Safety in supplements poll

What is your mindset/mentality about unknown possible long-term health reprocussions

• Hell I'd even snort asbestos if it were the most anabolic substance in the world and worked.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I try to be safe, but if something bad were to happen to me I'd still be 100% ok with that

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • I'm am completely natural and don't think the risk is worth it.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Not sure but I take whatever anyway, b/c if something bad does happen I won't be the only one.

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Another topic that really piqued my interest. I don't hold any judgemental opinions on anyone's lifestyle because it is their own life and everyone has the freedom to choose how they live it. With that my topic is potential long-term health reprocussions.

Editors note: My reference to 'natural' in option #3 includes protein,vitamins,creatine, and herbs only. No prosteroids, No AI's, none of that.

Don't look at this post and not vote. It defeats the purpose of it.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I think this i shard to divide and decifer fot the only reason that, yes PH, anabolic steroids, etc. can hurt you but often only when abused or not aware of what to be done(ie post cycle therapy)
Although it does often affect you permanetly PCT and other safety precautions are taken. Also age may play a factor.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice if you type A A S right with out spacing it comes up as anabolic steroids...?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I do realize that steps can be taken to pretty much create NEARLY 99% hazard-free environment, but there's nothing on this Earth that can guarantee that last 1%...anyways I digress, just getting opinions, nothing more.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
How many guys post in the steroid section and HRT section at any given time? how many are vets of various cycles and in other posts ask q's about health problems and try to see what might haved caused it?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
The proper path to taking supplements should always start with research. Regardless of the simplicity of the supplement, it is a no-brainer to look into it. The web is just far too advanced to ignore it... just a few hours could turn you into an expert on the product. You can weigh the sides, if there are any, against what the product will bring you. Disregarding the sides is normally when people hurt themselves...

A more suitable option that I would have voted for would be -
"I research and understand my supplements enough to feel safe in taking them, and I acknowledge the risk in such compounds."

nelix

Awards
  • Established
"completely natural" what does that mean? No protein powder? No skim milk? No chocolate?

Where does one draw the line between natural, cooking and chemistry?

Food is full of anabolics, but who says food is safe? Our planet is a mine field of chemicals and mutations, and no I'm not saying I hate science or I blame it ether!

I'm saying I take whatever seems safe, just like I assume my sweetner is safe, because even if it's not, it may well be safer than real sugar anyway!

Aw man, I sound like a crazy man.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
"I research and understand my supplements enough to feel safe in taking them, and I acknowledge the risk in such compounds."

Agreed and that is why I am here..to learn what's new, what it does, what the risks are and most importantly..who will give me some for free:D

Just kidding on the last part. PubMed is so easy to research that I feel everyone can and should know what they are taking and get some idea if there are any risks. That said, I accept the risks of anything I take unless there is some obvious fault on the part of the manufacturer.

There's also the ancient dictum of "Everything is toxic, only dosage determines the poison."...a little moderation goes a long way.

bigdave2875

Awards
with all the precautions that can be taken, bad things still happen to good/smart people

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Agreed and that is why I am here..to learn what's new, what it does, what the risks are and most importantly..who will give me some for free:D

Just kidding on the last part. PubMed is so easy to research that I feel everyone can and should know what they are taking and get some idea if there are any risks. That said, I accept the risks of anything I take unless there is some obvious fault on the part of the manufacturer.

There's also the ancient dictum of "Everything is toxic, only dosage determines the poison."...a little moderation goes a long way.
I agree with Bio on this.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
"completely natural" what does that mean? No protein powder? No skim milk? No chocolate?

Where does one draw the line between natural, cooking and chemistry?

Food is full of anabolics, but who says food is safe? Our planet is a mine field of chemicals and mutations, and no I'm not saying I hate science or I blame it ether!

I'm saying I take whatever seems safe, just like I assume my sweetner is safe, because even if it's not, it may well be safer than real sugar anyway!

Aw man, I sound like a crazy man.

Nelix, when I mean natural I mean non-synthesized chemicals. I know people will play on that and try to split hairs on it. I know what you mean about anabolics, but last time I checked when I ate a steak it didn't have any 'natural superdrol in it' so that's what my implication was about being natural. My definition of natural was put up at the top so that's kinda what I was implying about.

You know the interesting this is, yes, you can look at PubMed but at the end of the day, while animal studies have SOME correlation to humans in comparison, they are not actual human studies. So this means that there is a certain assumption that comes with with the studies. Fortunately animals are a bit more dispensible than humans (yes I said that PETA and I won't take it back) so that is the basis we have to draw conclusions.

I'm all for the person to make their own decisions and wouldn't even begin to question it. I do not use any type of hormones, anabolics, AI's, nothing, just creatine, proteins, and vitamins only. The reason why I do this is b/c I have too much going for me career wise and my accomplishments so far and since cardiovascular disease, cancer, and prostate issues are high problems with men, I don't want to tempt the odds.

I'll help my friends and other people who have questions about mixing certain compounds and expectation from it, that's no problem, but I most certaintly won't put the chemical compounds they are taking into my own body.

bioman: Even if there is some fault in the manufacturer, what if you've already taken the product ? Its not like if they are wrong there is a way to extract it out of your body.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm saying that I accept responsibility for putting supplement X into my body and understand...given the hit or miss nature of the industry..that there may be a problem with that product that I am unaware of.

It's really no different than going to a restaraunt. You select a restaraunt based on your experiences of it or the word of others that it serves good, clean food. But any restaraunt can give you food poisoning by accident.

The only way to avoid this is to never go out to eat. Not likely to happen since you've likely had thousands of good or at least non-unpleasant experiences with dozens upon dozens of restaraunts.

I've had hundreds of pleasant experiences with supplements and very very few unpleasant ones. I've never had a life threatening experience with one either.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm saying that I accept responsibility for putting supplement X into my body and understand...given the hit or miss nature of the industry..that there may be a problem with that product that I am unaware of.

It's really no different than going to a restaraunt. You select a restaraunt based on your experiences of it or the word of others that it serves good, clean food. But any restaraunt can give you food poisoning by accident.

The only way to avoid this is to never go out to eat. Not likely to happen since you've likely had thousands of good or at least non-unpleasant experiences with dozens upon dozens of restaraunts.

I've had hundreds of pleasant experiences with supplements and very very few unpleasant ones. I've never had a life threatening experience with one either.

I understand what you are talking about and it can be virtually applied in any manner in life. I suppose for me, I would not be able to forgive myself for a self-inflicted issue as opposed to a completely random freak chance. But like you said, your ok with that risk and everyone has a free choice to do what they want. I'm no doctor and don't even remotely claim to be, but I can't imagine a substance like Superdrol or M1T does not have any long-term effects.

There's no proof that it does, but in the same respect, there's no proof that it dosen't, I guess its just one of those 'wait and see' type scenarios.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well, it's not exactly fair to use SD and M1T as your prime example of "supplements" or as a representation of the supplement industry. Neither are legal anymore and I personally would not use them.

99% of my own supplement use are products that stem from natural sources and have long established histories of safe and effective use. Even all these flashy workout supps based on plant sterols etc are really nothing "new" though they may be improved by newer extraction processes.

Things like SD/M1T should really be in their own category away from supplements. The makers of those products knew full well they were pushing novel designer roids through a small and rapidly closing loophole in the law. Only recently has it become en vogue for the industry to try to pass of actual steroids as "supplements" to confuse both the consumer and the FDA.

IMO, this should not be a reflection on the rest of the supplement industry.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Well, it's not exactly fair to use superdrol and M1T as your prime example of "supplements" or as a representation of the supplement industry. Neither are legal anymore and I personally would not use them.

99% of my own supplement use are products that stem from natural sources and have long established histories of safe and effective use. Even all these flashy workout supps based on plant sterols etc are really nothing "new" though they may be improved by newer extraction processes.

Things like SD/M1T should really be in their own category away from supplements. The makers of those products knew full well they were pushing novel designer roids through a small and rapidly closing loophole in the law. Only recently has it become en vogue for the industry to try to pass of actual steroids as "supplements" to confuse both the consumer and the FDA.

IMO, this should not be a reflection on the rest of the supplement industry.

I guess reflecting back I should have been more specific rather than just saying supplements. I suppose if you were to substitute the word supplements for 'PHs,prosteroids, and anti-estrogens' that would be more specifically what I would be targeting in terms of health consequences. My mistake.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Right now as of the moment I'm 100% careful of what I do.. I wouldn't risk jacking up my body before I even get to the age to compete.

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
snorting asbestos would be the worst thing ever. I really want to be a healthy person. If i ever took a ph i would pulse it. I really dont like sides and want to keep my balls and hair entact

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
snorting asbestos would be the worst thing ever. I really want to be a healthy person. If i ever took a ph i would pulse it. I really dont like sides and want to keep my balls and hair entact
Interesting post. Safe is a relative term and as alluded to already nothing is completely safe. We have t oaccept a reasonable degree of risk when taking any supplement. Steroids or phs or whatever you wish to call them come will potential sides. You may be able to minimize them through pulsing but at what expense. Ultimately there are trade-offs and you have to be willing to accept the consequences.

I'm not picking on you personally. But sometimes I see people complaining of sides when the full well knew the risks. They have to accept the consequences or choose to avoid the risk and the product altogether.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
I voted natural, while I do alot of herbals etc.., ster/PH's arent my thing. I will say on the other hand that if you do your research, and get feedback from the people who really know what they are doing and buy the appropriate support supplements, it is probably alot safer to experiment with the Ster/PH than it was maybe 10-15 years ago.