any supplements or advice on a pulled rotator cuff?

biarwood

Awards
Hey all- here's the deal, I pulled my rotator cuff swimming last summer. It took months to heal, and I did rotator cuff exercises 2-3x a week. A few weeks ago I was doing shoulder exercises and pulled it again and its killing me! Any advice for a quicker healing period this time?

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Oratropin-1 or regular ole LR3-IGF-1. I hear Oratropin works wonders for injuries.

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder is very complex and self diagnosis is very difficult. It is a crap shoot even using MRI's.

With all tissue damage. Ice immediately following injury to reduce inflammation. Then go with heat pads to increase blood flow to the area and speed recovery.

Try to stay away from anti-inflam (aspirin, etc) during the healing process as they may slow down recovery (use your best judgement).

No magic formula, just time. Be sure to slowly work back to a full range of motion to ensure you break up any scar tissue, or the chance of reinjury will be greater.

biarwood

Awards
yea I've been using cissus but I'm not sure if i notice any difference. I'm gonna go for some accupuncture. I hope this isnt something I have to deal with for the rest of my life! its so painful

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder is very complex and self diagnosis is very difficult. It is a crap shoot even using MRI's.

With all tissue damage. Ice immediately following injury to reduce inflammation. Then go with heat pads to increase blood flow to the area and speed recovery.

Try to stay away from anti-inflam (aspirin, etc) during the healing process as they may slow down recovery (use your best judgement).

No magic formula, just time. Be sure to slowly work back to a full range of motion to ensure you break up any scar tissue, or the chance of reinjury will be greater.
Good advice here. Go back and do your exercises and evaluate your technique for shoulder exercises. Also as SS said IGF can really help in this department if thats an avenue you don't mind taking.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Start taking 3g of glucosamine with MSM each day. Also hold a broom stick or something like that with both arms and slowly start at your (crotch area) then keep pulling up until you go as far as possible. Keep doing that throughout the week. I had bad shoulder pain and it has worked for 95% of my friends I've told.

smiththrs03

Awards
take some shark cartilage buy it at walgreens

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
osteobolin-c

a staff sarg in my shop had a real bad shoulder injury froma bike accident.

he used to be a walking pill popper. I hooked him up with this bottle and he hasnt had to use any vicodin the last week. ( this was after a month of continual use.

but lots of rest and not reagrevating it is key

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
osteobolin-c

a staff sarg in my shop had a real bad shoulder injury froma bike accident.

he used to be a walking pill popper. I hooked him up with this bottle and he hasnt had to use any vicodin the last week. ( this was after a month of continual use.

but lots of rest and not reagrevating it is key
What he said :)

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
There have been a lot of difference suggestions on various supplements, but I think the one reco that keeps coming up is the most important. Rest it!

Most of these supps need to be used for an extended period of time before they would help you in an regard and would serve more as a future preventative measure.

The reality is none of us know if you have ligament damage, or just soft tissue (muscle). If you had ligament damage, I think you woudl prob KNOW it, unless it was very minor.

The other thing that is common in repeat cases of shoulder injury is a bone spur. This is a layering of calcifying bone that literally builds up over time and eventually starts sawing rubbing against your cuff and muscle tissue. This will typically show up very clearly in a MRI. The only way to address this is to get your shoulder scoped and have the spur ground away (called a decompression).

My good friend who is a competitive bb (and a FREAK of nature) just had a decompression after several years of problems and is a new man.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I had a similar problem which I healed by megadosing Cissus (5GMs ED of 5%) and stacking it with 2GMs ED of Celadrin. They were so effective that I have never stopped and even now, back at heavy powerlifting, I have no shoulder or joint problems.

yourdaddy

yourdaddy

Awards
I had a rotator cuff injury 4 years ago and it still bothers me.. I have been taking those Animal Flex packets for a couple weeks and that seems to really be helping my shoulders, elbows, and knees a lot...

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I had a rotator cuff injury 4 years ago and it still bothers me.. I have been taking those Animal Flex packets for a couple weeks and that seems to really be helping my shoulders, elbows, and knees a lot...

animal flex packs rock!

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Super Cissus RX by USP labs. It helped my Airborne knees

DoWork

Awards
Rotator cuff injuries can be a big setback if not dealt with properly. For the most part Kraftkid is right. However, there are a multitude of special tests that can be used to diagnose the specific muscle that is injured. There are a group of four muscles that make up the cuff: supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, and subscapularis. Each muscle has a different action, therefore helping determine which muscle, or more likely, which tendon is involved. Best advice, if it doesnt get better, is to visit the doc and get a referal for PT to determine the exact muscular involvement. Until then stay off it and go eacy