Best way to take plain BCAAs...??

aerlyn02

Awards
I ordered the bulk 500 grams of plain BCAAs from Nutraplanet and tried just mixing them in water (which didn't work) and then drinking - practically choked on the stuff but have been downing them (pretty unsuccessfully) the last few days. Any tips on how to take 'em?

Also, I am not sure how much I need to take ... all the tub of BCAAs says is on the front "500 grams / 1/4 tsp = 400 mg". Not sure how many grams or milligrams of BCAAs I actually need so I dunno how many teaspoons to take either really. Is it based on weight? Post please! THANKS!!

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
I take 10-15 grams and sip on it during my workout....mix it with something like crystal light if you cant handle the taste, I think im immune to tasting any bulk powders now it doesnt bother me that much.

illfoo

Awards
If you're having mixing problems, it's probably the L-Leucine, that stuff doesn't like to mix at all.

As mentioned, Crystal Light is probably your best bet, just shake constantly. I also mix around 10-15 grams and sip during a workout, but I imagine I look pretty funny when I'm constantly shaking and shaking.

The consistancy of bulk BCAA's can be pretty annoying, but it's worth it IMO.

aerlyn02

Awards
okay i'll try that thanks! so if 1/4 tsp = 400 mg then 1 tsp = 1.6 grams so I need to take 8-9 teaspoons of BCAAs to get about 10 grams? is this right? seems like alot...

JJC

Awards
  • Established
If you use a shaker, that should take care of the mixing issues. Try shaking for like 30 seconds, then let it settle, then shake more. If you don't have a shaker bottle, then do yourself a favor and get one or a few.

Also, 3 1/8 tsp = 5g BCAA so if you want 10g BCAA, scoop out 6 1/4 tsp.

And maybe next time you get BCAAs, get a whole kilo of the bulk and a kilo of Xtend or Excell. It will cost you around $95, but if you do one scoop of the flavored stuff + 5g of the bulk you will get the good taste and all the BCAAs. Plus you will have a supply for long time.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i mix them with my am protein shake, pre and post w/o drinks. i add it with vitargo and sip during w/o. it mixes with these for me.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
i put about 75 grams in a gallon jug and more almost 2 cups of crystal light.

now it wont mix right away it took about 3 days to totally dissolve but it works for me

aerlyn02

Awards
thanks 4 all the tips guys! I got the plain BCAAs cause I seriously cannot have any sucralose/splenda fake stuff w/o getting really sick. I starting to mix the BCAAs in my water bottle w/ a few splashes of plain unsweetened grapefruit juice and it works very well! The BCAAs are kind of bitter and so is the grapefruit juice so it really tastes like I'm just drinking the juice. Definately gives me energy during WOs

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
thanks 4 all the tips guys! I got the plain BCAAs cause I seriously cannot have any sucralose/splenda fake stuff w/o getting really sick. I starting to mix the BCAAs in my water bottle w/ a few splashes of plain unsweetened grapefruit juice and it works very well! The BCAAs are kind of bitter and so is the grapefruit juice so it really tastes like I'm just drinking the juice. Definately gives me energy during WOs

just remember that grapefruit juice has an effect on the absorption intake of things, like med's, in your body. good for you on the fake sweeteners - they are not worth it!

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
I use a blender to get it to mix, but can't seem to eliminate that godawful taste no matter what I put in.