrition etc
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

ZMA is great and you can get it for like $15 for 2 months
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/search?query=zma

Especially on nights when i only get 4-6 hours of sleep, I wake up much more refreshed. ZMA + 8 hours of sleep.. wow. its a indescribeable euphoria... def worth the $$ IMO
  12. Registered User

Reputation Reputation

I've had a great experience with Prolab's version. I had no success with Ultimate Nutrition's. I have no idea why, as they seem to be the same. But if you have to choose, I would opt for Prolab's. Definetly a must if you are on stims, have a hard time sleeping. (like I used to) ZMA will increase as your test desreases when you are training regularly. It will support your test. levels.
  13. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Its not a requirement. No supplement is, thats why they are called "supplements".
  14. Recovering AXoholic

I usually just take 50mg of zinc gluconate before bed.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  15. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    I've had a great experience with Prolab's version. I had no success with Ultimate Nutrition's. I have no idea why, as they seem to be the same. But if you have to choose, I would opt for Prolab's. Definetly a must if you are on stims, have a hard time sleeping. (like I used to) ZMA will increase as your test desreases when you are training regularly. It will support your test. levels.
    if ur looking to get some sleep on stims gaba is the way to go!
  16. Registered User

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by hardestgainer View Post
    if ur looking to get some sleep on stims gaba is the way to go!
    Thanks, but I am off all stims now. Good point on GABA though.
  17. New Member

ZMA as a generic supplement is pretty cheap but you can certainly make your own. ZMA is trademarked (not patented as some would like you to believe) to contain Zinc-monomethione, Mag aspartate and vit B6, if you can buy them seperatly for cheaper then do. BTW its the magnesium that helps with the sleeping aspect of ZMA.

As for it increasing test by 30%, i highly doubt it, certainly not in anyone that has a remotly varied diet!
  18. Recovering AXoholic

Quote Originally Posted by The Graduate View Post
    ZMA as a generic supplement is pretty cheap but you can certainly make your own. ZMA is trademarked (not patented as some would like you to believe) to contain Zinc-monomethione, Mag aspartate and vit B6, if you can buy them seperatly for cheaper then do. BTW its the magnesium that helps with the sleeping aspect of ZMA.

As for it increasing test by 30%, i highly doubt it, certainly not in anyone that has a remotly varied diet!
    Zinc monomethione has crappy oral bioavailability. Stick with the blends using Zinc Arginate.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line

Similar Forum Threads

1. Started TRT why do i need dhea and pregnolone??
    By vidapreta in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
  2. A Gift if you need it, and if not a reaffirmation:
    By Manimalia in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
  3. Why do you need post cycle therapy?????
    By humanhulk1017 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
  4. What is PCT and why do you need it?
    By steolis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 09:13 AM