How Melamine spiking is done to give the appearance of more protein

moderation

Awards
Straight from the Chinese who do it.

Here at the Shandong Mingshui Great Chemical Group factory, huge boiler vats are turning coal into melamine, which is used to create plastics and fertilizer.

But the leftover melamine scrap, small acorn-sized chunks of white rock, is then being sold to local entrepreneurs, who say they secretly mix a powdered form of the scrap into animal feed to artificially enhance the protein level.

“It just saves money,” says a manager at an animal feed factory here. “Melamine scrap is added to animal feed to boost the protein level.”

The practice is widespread in China. For years animal feed sellers have been able to cheat buyers by blending the powder into feed with little regulatory supervision, according to interviews with melamine scrap traders and agricultural workers here.

“Many companies buy melamine scrap to make animal feed, such as fish feed,” says Ji Denghui, general manager of the Fujian Sanming Dinghui Chemical Company. “I don’t know if there’s a regulation on it. Probably not. No law or regulation says ‘don’t do it,’ so everyone’s doing it. The laws in China are like that, aren’t they? If there’s no accident, there won’t be any regulation.”

Most local feed companies do not admit that they use melamine. But last Friday here in Zhangqiu, a fast-growing industrial city southeast of Beijing, a pair of animal feed producers explained in great detail how they purchase low-grade wheat, corn, soybean or other proteins and then mix in small portions of nitrogen-rich melamine, whose chemical properties give a bag of animal feed an inflated protein level under standard tests.

“If you add it in small quantities, it won’t hurt the animals,” said one animal feed entrepreneur whose name is being withheld to protect him from prosecution.

The man - who works in a small animal feed operation that consists of a handful of storage and mixing areas - said he has mixed melamine into animal feed for years.

How Melamine fools the test for protein content in powders

When bulk powder buyers test for protein content they actually only test for nitrogen content. there is a direct reltionship between the amount of nitrogen and the amount of protein in something. In fact here is a conversion mathmatical equation they use. Well the melmine ups the nitrogen without uping the protien so when buyers see the high nitrogen content they run their mathmatical equation and come up with a false protein amount based onartifically infalted nitrogen content doe to the melamine.

Some Chinese got carried away trying to make their stuff look good and added too much melamine and killed all those animals.

moderation

Awards
You know what this means.

A lot of the protein powders that are coming from China do not contain the amount of protein grams per serving you see on the label.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mine comes from new zeland so I am ok.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
So who wants to start listing where they come from? Now i'm all worried about it. I am guessing the main ones are more likely than our guys on here...