cortisol and ectomorphs

pontaro

Awards
hey there everyone ;)

new to these threads, i started bodybuilding about 4 months ago, im eating protein and eating regularly, im an ectomorph too, i've noticed i've gotten a LITTLE bit more muscle mass but i get discouraged seeing guys at the gym regularly and i actually see them get huge whilst it seems i stay the same.

i've done a bit of research on ectomorphs, adn i know have to eat more and all those hints, eat smaller meals, but i also read that ectomorphic people overproduce the cortisol stress hormone,

can anyone recommend any cortisol lowering supplements that really work? i saw one on the internet called cortislim and cortiloss so far, has anyone had any success with them?

i don't expect taking them to gain muscle as easy as a mesomorph, but i just want to know if it helps, and even if it would help slightly.

pontaro

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've never heard of ectomorphs producing excessive cortisol, and I most definitely am NOT an ectomorph myself, but you might want to look into Anabolic Xtreme's Retain 2.0 if you'd like to try something to control cortisol.

pontaro

Awards
thanks a lot rpen22, that supplement looks quite good!

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm an ectomorph and I've heard we have excessive levels of cortisol also. I take retain. have not tried retain 2 yet. just remember I have been lifting for about 15 yrs and am 6' 195lbs. It takes time to gain muscle without help of steroids. then its hard to maintain that muscle.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use www.fitday.com to keep track of your calories. It really helps to stay on track.

That's interesting to hear about the cortisol. If anybody has any studies on this I would love to see them (I'm an ecto)

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is interesting. I originally thought I was an ecto in highschool (weight about 140lbs) then half way through college started lifting and now I am around 208lbs. Not really sure wtf I am now. Still a lil hard to gain weight but I've been as big as 220lbs. Never tried any cort supps that I can recall....

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is an article on M&M by Kelly B where he references this as one of the drawbacks of "skinny-fat ectomorphs"

Having trouble getting to the studies referenced though and not sure I should link to another site...

Pimp C

Awards
the problem ectomorphs have is that they are insulin resistent so they have trouble storing glycogen in muscle. this is why they have to eat so many carbs to put on any muscle. there bodies go catabolic easily because of insufficient glycogen. this is why they usually get sugar bellies if they do eat enough to gain weight. I would think something like anabolic pump would be better than any of the cortisol blocking products.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well I'm using the 11-Oxo for cortisol control. It has slimmed my waist down quitr a bit in only a week. I seem to be getting tired while i'm on it , not sure if thats related. I'm also getting back pumps off it.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the problem ectomorphs have is that they are insulin resistent so they have trouble storing glycogen in muscle. this is why they have to eat so many carbs to put on any muscle. there bodies go catabolic easily because of insufficient glycogen. this is why they usually get sugar bellies if they do eat enough to gain weight. I would think something like anabolic pump would be better than any of the cortisol blocking products.
This may be why I respond so well to AP....

Sugar belly, lol

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is an article on M&M by Kelly B where he references this as one of the drawbacks of "skinny-fat ectomorphs"

Having trouble getting to the studies referenced though and not sure I should link to another site...
Don't sweat it, that's enough info for me to look it up. I haven't been over there in quite some time, so I'm due.

Thanks,
STX

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
Cortisol is a short term hormone. After research, and talking to professionals, I believe that the idea that cortisol reducers are not that effective. When you combine a good diet and a solid training regimen with a cortisol reducer, you will see results. The thing is, did the cortisol reducer really help? Don't worry about it, unless you are under constant stress, you run marathons, or have a very laborious job, check your diet and training before looking into cortisol products.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just had to bump this because I'm an ectomorph and my last 2 bloodtests my cortisol levels have been high. I am a university student and always under stress, but I don't like the high reading. Cissus hasn't dropped it any yet, but I'll see in a few weeks or whenever I get another blood test.

After reading these posts I'm thinking about picking up some retain to help lower my cortisol, even though my doc said it's nothing to worry about.

If anybody has some other suggestions for me to help drop my cortisol let me know :)

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting thread. I'm an ectomorph too, and a classic hardgainer. I NEED carbs to gain. Interestingly, I took SAN Blaze about two years ago, and noticed an immediate gain in hardness and size. I just ordered NOW 7-Keto from NP, and I'm on it for 5 days now. Same thing; it's a nearly instantaneous effect, I just feel harder, and feel as if I'm making faster progress, even though I havent changed my caloric intake or workout.

Keep in mind my job is highly stressful, I work 70+ hours a week, and I sleep 5-6 hours a night.