grrrrr maggots and whey protein

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Is it just my place or do maggots love protein powder?

I keep finding a maggot just outside my protein powders under the lid, this is the 3rd time, I usually have methods to prevent this but I forgot to put an elastic band over the cling wrap. :aargh: :frustrate

human

human

Awards
What? How does maggots get in to a slead container.:confused:

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Use a blender. It's just like oats and more protein.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
The protein is in the kitchen, about once every 2 month there will be about 20-50 maggots in the backyard trying to make it into the house but they never seem to be able to get over the door rail. I dont know where they come from but they cant be killed, People make a list of what they have tried that works rather than what does work, I think I am gonna have to buy some chemicals on ebay or something.

I dont spot maggots anywhere else in my house except for on my protein powder, and there alive and just sit there snug, I dont know if they hatched there or are ready to turn into a fly.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
What? How does maggots get in to a slead container.:confused:
They dont make it in, there always as far as they can go. right on the sealable part of the 10lb doggy bag(if I was to open it there would be a good chance of it falling into the protein, which is why id ont buy the 10lb anymore). Or on the bottom edge inside of the lid but outside of the tub, I would take a photo but I cbf.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Suck it up, it's extra protein.

jk, Never heard of this before. That's pretty nasty.

mad078

Awards
Where do you live that there is a maggot problem? I don't know about anyone else, but if I had a maggot problem around my house, I would move, or find a better place to hide the bodies.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I live in Sydney, maggot problem is nothing, we got redbacks here EVERYWHERE.

LOL extra protein with hepatitis too.

mad078

Awards
Wow, I have no idea what a redback even is, the maggots are enough for me, I won't even use drinking fountains because of germs.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
What's a redback?

edit: nevermind. Nasty spiders. I hate spiders. (hate = scared to death)

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
They have a food source somewhere near your house where they are hatching. Flies lay eggs inside of rotting meat of near another source then the maggots travel to an environment where they can turn into flies. eliminate the food source eliminate the maggots. They grew in my garbage can once when we missed trash day in in less than two weeks they were crawling from the can to get in my house. i put some gasoline in the can and fk'ed them up good, not much just enought to mess with em. They could be in your walls if there is a food source in there (dead rodent or something) usually the garbage tho.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Life Cycle: Female flies lay numbers of eggs in suitable larval food sources such as decomposing food in garbage, animal excrement or other decomposing organic materials. Eggs hatch within a day into small maggots. Within a week, maggots grow and develop through three stages (instars) before they inflate their last larval skin into a puparium (pupa). After 4 to 6 days, adult flies emerge. Development from egg to adult can be completed in about 8 days under optimal conditions, and 12 generations can occur each summer. Adults normally live up to 25 days but may overwinter.

Habitat and Food Source(s): Adult flies have sponging-sucking mouthparts, with which they inject mainly liquid food or food dissolved with regurgitated saliva. Larvae have mouthparts (mandibles) used to tease apart decomposing organic materials. Larvae feed with the ends of the bodies bearing the breathing pores on the surface and their narrow heads imbedded deep in the food source. Just before completing larval development, they leave their food source in search of a dryer place to pupate. This is the time many larval infestations become noticeable. Large numbers of house flies can develop in poultry houses and around barns and feed lots where animal excrement accumulates. House flies developing there can fly to nearby homes and become an nuisance. Around the home, house flies can develop in garbage and piles of fermenting lawn clippings.

Pest Status: Larvae infest soils high in organic matter and injure seeds and seedlings, particularly during cool, wet spring growing conditions; medically harmless.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
:bruce3:

Im declaring biological warfare on my backyard again, last time I wiped out the ants(probly made maggot problem worse) This time its the maggots, too bad every best control person says its a bad idea to try wipe out the redbacks(Cause then they come inside the house).

My 2 choices are
PERMETHRIN (mosquito repellent and insecticide)
ETHYL CHLORIDE (skin numbing/cooling spray, also available via prescription from your doctor lol)

Ebay for the win.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Killing the flies around your house will limit how many flies are laying eggs causing future maggot problems. My suggestions flyswatter and fly tape, for safety reasons. When the maggots in your house hatch they will be very dumb flies, they dont really move much and they are easy kills, this is a good time to make a dent on the population.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Killing the flies around your house will limit how many flies are laying eggs causing future maggot problems. My suggestions flyswatter and fly tape, for safety reasons. When the maggots in your house hatch they will be very dumb flies, they dont really move much and they are easy kills, this is a good time to make a dent on the population.
We got heaps of stuff to kill flies here. Bin-Kill is one of them, as soon as you open it you get a buzz off the fumes, you put it in the garbage bin and it makes it a dutch oven sort of thing so the flies go in there and die, lasts 3 months. Then we got stickers to put on walls and windows which attract flies, the flies land on it try eat the stuff and fly off then die, but it never helped with the maggot situation, I think I am gonna put up a barrier on the ground to keep them out, and try find out where there coming from, cause its not the bin.

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
Where do you live that there is a maggot problem? I don't know about anyone else, but if I had a maggot problem around my house, I would move, or find a better place to hide the bodies.
Oh my God. I just pissed myself I laughed so hard.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
gas-o-line
X2!!!! I burned a bunch of ants with WD-40 and gas 2 years ago. There were alot. As an expieriment put some protein powder like 5 feet away and see if it attracts them. Put it in a container though, that will see if it's coincidence or not.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
damn son, you got me wanting to kill some flies!! and I don't even have any.

anyways, hectic, this is really gross man. If I were you I wouldn't touch protein powder with maggots in it, that just makes me want to hurl even thinking about it. ya got dealt a bad hand this time I guess..try storing your protein in a diff place..your bedroom or something

nelix

Awards
  • Established
They are not maggots, they are weevils (moth lava). If it were flies you would see the ****ers everywhere, maggots eat rotten meat, weevils eat grains (flower, rice, oats, anything small).
Ever see tiny moths around?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
A weak solution of bleach and water in a hand-pump sprayer might kill them. Might not. At least it would be a cheap remedy to try.

Or, back to basics...

:duel:

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dude **** that **** I'd move. There is no way in hell you should let maggots live by your pad I had this problem once and the reason being I skipped trash day jus as you have stated but once I started managing my trash better and cleaning up around the bins more often I never had the problem again. If you can I would use the gas trick then flicker a match right by em and post it on utube for a cheap laugh. And bro that sux for them t be in your powder, so do you keep the powder after you find em in or by it or throw it away? Haha

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
A weak solution of bleach and water in a hand-pump sprayer might kill them. Might not. At least it would be a cheap remedy to try.

Or, back to basics...

:duel:
Not sure why you guys are playing with these things. Get serious and pull out the NAPALM!

You guys are like bears with these huge claws and you're trying to kill this bunny rabbit and can't fihure out how..... SWINGERS best movie of all time

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Ive tried kerosine, it gets too messy, the area they craw over is about 20 feet by 20 feet and it leaves black marks on the walls and concrete.

I just payed $60 for 2lb of ON whey protein while I wait for my order from NP.

My mum just found afew more of these things in an airtight jar full of stail peanuts, no1 knows how they got in or out, but they are covered in cobwebs.

I am keeping the protein in my bedroom from now on.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Put your protein in the fridge dude, this is sick !!!!!! Flies lay eggs, eggs hatch into maggots, maggots turn into flies. nasty **** .

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Dude **** that **** I'd move. There is no way in hell you should let maggots live by your pad I had this problem once and the reason being I skipped trash day jus as you have stated but once I started managing my trash better and cleaning up around the bins more often I never had the problem again. If you can I would use the gas trick then flicker a match right by em and post it on utube for a cheap laugh. And bro that sux for them t be in your powder, so do you keep the powder after you find em in or by it or throw it away? Haha
they cant get inside, but are around the lid, he stated.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Put your protein in the fridge dude, this is sick !!!!!! Flies lay eggs, eggs hatch into maggots, maggots turn into flies. nasty **** .
You cant keep protein in the fridge its too moist.

If it happens again I am buying giant ziplock bags.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
What's a redback?

edit: nevermind. Nasty spiders. I hate spiders. (hate = scared to death)
a fvcking spider in your protein? jesus christ, i'd sh!t myself if i saw that and convert to veganism. maggots are pretty damn bad and i've never heard of it attacking protein powder specifically, but spiders? *shudders*

Reem

Awards
:toofunny:

Speaking about nasty...you know there are certain flies that lay their egg in your skin? And then the egg will turn into a maggot which will eat your skin untill it is ready to get out. Saw this on tv and it's grose. Happens to sheep and cows mostly though...not humans.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
horizons Anabolics 20
Anabolics 18