Board Supporter
Awards
Public release date: 15-May-2007
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

[email protected]
301-841-1287
Journal of the National Cancer Institute
Heavy multivitamin use may be linked to advanced prostate cancer

The embargo has been lifted at the request of the submitting PIO.

While regular multivitamin use is not linked with early or localized prostate cancer, taking too many multivitamins may be associated with an increased risk for advanced or fatal prostate cancers, according to a study in the May 16 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Millions of Americans take multivitamins because of a belief in their potential health benefits, even though there is limited scientific evidence that they prevent chronic disease. Researchers have wondered what impact multivitamin use might have on cancer risk.

Karla Lawson, Ph.D., of the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Md., and colleagues followed 295,344 men enrolled in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study to determine the association between multivitamin use and prostate cancer risk. After five years of follow-up, 10,241 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer, including 8,765 with localized cancers and 1,476 with advanced cancers.

The researchers found no association between multivitamin use and the risk of localized prostate cancer. But they did find an increased risk of advanced and fatal prostate cancer among men who used multivitamins more than seven times a week, compared with men who did not use multivitamins. The association was strongest in men with a family history of prostate cancer and men who also took selenium, beta-carotene, or zinc supplements.

“Because multivitamin supplements consist of a combination of several vitamins and men using high levels of multivitamins were also more likely to take a variety of individual supplements, we were unable to identify or quantify individual components responsible for the associations that we observed,” the authors write.

In an accompanying editorial, Goran Bjelakovic, M.D., of the University of Nis in Serbia, and Christian Gluud, M.D., of Copenhagen University Hospital in Denmark, discuss the positive and negative health effects of antioxidant supplements. “Lawson [and colleagues] add to the growing evidence that questions the beneficial value of antioxidant vitamin pills in generally well-nourished populations and underscore the possibility that antioxidant supplements could have unintended consequences for our health,” the authors write.
###

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE: 15 MAY 2007 16:00 ET

• Article: National Cancer Institute Media Relations Branch, 301-496-6641, [email protected]

• Editorial:

o Goran Bjelakovic, [email protected]

o Christian Gluud, [email protected]

Citations:

• Article: Lawson KA, Wright ME, Subar A, Mouw T, Schatzkin A, Leitzmann MF. Multivitamin Use and Risk of Prostate Cancer in the National Institutes of Health – AARP Diet and Health Study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2007; 99: 754-764

• Editorial: Bjelakovic G, Gluud C. Surviving Antioxidant Supplements. J Natl Cancer Inst 2007; 99: 742-743

Note: The Journal of the National Cancer Institute is published by Oxford University Press and is not affiliated with the National Cancer Institute. Attribution to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute is requested in all news coverage. Visit the Journal online at Oxford Journals | Medicine | JNCI J Natl Cancer Inst.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
“Because multivitamin supplements consist of a combination of several vitamins and men using high levels of multivitamins were also more likely to take a variety of individual supplements, we were unable to identify or quantify individual components responsible for the associations that we observed,” the authors write.'

In the real world of science, we call that "INCONCLUSIVE".

Oi.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah, I agree with you bioman. I still thought it was interesting tho and might be of interest to others who read here so I posted it.

The other thing they mention is that the people with the highest level of correlation were those who had a history of prostate cancer in their family, which also makes you wonder how much the multivitamin has to do with it.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
One study showed beta carotene increased risk of lung cancer amongst smokers. that is a group of smokers, and then a group of smokers taking a large amount of beta-carotene long term.

If multivitamins are the case, I would assume because there not balanced well enough, maybe causing a defieciency in another mineral which isnt added. vanadium for example.

I found that study,
NEJM -- Effects of a Combination of Beta Carotene and Vitamin A on Lung Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease

How the hell is 1.28% significant enough that they stopped the study early?!

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
One study showed beta carotene increased risk of lung cancer amongst smokers. that is a group of smokers, and then a group of smokers taking a large amount of beta-carotene long term.

If multivitamins are the case, I would assume because there not balanced well enough, maybe causing a defieciency in another mineral which isnt added. vanadium for example.
Yeah, there was even an article a while back on here about multivitamins containing contaminants like lead. So who knows what kind of variables came into play.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
If you goto www.acu-cell.com you can see how one mineral or vitamin will block another. I am pretty sure ZMA is giving me dry skin because I need to take vitamin E, Calcium, Iron and a strong multi vitamin with it.