Should I Be Taking an Anti-Cortisol Supplement?

magx

Awards
I have Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis and the doctor has me on Entocort (it's a corticosteroid similar to Prednisone but less harsh). I am currently tapering my dosage down, have about 1.5 weeks left.

Anyways, I have been on a cycle of M1T and I am wondering if the Entocort is having a negative effect (reducing the effectiveness of the M1T). Anyone know?

And aside from the M1T, would the Entocort be causing me problems trying to gain LBM just in general??

Would an Anti-Cortisol Supplement be useful? Are they proven to be effective?

If so, which one(s) would you recommend and when/how should I use them? Now, PCT, or not at all since I am almost done the Entocort?

I'm in Canada btw (I don't know if they're hormonal or not, and hormonal supplements are banned here).

I hope this wasn't too many questions and I appreciate any and all input.

dr ozz

dr ozz

Awards
None! Having an inflammatory disease like Crohns and UC a anti-cort could make your condition worse. I would stay away from anti-corts in you case period. I think you will make nice gains anyway..

/Ozz

magx

Awards
I just came back to state that I just read that corticosteroids LOWER cortisol and I saw your post. Seems as though an anti-cortisol supplement would be a BAD idea!!!!

Thanks. I just hope the entocort isn't having a negative effect on my gains.

dr ozz

dr ozz

Awards
It's not worth messing with your condition for a few extra pounds of what still is good gains. Your health is what's important. Making you sick and unable to work-out will for sure make you lose more muscle than avoiding anti-corts would. Good luck and stay healthy:cheers:

Cortisol IS a corticosteroid and by taking exogenic ones you LOWER your own production and that is why you taper you dos down slowly.

magx

Awards
thank you sir :)

I know all about being sick and unable to work out, unfortunately. I lost years of progress due to months and months of inactivity after a couple of surgeries and illness, and have recently got bak into "the game" totally rededicated with a solid diet and great, intense workouts. Feels fantastic to be back but I was just worried that it was all for nothing b/c of this stupid medication.

But apparently I don't have much to worry about, so thanks.

Oh, since I have you here, do you know anything about regular anti-inflamatories and their effects (if any) on muscle building/fat loss? I am taking Pentasa, which is for life, unlike the Entocort which is thankfully almost done. I doubt it, but the Pentasa wouldn't be haiving a negative effect on my bodybuilding goals would it?? Do you (or anyone else) know?

dr ozz

dr ozz

Awards
Glad your back in the game!!

NSAID'S like ASA is known in studies to some extent inhihibit protein synthesis. I for one question the value of this knowledge in real life since I and many with me have gained muscle while on medication like diclofenac and naproxene. Pentasa is good cause it works it's magic mostly localy than systemic. Lets say there is a small inhibition of protein synthesis, I think you can compensate with good whey and addition of nice EAA. So don't worry about it to much!!

/Ozz

magx

Awards
Glad your back in the game!!
Lets say there is a small inhibition of protein synthesis, I think you can compensate with good whey and addition of nice EAA. So don't worry about it to much!!

/Ozz
well, the whey is a staple, so no problem there........what's EAA?

thanks for the input btw!

magx

Awards
Nice to see another Crohn's buddy out in the bb community.

What other supps are you taking? Did raising your test irritate your IBD?

I would not recommend taking an anti-cortisol.

Here is a brief thread with some info on Prednisone:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/64033-predisone.html

Good luck with remission.
Hi there! Yes, BB'ing is helping me with my Crohn's and Colitis. The dietary changes I have made have made a huge impact, and I am even contemplating going off the Pentasa as well but we'll see what the doc says in June. I was in baaad shape for a while there and still have a lot of perianal trouble (hope I'm not being too forward lol) but I am much better now than I was.

As for supplements......whey protein everyday, I'm on an M1T cycle right now (Promatrix M1T Plex....heard of it before???) and that's about it. I was using tribulus for a while b/c i thought the Entocort was going to lower my testosterone levels but I don't know if that's true and since I am on M1T anyways I stopped but I will start using it again during PCT.

That's it for now. I have some M-Drol beign shipped and I will order 3-AD when it's released so I will probably do a cycle or two of each of thise but not for quite some time. Once I am done with this M1T plex and subsequent PCT I am going to just work out natural for a while, I think I might have jumped back into the anabolics a bit too soon.

I might add creatine to my whey and do that for a couple of months before I start with the m-drol or 3-ad.

dr ozz

dr ozz

Awards
EAA-essential amino acids. When taken allone they are known to increase protein synthesis in a few minutes. Offcourse whey increase PS aswell but EAA works a little better according to research.

magx

Awards
EAA-essential amino acids. When taken allone they are known to increase protein synthesis in a few minutes. Offcourse whey increase PS aswell but EAA works a little better according to research.
is there a supplement that will provide these EAA's?? Sorry for my ingorance.......

...wait are you talking about BCAA's? I know you can buy BCAA powder......

dr ozz

dr ozz

Awards
is there a supplement that will provide these EAA's?? Sorry for my ingorance.......

...wait are you talking about BCAA's? I know you can buy BCAA powder......

NP has them in Bulk for a nice price(not bcaa). Her's one rapport:

J Appl Physiol 88: 386-392, 2000;
8750-7587/00
Vol. 88, Issue 2, 386-392, February 2000

An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise
Blake B. Rasmussen, Kevin D. Tipton, Sharon L. Miller, Steven E. Wolf, and Robert R. Wolfe
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch and Metabolism Unit, Shriners Burns Institute, Galveston, Texas 77550

This study was designed to determine the response of muscle protein to the bolus ingestion of a drink containing essential amino acids and carbohydrate after resistance exercise. Six subjects (3 men, 3 women) randomly consumed a treatment drink (6 g essential amino acids, 35 g sucrose) or a flavored placebo drink 1 h or 3 h after a bout of resistance exercise on two separate occasions. We used a three-compartment model for determination of leg muscle protein kinetics. The model involves the infusion of ring-2H5-phenylalanine, femoral arterial and venous blood sampling, and muscle biopsies. Phenylalanine net balance and muscle protein synthesis were significantly increased above the predrink and corresponding placebo value (P < 0.05) when the drink was taken 1 or 3 h after exercise but not when the placebo was ingested at 1 or 3 h. The response to the amino acid-carbohydrate drink produced similar anabolic responses at 1 and 3 h. Muscle protein breakdown did not change in response to the drink. We conclude that essential amino acids with carbohydrates stimulate muscle protein anabolism by increasing muscle protein synthesis when ingested 1 or 3 h after resistance exercise.

And a link to another one Essential amino acids and muscle protein recovery from resistance exercise -- Børsheim et al. 283 (4): E648 -- AJP - Endocrinology and Metabolism

magx

Awards
very interesting reads. So it seems that 6 grams of EAA's ingested anyhwere from 1-3 hours after resistance training increases protein synthesis. Very important finding for all of us, but perhaps more so for people like myself, who have limited protein synthesis due to IBD.

I wish they had compared ingestion at 1 hour with immediate ingestion (like 5 minutes after) because I'd liek to buy them now but I would find it easier to mix them in with my PWO shake which I ingest within minutes after exercise....

EDIT: I just checked nutraplanet and they are out it seems. I might just check the local stores, and if they are reasonably priced I'll buy it here otherwise I'll get it elsewhere online....the shipping fees to Canada suck though.

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
You shouldnt be worrying about the Entocort. The amount of Budesonide abosrbed systemically is VERY small. It acts more "topically" and locally within the intestine. It has a high first pass metabolism and the metabolites that are absorbed have low activity.

magx

Awards
You shouldnt be worrying about the Entocort. The amount of Budesonide abosrbed systemically is VERY small. It acts more "topically" and locally within the intestine. It has a high first pass metabolism and the metabolites that are absorbed have low activity.
interesting, thank you.

What about the effects of Pentasa (if any) on bodybuilding? Any idea? (I know the person above said nto to worry but perhaps you might disagree)?