Weight gainers a PWO option?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Fructose pre/during/post WO?

I've been on a slow cut since January. I work out early in the morning before work (~6am). I usually use Xtend as a source for aminos during my workout, then mix up a P + C shake afterwards.

I've read many places that pre-workout nutrition is at least as important as post-workout nutrition, if not more. So, recently, I picked up Muscle Milk: Collegiate to use for pre/during/post workout. I start drinking it about 30 min before my workout and have about 1/2 left for after my workout. Using this instead of Xtend hasn't seemed to hurt my fat loss, and strength is climbing.

Now that I'm running out of the MM:C, I was looking for a *gainer* to use in its place. I picked up Ultimate Nutritions Whey Gainer. It's protein comes from whey (which is good for this situation), and it's carbs come from a combo of maltodex and cryst. fructose.

I've seen pros and cons to using fructose wrt to performance and recovery. I'm just wanting some thoughts and/or maybe talk about the pros and cons of using a product w/ fructose instead of one consisting of only dex and/or maltodex.

Thanks!

*yeah, I know I can make my own, which I have done for a long time. But, as I get older, my time is worth more and more, so a pre-packaged product is ideal for pre/post situations.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
I've been on a slow cut since January. I work out early in the morning before work (~6am). I usually use Xtend as a source for aminos during my workout, then mix up a P + C shake afterwards.

I've read many places that pre-workout nutrition is at least as important as post-workout nutrition, if not more. So, recently, I picked up Muscle Milk: Collegiate to use for pre/during/post workout. I start drinking it about 30 min before my workout and have about 1/2 left for after my workout. Using this instead of Xtend hasn't seemed to hurt my fat loss, and strength is climbing.

Now that I'm running out of the MM:C, I was looking for a *gainer* to use in its place. I picked up Ultimate Nutritions Whey Gainer. It's protein comes from whey (which is good for this situation), and it's carbs come from a combo of maltodex and cryst. fructose.

I've seen pros and cons to using fructose wrt to performance and recovery. I'm just wanting some thoughts and/or maybe talk about the pros and cons of using a product w/ fructose instead of one consisting of only dex and/or maltodex.

Thanks!

*yeah, I know I can make my own, which I have done for a long time. But, as I get older, my time is worth more and more, so a pre-packaged product is ideal for pre/post situations.
Providing that the fructose is not terribly high, there should be no real issues with using your current shake.

There are actually quite a few PWO Shake options out there if you so choose, instead of having to use a Weight Gainer. Here are a few that I know of:

Designer Supplements: Replenish
Optimum Nutrition: After Max
Universal Nutrition: Torrent
BiQuest: MyoZene
BSL: CytoFuse

Check out NP for more options as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shep_Zaide Supplements 17
Shep_Zaide Supplements 8
zpalrangi13 Bulking 17
zpalrangi13 Bulking 59
AaronJP1 Supplements 24