PWO Shake - What do you see as essential?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Wink PWO Shake - What SUPPLEMENTS do you see as essential?

I'm not sure if this is the correct part or if it should be in the Nutrition section, if so, please move

What I'm wondering, as I've seen trough a couple of previous threads, I'm looking to see what you use. No need to discuss why or what, but just list YOUR mix. (Reason for new thread is that previously there's been too many discussions ongoing before people had listed what they used)

Myself I do proteins 45-60min PRE, water during and carb+proteins POST.

I was looking to add EAA, creatine and some alginine - maybe some Citrulline Malate.

You could also add what you train / believe you'll get out of the mix. Like: Endurance, Strength etc.

But I'm wondering what you guys use, hope we can get alot of mixes and then we can discuss afterwards.

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

BCAAs before and druing, WPI+oats and fruit for post WO.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I mix 2 scoops (instead of full 3) of Universal's Torrent with an extra 35grams of WMS and that adds up to 70gr of carbs. It's been treating me well. Kinda expensive though.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

whey protein
    creatine
    bcaa
    citrulline malate
    beta-alanine
    cissus
    WMS (will be switching to this from maltodextrin+dextrose when i run out)
  5. Registered User
    Answers

I stick with the basic BCAA's before, during, after.

Water + Whey + Dextrose Hasn't let me down yet.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Right now as I'm trying to gain strength and size I take in

a whole wheat bagel, 2 scoops of isolate, and 2 cups of milk pre-workout

6 scoops of Xtend before, during, and after working (just sip it on the way to to the gym, during, and if I dont finish it all Ill just finish it over the course of the day)

Post workout I typically have a whole wheat bagel and 2 scoops isolate, 2 cups of milk, and like to have either a half to a whole banana.

I find this works well and I also love whole wheat bagels so my pre and post workout meals are by far my favorite.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post

6 scoops of Xtend before, during, and after working (just sip it on the way to to the gym, during, and if I dont finish it all Ill just finish it over the course of the day)

Post workout I typically have a whole wheat bagel and 2 scoops isolate, 2 cups of milk, and like to have either a half to a whole banana.

I find this works well and I also love whole wheat bagels so my pre and post workout meals are by far my favorite.
    Seems fun to me
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post

Mine is similar pre/post workout.. minus the bagels.

Pre - oats, wpi and a fruit e.g. strawberries
    Post- oats, wpi and a banana
    .. sometimes I'll add in some yoghurt, but otherwise, they are probably my favourite meals too, probably because I'm pretty ravenous in the mornings though!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

yea definitly, probably also has to do with the easy of the meals too. I also train in the morning and there so easy to get in that its a relief as opposed to the rest lol.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

This was interesting, although I hoped on more replies, but I only see chaos' mix as a real "combo".

So is it not neccessary to try to mix it up with alot of ****?

chaos: Have you noticed any difference going from the "basics" to the stack you're using now?
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    This was interesting, although I hoped on more replies, but I only see chaos' mix as a real "combo".
    It doesn't have to be a real "combo". My PWO is whey, oats and water, and it works for me so I'm not going to make it more complicated or expensive than it needs to be.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

its not necessary to mix a bunch of stuff and many people just keep it simple with protein and carbs.

during PWO your body can best use protein, carbs, amino acids, and creatine. so its smart to take these at this time.

protein should be obvious PWO, so i dont think i need to explain further.

your body can best absorb amino acids and creatine so i take 1 scoop of Xtend (i dont take 2 since i get some BCAA's from my whey), and a half a scoop of Clout.

carbs restore glycogen and help shuttle nutrients to your muscles. a combo of maltodextrin and glucose has long been a popular choice, but now WMS seems to be a better choice due to its higher molecular weight. both will work great tho. also you need 4ml of water to store every gram of carbohydrates as glycogen, so dont forget to drink plenty of water PWO as well.

beta-alanine, citrulline malate, and cissus are all good choices and have plenty of research to back them. CM stimulates phosphocreatine recovery and helps recover faster, BA produces carnosine, and cissus helps strenghten your joints.

as far as results using this stack as compared to using just whey+carbs, i have noticed a bit of a difference. nothing huge to where i would swear by using my method, but results seem to be coming faster than they used to.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Answers

35-40g whey
    20-35g dextrose (adjusted based on cutting, maintenance, or bulk phase)
    20-35g maltodextrin (adjusted based on cutting, maintenance, or bulk phase)
    4g creatine - optional

That's it. I like to keep things simple. Although I am going to add BCAA into my pre, during, and post WO and see if it makes a difference.
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Replenish or Surge
  15. Registered User
    Answers

chaos: yeah, I just use the basics now, but I thought about adding more into it, and also sipping some troughout the work-out to see some differences and changes.

As you can see in the other thread, I'm wondering about what to add to where
  16. Registered User
    Answers

30g Hydro
    30g Milo
    2g Beta Alanine
  17. Gold Member
    Answers

Essential? Protein + carbs. For me, this usually means bread & meat or a whole wheat bagel & whey pre-workout, and whey & whole wheat bread post-workout.

Essential, in shake form? Whey protein + dextrose/maltodextrin.

BCAAs are important, but whey protein is already chock full of BCAAs, and there's no evidence that additional BCAAs (above and beyond what's in 30-40g whey) really do anything. The exception might be leucine, which has some pretty interesting properties, so sometimes I add extra leucine to my shakes (not really an essential, though).
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage View Post
    Essential? Protein + carbs. For me, this usually means bread & meat or a whole wheat bagel & whey pre-workout, and whey & whole wheat bread post-workout.

Essential, in shake form? Whey protein + dextrose/maltodextrin.

BCAAs are important, but whey protein is already chock full of BCAAs, and there's no evidence that additional BCAAs (above and beyond what's in 30-40g whey) really do anything. The exception might be leucine, which has some pretty interesting properties, so sometimes I add extra leucine to my shakes (not really an essential, though).
    Leucine
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.
    Answers

i thought i read somewhere that taking protein before a workout was not good? Was an old post Bobo had mentioned this I believe..
  20. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by propho View Post
    i thought i read somewhere that taking protein before a workout was not good? Was an old post Bobo had mentioned this I believe..
    Hmmm... If Bobo said that then I'm pretty sure you misunderstood what he said. Pre-workout nutrition is probably just as important as post-workout nutrition, and Bobo has said as much. And the most critical part of pre-workout nutrition is aminos in the form of protein. It's better to eat about an hour before the workout as opposed to immediately before, to allow the protein time to digest.
  21. Registered User
    Answers

It's a wide topic, I bet noone will ever agree to everything people are digesting.

Which is why it's fun to see what people are taking in
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by propho View Post
    Imediately before a workout, perhaps. But an hour to a hour and a half before a workout is actually ideal.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

bcaas + whey + skim milk 1hr before

bcaas + whey + dextrose/maltodextrin + glutamine + Vit. C + Vit. E post
  24. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gdbear65 View Post
    bcaas + whey + skim milk 1hr before

bcaas + whey + dextrose/maltodextrin + glutamine + Vit. C + Vit. E post
    Why the glutamine?
  25. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    Why the glutamine?
    To aid recovery and support my immune system. Weight training is hard on the immune system. I know many people say it's a useless supp, but just as many advocate it's usage. It's cheap, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What do you want to see stacked with HAVOC?
    By Maxwell600 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 12:57 AM
  2. I got 3 bottles of X-Factor. What DO YOU GUYS want to see me run?
    By Distilled Water in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM
  3. Do you see as I see.
    By Dr Liftalot in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 04:53 AM
  4. What do you like to see people wear
    By Squeaks4ver in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
  5. Protein Shakes, what do you mix?