Poll: Which?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

EAA, BCAA or Leucine. Which do you prefer?

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Addition of glutamine to essential amino acids and carbohydrate does not enhance anabolism in young human males following exercise.

Id have to look more but I got a whole list of studys.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.94%

Quote Originally Posted by dwm230000 View Post
    Primal EAA
    $59.99/861.84 grams = approx. 7 cents per gram NP bulk EAA's$49.99/1000 grams = 5 cents per gram (I dont know if the EAA is 100%

pure but i might say its 97%. so a kilo of Primal EAA (no flavoring fillers) would cost $69.60

69.60/49.99= 40% extra money just for flavoring. Lets say that I insist on buying Primal EAA. The best way to do it is to buy them both.

If I combined a kilo of NP EAA with a tub of Primal EAA I get $49.99+$59.99/2= $55 per 1045.5 grams (theres only 931 grams of EAA in this mixture.
    I edited, added & updated some of his calculations
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.27%
    Achievements Posting Pro

well to put this all to rest
    liver tabs are the only way to go
    they contine all the amino acid/peptieds and evrything in between
    i dose 18/20 a day
    best supp i ever started to take in my life
    weight is up, fullness is up, fat is down, energy/endurance is way up, and my strength is rising atleast 5lbs on all my major lfts evry week and a half or so
    do some research on them, then think twice about wasting your money on bcaa, eaa
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    i dose 18/20 a day
    weight is up, fullness is up, fat is down, energy/endurance is way up, and my strength is rising atleast 5lbs on all my major lfts evry week and a half or so
    do some research on them, then think twice about wasting your money on bcaa, eaa
    ummm i would hardly say your wasting money buying BCAA and EAA
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.27%
    Achievements Posting Pro

liver is superiour because it has all of the amino acid/peptieds
    eea only has a few as dose bcaa they do not contain all of them
    this is what your getting in liver
    Arginine,
    Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine,Lysine
    Histidine, Tryptophan, Methionine, Threonine, Phenylalanine Tyrosine, Cysteine, Serine, Glutamic Acid ,
    Aspartic Acid,Glycine, Alanine,Proline
    remember that all of these are linear and and nonlinear chains

BCAA:
    leucine, isoleucine and valine. thats it

EAA on the other hand are far better and have alot of aa
    but those found in liver also are peptides which are smaller than Amino acids.
    peptides can go directly in the cell much faster than Amino acids

maby not wasting money but a better use of your funds
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Thats cool i have never used them before but i still think BCAA and EAA have a legitimate value.

IMO it depends on what you are going for but nothing comes close to Intrabolic for taking during a workout.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  7. NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.78%

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Thats cool i have never used them before but i still think BCAA and EAA have a legitimate value.

IMO it depends on what you are going for but nothing comes close to Intrabolic for taking during a workout.
    Thank you bolt
  8. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.25%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10;
    ...i still think BCAA and EAA have a legitimate value...
    Agree.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowdersĺ opinion as a whole.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i dose 18/20 a day
    Can you post a link to the product you use, and maybe any other similar products?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.38%

I vote for all three!

As for the Liver tabs I take them as well but for the fact that just about all of the B vitamins needed are included. I believe the Beverly (Ultra 40) and Universal ones both have 3-4g's of protein but I don't recall them covering all the BCAA's. If it does I have a bone to pick with the Bev folks since all of there information recommends a regimen of BCAA's and Liver.

If I was going to choose one it would be the Liver as well since my shakes already have all of the BCAA's covered but I always thought they were somewhat complimentary.

I have another questions, whatever happened to using HMB as well? Doesn't this cover Leucine needs as well? is straight Leucine better than HMB? Neither seem to costly in bulk although HMB tastes nasty unless capped.
  11. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.25%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rcaz01;
    I have another questions, whatever happened to using HMB as well? Doesn't this cover Leucine needs as well? is straight Leucine better than HMB?...
    Adding HM▀ (Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate) to L-Leucine/BCAAs is always a useful option. As an L-Leucine derivative, HM▀, like BCAAs, minimizes training or stress-induced catabolism, improves VO2-Max, and aids in fat metabolism. It also reduces the depletion of creatine phosphate, just like Rhodiola and co.
    By the way, only about 3% - 5% of the consumed L-Leucine is metabolized to HM▀. While this may not be a dramatically significant amount, additional supplementation with HM▀ ensures relatively more L-Leucine is available. L-Leucine is a more versatile compound than HM▀, so HM▀ cannot (and should not) replace L-Leucine, but can dramatically boost the effects of L-Leucine.
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowdersĺ opinion as a whole.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.38%

Thanks for the info!

Would you add in your HM▀ before or after your workout?

Based on your descriprition I can see an argument for both.
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.25%

Quote Originally Posted by rcaz01;
    Thanks for the info!

Would you add in your HM▀ before or after your workout?

Based on your descriprition I can see an argument for both.
    Yes, both!
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

So who makes a good liver supplement that alwaysgaining referred to? Is this a supplement for the liver? Or is it a combination of all of the amino acids?
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.38%

I am not sure which one he was mentioning but the only two I am aware of and that are on Nutra's site are Beverly's and Universal's. My preference is for the Beverly which they call Ultra-40.

Both products are dessicated beef liver not a supplement for the liver. Nutra's site has the profiles for both listed
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rcaz01 View Post
    I am not sure which one he was mentioning but the only two I am aware of and that are on Nutra's site are Beverly's and Universal's. My preference is for the Beverly which they call Ultra-40.

Both products are dessicated beef liver not a supplement for the liver. Nutra's site has the profiles for both listed
    So this is what you're referring to? If so, how many capsules do you take per day, and when is the best time to take them? Do you take any other AA or whey supplements?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.38%

i dose 18/20 a day

From his post it looks like just the liver.

I still drink my shakes and before my workout take BCAA's. When I take the Liver I take the same amount 18-20, which is roughly 1 per every 10lbs of body weight. This is what is recommended per the mfg as well.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.04%

I would do hydro whey isolate or hydro casein but hydro whey costs more than you do it with bcaa and leucine combo with some carbs.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  127 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.25%

Even when taking as many as 40 liver tabs a day (universal), you don't get a large amount of EAA's. We are talking about a total of
    4000 mg Leucine
    2400 mg Isoleucine
    2800 mg Valine
    3800 mg Lysine
    120 mg Histidine
    1100 mg Methionine
    1800 mg Threonine
    2200 mg Phenylalanine

For the sake of comparison, here is the amino profile of the recommended serving of Primaforce EAA's:
    L-Leucine 4860 mg †
    L-Valine 2160 mg †
    L-Lysine HCL 2160 mg †
    L-Phenylalanine 1836 mg †
    L-Threonine 1296 mg †
    L-Isoleucine 864 mg †
    L-Histidine 702 mg †
    L-Methionine 486 mg †

Liver tabs also have many other amino's as well as Heme iron, B-12, minerals, etc.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.38%

I agree I think the Liver can still be enhanced with some other supplements. EAA and BCAA's...

I believe it covers most of the B vitamins, folic acid, inositol, a lot of good stuff. When you take you got to make sure an up your fiber intake though, or at least I find I need to.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.04%

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Adding HM▀ (Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate) to L-Leucine/BCAAs is always a useful option. As an L-Leucine derivative, HM▀, like BCAAs, minimizes training or stress-induced catabolism, improves VO2-Max, and aids in fat metabolism. It also reduces the depletion of creatine phosphate, just like Rhodiola and co.
    By the way, only about 3% - 5% of the consumed L-Leucine is metabolized to HM▀. While this may not be a dramatically significant amount, additional supplementation with HM▀ ensures relatively more L-Leucine is available. L-Leucine is a more versatile compound than HM▀, so HM▀ cannot (and should not) replace L-Leucine, but can dramatically boost the effects of L-Leucine.
    Here are the supplements that I've taken in the past but don't feel they were worth my investment of time or money or talkin about. I not only took these supplements on a regular basis and for an extended period, but I also supported them with my very best effort in the gym and at the dinner table. So, I truly feel comfortable that I've given them a fair evaluation. I'm sure there may be a few others not included on the list that are no longer being sold.

Certain amino acids taken separately like OKG, Arginine, etc.
    Liquid Amino Acids - yuk!
    Chromium Picolinate (taken alone)
    Cortisol Blockers
    Creatine mixed in juice - now there is Creatine HSC.
    HMB - what a waste.
    L-Carnatine
    Pyruvate
    ZMA

HMB (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate) was launched on to the sports supplement market back in 1996 by a rather savvy entrepreneur. It was a well-marketed product, surrounded by a lot of hype and very little science. It is still one of the most advertised products in the sports supplement industry. Yet there is still only one research paper (published at the time of its launch) that demonstrates any muscle building effect from HMB use ż and that study used untrained individuals [1].

There have been a number of reports presented in abstract form at various sports science conferences around the world and some have showed beneficial effects [2-6]. Yet none of these studies have been published in full in a peer-reviewed journal. Why? I don't know. This is particularly odd as evidence of any nutritional supplement that can enhance body composition and athletic performance is such a hot topic. In May 2000, one published study involving experienced bodybuilders clearly demonstrated that HMB exerted no muscle building effect, even at double the prescribed dose [7].

Recently, another research study involving experienced bodybuilders using HMB was published. This study examined HMB's muscle building effects during eight weeks of resistance training [8]. The results obtained were rather strange. The methodology used was very unusual and the way in which the data was interpreted by the researchers was very strange to say the least!

The researchů.

The study involved 37 male weight trainers divided into three groups. Group one was given 3-grams of HMB. Group two was given 6-grams and group three 0-grams (a sugar placebo) of HMB per day. Three grams of HMB per day is the prescribed dosage that will, supposedly, reduce muscle damage significantly and increase strength and lean mass. Body composition (lean and fat mass) was assessed, as well as strength (by 1-rep max), peak isokinetic torque in leg muscles and plasma creatine phosphokinase (PK) activity; this provides an indication of muscle damage.

The resultsů.

After eight weeks of weight training, the data showed no differences between HMB or the placebo in peak muscle torque, muscle strength and body fat. Apart from the first weight training session, the data on PK levels showed no differences between the groups either. Remember, a reduction in muscle damage is one of the big claims made by the marketers of HMB. However, HMB failed to produce any significant reduction in PK levels, indicating that HMB supplementation does not reduce the muscle damage created by resistance training. This result was confirmed by a previous study [7].

A reduction in muscle damage is one of the big claims made by the marketers of HMB. However, the research on experienced bodybuilders show that HMB does not reduce muscle damage.

The data on changes in lean mass (muscle) obtained in the present study was not impressive either. In fact, the phase highly speculative comes to mind when assessing the results.

In this study, the group taking 3-grams of HMB per day gained just under 4-pounds (1.9-kgs) of lean mass after 7-weeks of training. The group taking the placebo gained 2.2 pounds (1-kg), however, the group taking 6-grams of HMB per day did not produce any gain in muscle mass!

Now, I aint the smartest guy walking around, but common logic dictates that if 3-grams of HMB per day increases muscle mass by around 4-pounds, then taking 6-grams (double the recommended dose) should produce at least the same gains, if not, more. However, in this study the group taking 6-grams of HMB a day produced zero gains! A result worse than the group taking a sugar-based placebo!

The real eye-opener was the fact that the researchers (authors) of this study when on to suggest that HMB supplementation is effective at increasing muscle mass. I cannot see how results could possibly be interpreted in this way. "A very mixed result" would be a more realistic interpretation. However, read on because now the plot really thickens.

This is the second study to demonstrate that taking 6-grams of HMB a day (double the prescribed dose) produces zero gains in muscle!

When body composition assessment is the primary focus of a research study, the most accurate methods are almost always used. Underwater weighing and DEXA (duel energy x-ray absorptiometer) are the most reliable and credible methods of assessing changes in body fat and muscle mass. The researchers of this study chose to use only the skin fold caliper technique. Now, using skin fold calipers (pinching and measuring the skin fold) to guestimate body fat and muscle mass is okay for the local gym or fitness center. However, it is commonly known that even if the technician is highly skilled, there is still an enormous amount of room for error with this technique.

In this day and age, when highly accurate body composition technology is readily avalible, the skin fold technique is a stone-age choice. As the sole method for body composition assessment in university research, it is a pitiful choice. Especially when you consider that this study was produced by one of the largest, best equipped university sports science facilities in the world.

The clear science on HMB

Let me be very clear on the research behind HMB for bodybuilding. To date there is only one paper that has been published that demonstrates any muscle building effect. This is the same paper used to initially launch HMB more than five years ago, and this research involved untrained subjects. Two studies that used trained lifters showed HMB produced zero benefits, at double the recommended dose. The most recent research has produced results that are best, unconvincing, and after carefull assessment can only be described as highly questionable.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with any company that can manufacture a quality supplement that works. The entire industry gains credibility when this happens.

However, the fact is that HMB continues to be marketed to athletes as a supplement that enhances recovery, strength and muscle growth. This is a complete sham. I do have a problem with marketers hyping a supplement as a research-proven muscle builder while the real scientific evidence shows the complete opposite. The next time you see an advertisement promoting HMB as a research-proven supplement that builds muscle, be very skeptical. Not only of the product, but also supplement company that markets it.

References

1.Nissen, S., R. Sharp, M. Ray, et al. Effects of leucine metabolite B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate on muscle metabolism during resistance-exercise training. J. Appl. Physiol. 81: 2095-2104, 1996.

2.Abumrad, N., B. Phillips, and W. Cheng.B -hydroxy B-methylbutyrate increases fatty acid oxidation by muscle cells (Abstract). FASEB J. 11:1997.

3.Nissen, S., L. Panton, J. Fuller, Jr., D. Rice, and R. Sharp. Effects of feeding B- hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) on body composition and strength of women (Abstract). FASEB J. 11:1997.

4.Nissen, S., L. Panton, R. Wilhelm, and J. C. Fuller, Jr. Effects of B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation on strength and body composition of trained and untrained males undergoing intense resistance training (Abstract). FASEB J. 10: A287, 1996.

5.Ostaszewksi, P., S. Kostiuk, B. Balasinska, I. Papet, F. Glomot, and S. Nissen. The effects of 3-hydroxy 3-methyl butyrate (HMB) on muscle protein synthesis and protein breakdown in chick and rat muscle (Abstract). J. Anim. Sci. 74: 138, 1996.

6.Vuckovich, M. D., N. D. Stubbs, R. M. Bohlken, M. F. Desch, J. C. Fuller, Jr., and J. A. Rathmacher. The effects of dietary B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) on strength gains and body composition changes in older adults (Abstract). FASEB J. 12(5): A652, 1998.

7. Kreider RB; Ferreira M; Wilson M; Almada AL. Effects of calcium B-Hydroxy-B-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation during resistance-training on markers of catabolism, body composition and strength. Int.J.Sports Med. 20:503-509; Dec 1999.

8. Gallagher PM; Carrithers JA; Godard MP; Schulze KE; Trappe SW. Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate ingestion, Part I: effects on strength and fat free mass. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 32(12):2109-15, 2000.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.88%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Here are the supplements that I've taken in the past but don't feel they were worth my investment of time or money or talkin about. I not only took these supplements on a regular basis and for an extended period, but I also supported them with my very best effort in the gym and at the dinner table. So, I truly feel comfortable that I've given them a fair evaluation. I'm sure there may be a few others not included on the list that are no longer being sold.

Certain amino acids taken separately like OKG, Arginine, etc.
    Liquid Amino Acids - yuk!
    Chromium Picolinate (taken alone)
    Cortisol Blockers
    Creatine mixed in juice - now there is Creatine HSC.
    HMB - what a waste.
    L-Carnatine
    Pyruvate
    ZMA

HMB (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate) was launched on to the sports supplement market back in 1996 by a rather savvy entrepreneur. It was a well-marketed product, surrounded by a lot of hype and very little science. It is still one of the most advertised products in the sports supplement industry. Yet there is still only one research paper (published at the time of its launch) that demonstrates any muscle building effect from HMB use ż and that study used untrained individuals [1].

There have been a number of reports presented in abstract form at various sports science conferences around the world and some have showed beneficial effects [2-6]. Yet none of these studies have been published in full in a peer-reviewed journal. Why? I don't know. This is particularly odd as evidence of any nutritional supplement that can enhance body composition and athletic performance is such a hot topic. In May 2000, one published study involving experienced bodybuilders clearly demonstrated that HMB exerted no muscle building effect, even at double the prescribed dose [7].

Recently, another research study involving experienced bodybuilders using HMB was published. This study examined HMB's muscle building effects during eight weeks of resistance training [8]. The results obtained were rather strange. The methodology used was very unusual and the way in which the data was interpreted by the researchers was very strange to say the least!

The researchů.

The study involved 37 male weight trainers divided into three groups. Group one was given 3-grams of HMB. Group two was given 6-grams and group three 0-grams (a sugar placebo) of HMB per day. Three grams of HMB per day is the prescribed dosage that will, supposedly, reduce muscle damage significantly and increase strength and lean mass. Body composition (lean and fat mass) was assessed, as well as strength (by 1-rep max), peak isokinetic torque in leg muscles and plasma creatine phosphokinase (PK) activity; this provides an indication of muscle damage.

The resultsů.

After eight weeks of weight training, the data showed no differences between HMB or the placebo in peak muscle torque, muscle strength and body fat. Apart from the first weight training session, the data on PK levels showed no differences between the groups either. Remember, a reduction in muscle damage is one of the big claims made by the marketers of HMB. However, HMB failed to produce any significant reduction in PK levels, indicating that HMB supplementation does not reduce the muscle damage created by resistance training. This result was confirmed by a previous study [7].

A reduction in muscle damage is one of the big claims made by the marketers of HMB. However, the research on experienced bodybuilders show that HMB does not reduce muscle damage.

The data on changes in lean mass (muscle) obtained in the present study was not impressive either. In fact, the phase highly speculative comes to mind when assessing the results.

In this study, the group taking 3-grams of HMB per day gained just under 4-pounds (1.9-kgs) of lean mass after 7-weeks of training. The group taking the placebo gained 2.2 pounds (1-kg), however, the group taking 6-grams of HMB per day did not produce any gain in muscle mass!

Now, I aint the smartest guy walking around, but common logic dictates that if 3-grams of HMB per day increases muscle mass by around 4-pounds, then taking 6-grams (double the recommended dose) should produce at least the same gains, if not, more. However, in this study the group taking 6-grams of HMB a day produced zero gains! A result worse than the group taking a sugar-based placebo!

The real eye-opener was the fact that the researchers (authors) of this study when on to suggest that HMB supplementation is effective at increasing muscle mass. I cannot see how results could possibly be interpreted in this way. "A very mixed result" would be a more realistic interpretation. However, read on because now the plot really thickens.

This is the second study to demonstrate that taking 6-grams of HMB a day (double the prescribed dose) produces zero gains in muscle!

When body composition assessment is the primary focus of a research study, the most accurate methods are almost always used. Underwater weighing and DEXA (duel energy x-ray absorptiometer) are the most reliable and credible methods of assessing changes in body fat and muscle mass. The researchers of this study chose to use only the skin fold caliper technique. Now, using skin fold calipers (pinching and measuring the skin fold) to guestimate body fat and muscle mass is okay for the local gym or fitness center. However, it is commonly known that even if the technician is highly skilled, there is still an enormous amount of room for error with this technique.

In this day and age, when highly accurate body composition technology is readily avalible, the skin fold technique is a stone-age choice. As the sole method for body composition assessment in university research, it is a pitiful choice. Especially when you consider that this study was produced by one of the largest, best equipped university sports science facilities in the world.

The clear science on HMB

Let me be very clear on the research behind HMB for bodybuilding. To date there is only one paper that has been published that demonstrates any muscle building effect. This is the same paper used to initially launch HMB more than five years ago, and this research involved untrained subjects. Two studies that used trained lifters showed HMB produced zero benefits, at double the recommended dose. The most recent research has produced results that are best, unconvincing, and after carefull assessment can only be described as highly questionable.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with any company that can manufacture a quality supplement that works. The entire industry gains credibility when this happens.

However, the fact is that HMB continues to be marketed to athletes as a supplement that enhances recovery, strength and muscle growth. This is a complete sham. I do have a problem with marketers hyping a supplement as a research-proven muscle builder while the real scientific evidence shows the complete opposite. The next time you see an advertisement promoting HMB as a research-proven supplement that builds muscle, be very skeptical. Not only of the product, but also supplement company that markets it.

References

1.Nissen, S., R. Sharp, M. Ray, et al. Effects of leucine metabolite B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate on muscle metabolism during resistance-exercise training. J. Appl. Physiol. 81: 2095-2104, 1996.

2.Abumrad, N., B. Phillips, and W. Cheng.B -hydroxy B-methylbutyrate increases fatty acid oxidation by muscle cells (Abstract). FASEB J. 11:1997.

3.Nissen, S., L. Panton, J. Fuller, Jr., D. Rice, and R. Sharp. Effects of feeding B- hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) on body composition and strength of women (Abstract). FASEB J. 11:1997.

4.Nissen, S., L. Panton, R. Wilhelm, and J. C. Fuller, Jr. Effects of B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation on strength and body composition of trained and untrained males undergoing intense resistance training (Abstract). FASEB J. 10: A287, 1996.

5.Ostaszewksi, P., S. Kostiuk, B. Balasinska, I. Papet, F. Glomot, and S. Nissen. The effects of 3-hydroxy 3-methyl butyrate (HMB) on muscle protein synthesis and protein breakdown in chick and rat muscle (Abstract). J. Anim. Sci. 74: 138, 1996.

6.Vuckovich, M. D., N. D. Stubbs, R. M. Bohlken, M. F. Desch, J. C. Fuller, Jr., and J. A. Rathmacher. The effects of dietary B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate (HMB) on strength gains and body composition changes in older adults (Abstract). FASEB J. 12(5): A652, 1998.

7. Kreider RB; Ferreira M; Wilson M; Almada AL. Effects of calcium B-Hydroxy-B-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation during resistance-training on markers of catabolism, body composition and strength. Int.J.Sports Med. 20:503-509; Dec 1999.

8. Gallagher PM; Carrithers JA; Godard MP; Schulze KE; Trappe SW. Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate ingestion, Part I: effects on strength and fat free mass. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 32(12):2109-15, 2000.

Bomb, what would you say are your top 5 supplements that are worth the coin and useful to your body? (outside of fish oil, whey, multi's, creatine)

thanks man
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    Ok there are already 4 things wrong with this study that was presented to me (I'm going off of what was copy and pasted b/c the link does not work):
    So there you go.
    I know this is an old thread, but, just as an FYI to everyone. Before you criticize a study on things like sample size and other details, make sure you're actually reading the entire paper, not just the abstract, which is essentially a 200-300 word summary of what is likely a 10 page paper
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.04%

Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    Bomb, what would you say are your top 5 supplements that are worth the coin and useful to your body? (outside of fish oil, whey, multi's, creatine)

thanks man

1 Antioxidants
    2 digestion products/detox
    3 fiber
    4 probiotics
    5 nutriferon boosters herbal not synthetic shots

oh and of course good diet.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i like to mega dose ibuprofen pre and post w/o. seems to be better than steroids.

ive liked xtend. i think everyone is right in that it surely helps to preserve muscle mass during a cut and is definitely useful when in a caloric deficit. although i read more and more on leucine and am nearly convinced that it is far more important than any other amino acid. though something i would wonder is how useful it would be when taken alone. i would think it would still yield all the anabolic effects its claimed to have as long as you are taking in proper amounts of protein and keeping your body flooded with aminos from whole food.

my vote goes to bcaa tho
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

Quote Originally Posted by rolandajoint View Post
    i like to mega dose ibuprofen pre and post w/o. seems to be better than steroids.

ive liked xtend. i think everyone is right in that it surely helps to preserve muscle mass during a cut and is definitely useful when in a caloric deficit. although i read more and more on leucine and am nearly convinced that it is far more important than any other amino acid. though something i would wonder is how useful it would be when taken alone. i would think it would still yield all the anabolic effects its claimed to have as long as you are taking in proper amounts of protein and keeping your body flooded with aminos from whole food.

my vote goes to bcaa tho
    ibuprofen has been shown to decrease protein synthesis, from what i've heard significantally.... but thats just what i've read before.
    Have you gained size while doing this or lost bodyfat while maintaining size? ... just curious to see if theres any truth behind the protein synthesis subject and whether or not its a significant change
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BifWebster View Post
    ibuprofen has been shown to decrease protein synthesis, from what i've heard significantally.... but thats just what i've read before.
    Have you gained size while doing this or lost bodyfat while maintaining size? ... just curious to see if theres any truth behind the protein synthesis subject and whether or not its a significant change
    haha it was a joke. i should have made that clear. but yeah ive read about the study that says that. i think its the baylor university one. i believe i read about it in the x-factor/AA article in MD.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.8%

Started bulk Leucine about a week ago and I've been taking about 10 grams per day (5g before fasted cardio and 5g post workout.) I'm starting to think it's messing with my libido and sleep. A few days after I started taking it, I couldn't get to sleep until 2-3am for 3-4 nights in a row. And in the past few days, my libido has dropped to nearly zero.

None of this happened to me on BCAA, but I guess I wasn't taking as much Hope I don't have to completely discontinue it, I have a whole kilo left.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

I also like the Uni-liver pills. 20 a day @ 5 pills over 4 meals. It's just a solid way to make sure you always have some steady source of Vit A, B and the EEAs. I love them.

Serving Size2Tablets(60grain)
    Servings Per Container125
    Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 14
    Protein 3.2g 6%*
    Thiamin 80mcg 6%
    Riboflavin 800mcg 48%
    Niacin 4mg 20%
    Vitamin B6 160mcg 8%
    Folic Acid 104mcg 26%
    Vitamin B12 48mcg 800%
    Biotin 20mcg 6%
    Para-Aminobenzoic Acid 52mcg **
    Choline 160mg **
    Inositol 28mg **

Typical Amino Acid Profile (Per 100g Of Liver)

Arginine 2000mg
    Leucine 5800mg
    Isoleucine 2800mg
    Valine 4500mg
    Lysine 3600mg
    Histidine 1800mg
    Tryptophan 800mg
    Methionine 2100mg
    Threonine 3200mg
    Phenylalanine 2900mg
    Tyrosine 1700mg
    Cysteine 1500mg
    Serine 2300mg
    Glutamic Acid 5100mg
    Aspartic Acid 2100mg
    Glycine 3600mg
    Alanine 6100mg
    Proline 110mg

I also use 2 scoops xtend with 2 scoops bulk bcaa's. But I only take them pre/post wo, 3x a week.

I haven't noticed a difference with libido or sleep. But I guess I don't take them near bedtime. Personally I think I've leaned out and I'm also making gains each week.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.59%

People, there is very little evidence that the central fatigue theory is correct. BCAA will most likley have little if any impact on serotonin levels.

If there is proof of that BCAA has an impact on dopamine levels, I would like to see it.
  31. UniversalUSA.com
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    I also like the Uni-liver pills. 20 a day @ 5 pills over 4 meals. It's just a solid way to make sure you always have some steady source of Vit A, B and the EEAs. I love them.

Serving Size2Tablets(60grain)
    Servings Per Container125
    Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 14
    Protein 3.2g 6%*
    Thiamin 80mcg 6%
    Riboflavin 800mcg 48%
    Niacin 4mg 20%
    Vitamin B6 160mcg 8%
    Folic Acid 104mcg 26%
    Vitamin B12 48mcg 800%
    Biotin 20mcg 6%
    Para-Aminobenzoic Acid 52mcg **
    Choline 160mg **
    Inositol 28mg **

Typical Amino Acid Profile (Per 100g Of Liver)

Arginine 2000mg
    Leucine 5800mg
    Isoleucine 2800mg
    Valine 4500mg
    Lysine 3600mg
    Histidine 1800mg
    Tryptophan 800mg
    Methionine 2100mg
    Threonine 3200mg
    Phenylalanine 2900mg
    Tyrosine 1700mg
    Cysteine 1500mg
    Serine 2300mg
    Glutamic Acid 5100mg
    Aspartic Acid 2100mg
    Glycine 3600mg
    Alanine 6100mg
    Proline 110mg
    Another fan here.
  32. UniversalUSA.com
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.9%

Quote Originally Posted by LimitTester View Post
    Even when taking as many as 40 liver tabs a day (universal), you don't get a large amount of EAA's. We are talking about a total of
    4000 mg Leucine
    2400 mg Isoleucine
    2800 mg Valine
    3800 mg Lysine
    120 mg Histidine
    1100 mg Methionine
    1800 mg Threonine
    2200 mg Phenylalanine

For the sake of comparison, here is the amino profile of the recommended serving of Primaforce EAA's:
    L-Leucine 4860 mg †
    L-Valine 2160 mg †
    L-Lysine HCL 2160 mg †
    L-Phenylalanine 1836 mg †
    L-Threonine 1296 mg †
    L-Isoleucine 864 mg †
    L-Histidine 702 mg †
    L-Methionine 486 mg †

Liver tabs also have many other amino's as well as Heme iron, B-12, minerals, etc.
    Not just that, but the aminos are intact. It's hard to compare intact proteins from Uni-Liver with free form EAAs. They both have a place and a specific application IMHO.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.5%

Additional leucine w/ a good delivery system like KIC because it's the most important. The rest can come from whey protein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timme View Post
    Which do you prefer and why?
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.36%

Bcaa!.better Choice!
  35. supreme being
    Stats
    5'8"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.71%

i take 6 scoops of bcaa's 1/2pre,1/2 during wo , i also mix 2 scoops extend bcaa's/isopure[60g]/creatine [10g]/120g of carbs [wms]/glutamine[10g]post wo.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Workout partner or solo? What do you prefer?
    By BigShadow in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
  2. Which do you prefer?
    By W13NY in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 06:02 PM
  4. which do you prefer
    By Kaison05 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 7