Too much Green tea unsafe?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Entrez PubMed
Talk of liver issues with too much. No data though. Unsure I believe this.

Found this series:
Entrez PubMed
Entrez PubMed
Entrez PubMed

500 mg/kg/day is like 40 grams per day for me. 2.2 lbs = 1 kg.

That said - this was only ECGC, not the other stuff in green tea. But - that dose seems pretty damn safe to me. (Albeit, these were conducted on rats - not always a great model back to humans.)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The article says you can do up to forty times green tea, im assuming the writer means forty times the amount of ECGC in a green tea bag?

Note to self- write them and ask, if email address , sn or number is available..if I m concerned.

I would play it safe at the ECGC dose unlress around or exactly how much GT is found to be at safe levels.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like you said, it's very broad and it's actually simply a matter of common sense. Too much of anything is bad...but to overdo it with ECGC and green tea...you would really have to overdo it.

Good post either way.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
ECGC in huge amounts is probably not a good idea, I agree. It's a very potent phytochemical and we've only recently started isolating it and consuming en masse so it's important to remain open to possibilities.

One big problem with green tea extracts is that the GT plant stores a lot of flouride. In extracts the flouride level can supposedly be quite high. Flouride has been implicated as a carcinogen as well as an endocrine disrupter..binds to thyroid hormone receptors et cetera.

How big of a problem this really is..I dunno, but it needs more attention from the research community since it is a popular supplement.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One big problem with green tea extracts is that the GT plant stores a lot of flouride. In extracts the flouride level can supposedly be quite high. Flouride has been implicated as a carcinogen as well as an endocrine disrupter..binds to thyroid hormone receptors et cetera.
Don't people brush with fluoride? :icon_lol:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
ECGC in huge amounts is probably not a good idea, I agree. It's a very potent phytochemical and we've only recently started isolating it and consuming en masse so it's important to remain open to possibilities.

How big of a problem this really is..I dunno, but it needs more attention from the research community since it is a popular supplement.
What he said. There are some reports of liver issues. Mostly with extracts. Just remember that with an extract you're concentrating all sorts of things from the parent substance - not necessarily just the desirable compound).

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Don't people brush with fluoride? :icon_lol:
Yes, but with small doses most of which is absorbed into the teeth and not digested systemically. I personally believe that the longitudinal data shows fluoride to be pretty safe for the public health uses it is utilized for. However, if concentrated and ingested consistently (in addition to that which people already ingest through flurodated water, toothpaste, etc.) it could cause all sorts of biological mischief.

You also have to remember that as the pool of people taking a product increases, the adverse effects will increase. Peanuts will cause a certain percentage of people go go into shock and die if ingested. If a million people take green tea extract, some of them are going to have bad reactions to it. It's a statistical certainty. People get sick and die from normally innocuous substances all the time.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, but with small doses most of which is absorbed into the teeth and not digested systemically. I personally believe that the longitudinal data shows fluoride to be pretty safe for the public health uses it is utilized for. However, if concentrated and ingested consistently (in addition to that which people already ingest through flurodated water, toothpaste, etc.) it could cause all sorts of biological mischief.
So when they ask you at the dentist do you get the flouride treatment?. I know this probally doesn't really have much to do with the thread but I'm just puting it out there..

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
So when they ask you at the dentist do you get the flouride treatment?. I know this probally doesn't really have much to do with the thread but I'm just puting it out there..
Yes I do. Like I said, I believe that it is safe for the public health purposes it is used for. However, once again that fluoride treatment concentrates the absorbtion into the teeth. You don't swallow it and digest it through your body.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I do. Like I said, I believe that it is safe for the public health purposes it is used for. However, once again that fluoride treatment concentrates the absorbtion into the teeth. You don't swallow it and digest it through your body.

I always happen to swallow some of it, after all its buble gum flavored!. I have to go to the dentist in a week or two. I dread the dentist.