Melatonin Use in 8 year old boy

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
My brother has ADHD and severe anxiety, and right now is actually only taking an anti-anxiety med. to fall asleep. He's 8 years old.

His Phsyciatrist said she would recommend taking Melatonin every night and removing the anxiety med for the summer, to see if he can adjust to life without it.

My immediate worry is that he becomes dependant on the Melatonin over time.

My second worry is the affect of Melatonin supplementation on testosterone during a period of hormonal instability, as he approaches puberty.

Thirdly, I thought I head read worries of hepatoxiticy in the past with this compound?

Lastly, would you think phenibut or kava would be more appropriate? Maybe stacked with valerian root?

Thanks guys, any feedback is appreciated

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
To be honest, I'd listen to the doctor.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
We'll likely give it a try, I just fear him becoming dependant on the melatonin, mostly.
I know exactly how you feel. Maybe try to get a second/third opinion from other docs locally? Dinoiii would probably be perfect for this question, also Dr. John probably would too --- he usually hangs in the Anti-Aging forum, but his knowledge is pretty vast.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well melatonin is a hormone, and giving it to a child just isn't right...I would get another opinion from a different doctor first if I were you.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well melatonin is a hormone, and giving it to a child just isn't right...I would get another opinion from a different doctor first if I were you.
Glad somebody saw it my way :frustrate

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
We don't even know if melatonin is safe for us, but it is a very rare case, and it has to be treated individually. You definetly should follow the doc's advice, and maybe talk with other doctors to see what they think.

Good luck!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
IMO, it doesn't mean it's a hormone you can't give it to a child. This is way too general buddy.

djremix

djremix

Awards
  • Established
has the doctor even considered radically changing your bro's diet?

Awards
have you considered letting the boy drink chamomile tea?

Works for me, and I'm a nervous mofo with trouble sleeping. :)

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To be honest, I'd listen to the doctor.

I've worked with some some children with ADHD and Autism who took Melatonin. I was a little surprised at first, but it seems to be a fairly common. I guess it beats stronger sleeping pills and is way better than the stresses of not sleeping - for the child and the caregiver. Again, I would listen to the doctor but also get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
From what i've read there may be a good chance it could delay puberty if supplemented prepubescently
I was reading things about this through pubmed and here as well in old posts

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've worked with some some children with ADHD and Autism who took Melatonin. I was a little surprised at first, but it seems to be a fairly common. I guess it beats stronger sleeping pills and is way better than the stresses of not sleeping - for the child and the caregiver. Again, I would listen to the doctor but also get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable.
our whole goal was to get him off meds because they made us uncomfortable. Seems weird to have that be our goal, and then shove melatonin down his throat every night in what would obviously be increasing doses

V00D00

V00D00

Awards
My brother has ADHD and severe anxiety, and right now is actually only taking an anti-anxiety med. to fall asleep. He's 8 years old.

His Phsyciatrist said she would recommend taking Melatonin every night and removing the anxiety med for the summer, to see if he can adjust to life without it.

My immediate worry is that he becomes dependant on the Melatonin over time.

My second worry is the affect of Melatonin supplementation on testosterone during a period of hormonal instability, as he approaches puberty.

Thirdly, I thought I head read worries of hepatoxiticy in the past with this compound?

Lastly, would you think phenibut or kava would be more appropriate? Maybe stacked with valerian root?

Thanks guys, any feedback is appreciated
heh of course no worries about the long term use of amphetamines in order to get your brother and thousands like him to calm down....

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
heh of course no worries about the long term use of amphetamines in order to get your brother and thousands like him to calm down....
Neither he nor I are taking medication for our ADD/ADHD actually :whip:

;)

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
I work in the medical field and I would strongly encourage you whenever in doubt get a second opinion. If you hear the same thing twice you will feel better about it and its no skin off your back. Doctors are just people with varying degrees of experience in different fields. Trust, but verify.

Unfortunately, since we live in such a litigious world, many feel the need to medicate to show they "did something".

I am not saying this is the wrong thing to do and I am encouraged that they are actually trying to present a non prescription option. I am simply saying two heads are better than one.

In terms of M dependence, my personal experience leads me to believe it is not a major concern. Due to my work, I used HEAVILY for several years and developed zero dependency (granted I am not a hormonally exposive child).

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I work in the medical field and I would strongly encourage you whenever in doubt get a second opinion. If you hear the same thing twice you will feel better about it and its no skin off your back. Doctors are just people with varying degrees of experience in different fields. Trust, but verify.

Unfortunately, since we live in such a litigious world, many feel the need to medicate to show they "did something".

I am not saying this is the wrong thing to do and I am encouraged that they are actually trying to present a non prescription option. I am simply saying two heads are better than one.

In terms of M dependence, my personal experience leads me to believe it is not a major concern. Due to my work, I used HEAVILY for several years and developed zero dependency (granted I am not a hormonally exposive child).
thanks for the feedback