Controlled trials of inositol in psychiatry
    by
    Levine J
    Ministry of Health Mental Health Center,
    Faculty of Health Sciences,
    Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheva, Israel
    Eur Neuropsychopharmacol, 1997 May, 7:2, 147-55

ABSTRACT

Inositol is a simple polyol precursor in a second messenger system important in the brain. Cerebrospinal fluid inositol has been reported as decreased in depression. A double-blind controlled trial of 12 g daily of inositol in 28 depressed patients for four weeks was performed. Significant overall benefit for inositol compared to placebo was found at week 4 on the Hamilton Depression Scale. No changes were noted in hematology, kidney or liver function. Since many antidepressants are effective in panic disorder, twenty-one patients with panic disorder with or without agoraphobia completed a double-blind, placebo-controlled, four week, random-assignment crossover treatment trial of inositol 12 g per day. Frequency and severity of panic attacks and severity of agoraphobia declined significantly with inositol compared to placebo. Side-effects were minimal. Since serotonin re-uptake inhibitors benefit obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and inositol is reported to reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors, thirteen patients with OCD completed a double-blind controlled crossover trial of 18 g inositol or placebo for six weeks each. Inositol significantly reduced scores of OCD symptoms compared with placebo. A controlled double-blind crossover trial of 12 g daily of inositol for a month in twelve anergic schizophrenic patients, did not show any beneficial effects. A double-blind controlled crossover trial of 6 g of inositol daily vs. glucose for one month each was carried out in eleven Alzheimer patients, with on clearly significant therapeutic effects. Antidepressant drugs have been reported to improve attention deficit disorder (ADDH) with hyperactivity symptomatology. We studied oral inositol in children with ADDH in a double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled manner. Eleven children, mean age 8.9 +/- 3.6 years were enrolled in an eight week trial of inositol or placebo at a dose of 200 mg/kg body weight. Results show a trend for aggravation of the syndrome with myo-inositol as compared to placebo. Recent studies suggest that serotonin re-uptake inhibitors are helpful in at least some symptoms of autism. However a controlled double-blind crossover trial of inositol 200 mg/kg per day showed no benefit in nine children with autism. Cholinergic agonists have been reported to ameliorate electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)-induced memory impairment. Inositol metabolism is involved in the second messenger system for several muscarinic cholinergic receptors. Inositol 6 g daily was given in a crossover-double-blind manner for five days before the fifth or sixth ECT to a series of twelve patients, without effect. These results suggest that inositol has therapeutic effects in the spectrum of illness responsive to serotonin selective re-uptake inhibitors, including depression, panic and OCD, and is not beneficial in schizophrenia, Alzheimer's ADDH, autism or ECT-induced cognitive impairment.

2. New Member

Interesting. Just a side note, many may be familiar with the fact that flush-free niacin contains inositol hexanicotinate (niacin ester).

Immediately this came to mind as potentially usefull when I saw the article. However, the inositol hexanicotinate molecule is only maybe 10-15% (rough estimate) inositiol. So only about 50mg of the polyol inositol (or less, if there's lowered distribution of inositol when bound to nicotinic acid) could be derived from use of flush-free niacin.

On the other hand, 100 caps of inositol (650mg cap) is around $10. To get that 12g, you'd need 18 caps/day. However, with bulk powder, you could get the proper dosage at a mere ~$0.35 per day.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've used the bulk powder for my wife's anxiety. Worked pretty well for her and for me.

Nothing too profound, but a very subtle calming of the nerves. The initial side effects of inositol are lots of gas and cramping but it goes away after several days.

I have not tried it for depression though.
    •   

4. O.G. Appnut

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I've used the bulk powder for my wife's anxiety. Worked pretty well for her and for me.

Nothing too profound, but a very subtle calming of the nerves. The initial side effects of inositol are lots of gas and cramping but it goes away after several days.

Bio, what kind of dosing do you use w/ the bulk?
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    Better Results Through Science
    Success occurs when everything you have is APPLIED.
    Have you heard about N.O. Uptake? ;-)
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It was about 10-15 grams...basically a heaping tablespoon.

It helps if you start off with smaller doses and work your way up..gives your intestines a little time to adjust.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Really? Got a bunch in the warehouse- might mess with it some...
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  7. O.G. Appnut

Reputation Reputation

and it makes a great addition to non-stim weight loss products..............
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    Better Results Through Science
    Success occurs when everything you have is APPLIED.
    Have you heard about N.O. Uptake? ;-)
  8. New Member

It was about 10-15 grams...basically a heaping tablespoon.

It helps if you start off with smaller doses and work your way up..gives your intestines a little time to adjust.
    I tried 500mg a couple of times about 15 yrs ago, My intestines
    were torn up
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I think some people may have a sensitivity to it. My wife and I can handle it fine, but I recommended it to a friend and it tore him up badly and he never could get used to it.
  10. New Member

I was very interested in the benefits of inositol , I just hate when my intestines hurt.
    I've read that if you eat beans for 4 weeks you will not have gas after that, but I eat beans once and never want to feel like that again, so I guess I will never be able to get over the sensitivity issue.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.

Inositol was touted by Adele Davis in the 70's as a brain stabilizer and also believe it, in combination with Lecithin.
  12. Advanced Member

how long did the stomach pain last? i wonder if drinking lots of water and staying away from gases foods would make a diff

Similar Forum Threads

1. Who is the biggest waste of talent in sports history ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 07:42 AM
  3. 5 g of 4ad/ 5 g of oht in t-gel
    By flexster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 12:52 PM
  4. Avaiability of gear in other countries....
    By T-Bar in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 11:25 PM
  5. Shelf life of hormones in T-gel...
    By BigVrunga in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 11:26 PM