Melatonin slows signs of aging in mice

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
April 25, 2007

Melatonin slows signs of aging in mice

Research conducted by The Spanish Ageing Research Network, headed by Dario Acuna Castroviejo of the University of Granada in Spain, has found that orally administered melatonin can help delay the effects of aging in mice.

Dr Acuna Castroviejo, of the University of Granada's Institute of Biotechnology, and his colleagues gave mice genetically engineered to age more rapidly as well as normal mice small amounts of melatonin beginning at five months of age when the animals begin to stop producing adequate levels of the hormone.

" We proved that the first signs of ageing in animal tissues start at the age of five months [in mice] – equivalent to 30 human years of age – due to an increase in free radicals (oxygen and nitrogen), which cause an inflammatory reaction,” explained Dr Acuna Castroviejo, who has coauthored a number of studies on melatonin and aging published in the Journal of Pineal Research.

It was discovered that melatonin neutralized aging-associated oxidative stress and inflammation, and delayed their effects. The researchers hope that the finding will be applicable to humans, and aid in the prevention of age-related diseases such as diabetes and Parkinson's disease.

Melatonin is found in small quantities in onions, cherries, bananas, corn, oats, rice, mint, lemon verbena, sage, thyme, and red wine. While melatonin is widely available in the United States as an over the counter nutritional supplement, Dr Acuna Castroviejo noted that melatonin is not currently approved by the Spanish Ministry of Health. "While the substance becomes legalised, humans should try to increase melatonin consumption through food," he recommends.

mss07

Awards
I use this stuff to fall asleep at night, works like a charm!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Recent flex promotes it to take post-training, suppose to release gh. There a whole article on it in there. Ive heard it can cause Testostrone to drop . If I do take it I take it once every so often.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
The Recent flex promotes it to take post-training, suppose to release gh. There a whole article on it in there. Ive heard it can cause Testostrone to drop . If I do take it I take it once every so often.
A link on that would be helpful....never heard that before.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There was a debate on here a couple years ago about Mel and test. Sorry I just dont have the time to find it. I used to take sometimes every night intill a few years ago intill I saw the research and that thread.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
1: J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 1995 Oct-Dec;8(4):295-9.

Pseudo-precocious puberty in a male patient and the melatonin-testosterone relationship

.Lubo****zky R, Tiosano D, Ben-Harush M, Thuma I, Ayash A, Lavie P, Etzioni A.
Department of Endocrinology, Central Emek Hospital, Afula, Israel.

We describe a 14 year-old boy with a pineal germ cell tumor which secreted beta HCG. Serum testosterone levels were markedly elevated with concomitant decreased LH secretion. 24-h serum melatonin levels were suppressed and lacked the normal nocturnal rise. Pineal radiation therapy was followed by tumor regression and the diminution of beta HCG stimulated testosterone, which in turn inhibited melatonin and LH. When beta HCG and testosterone were normalized after tumor radiation, a recovery of normal melatonin and LH secretory pattern occurred. These results indicate that circulating testosterone down-regulates pineal melatonin.

PMID: 8821909 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

closest thing i could find
The opposite of what smeaton said but it's not unreasonable to assume that you'd see the effect he gestured at through a negative feedback loop.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well I trust PUBMED. so this is saying Mel is good for test?

In flex it says its good for gh production

It was seen that Mel causes Test drop. Wish Had the thread if Ill try to find the thread. Ive already searched and nada. If I remeber correctly Dr D or some Dr was on it, could be mistaken though

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
well I trust PUBMED. so this is saying Mel is good for test?

In flex it says its good for gh production

It was seen that Mel causes Test drop. Wish Had the thread if Ill try to find the thread. Ive already searched and nada. If I remeber correctly Dr D or some Dr was on it, could be mistaken though

Well, this says that test causes melatonin to drop (at least in the kid undergoing chemo). It very well could be that supra-physiological levels of melatonin might exert some negative feedback loop on test - or the info could have gotten garbled via the telephone game somehwere along the way.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
whats the telephone game? People that mis-interupt the information correct?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This Months flex

206 Wake up to Big Gains
When you hit the gym for an intense workout, it’s important to be focused and alert. You may be surprised to learn that melatonin, a well-known sleep aid, can help stimulate growth in muscles.
By Len Davis and Jim Stoppani, PhD

Dr. John Never saw you before , Hello. are you amedical Doctor? are you highly researched specifically with Mel use

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
whats the telephone game? People that mis-interupt the information correct?
Yeah, one person says something, they repeat it to someone else, they repeat it to someone else, etc. and at each stage the person makes some small error in repeating it. By the time it goes through a number of people the original message can get really garbled.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I Sleep like a baby on this stuff. Do you recommend cycling off or is it safe to use all the time?

p951

p951

Awards
Years ago, when I was a college kid, my friends and I would take Mel's (as we called them) in addition to our daily 420 intake. They definitely provided an unidentified element to our evening. Whether or not it was anti-aging, it was definitely relaxing. Many a fool passed out or fell asleep shortly after - All waking up in the morning refreshed and ready to go though. Props to Mel's (3 g's are the bomb)

p951

p951

Awards
These are the Tales, the Freaky Tales, these are the Tales that I Tell so well, these are the Tales, the Freaky Tales, these are the Tales that I Tell So Well. I met this girl, her name was JOAN, she loved the way I rocked on the Bodybuilding Phone; She was like, a Whore with a Bone, a simple Doggy ***** on the Microphone. I met this girl, her name was Ann, when I met Ann, Her Pussy was RAND, Her Pussy smelled weird like a day in the sand. Young and tender, Sweet Denise, get her in the bed and the girl's a beast, I'll tell you home boy if you get a piece, she'll only start talking bout signing a lease. Pussy is good, but not the best, If you want the best, then you will shoot up TEST! Test is cool, until you gyno, once you get that, you turn into a whino! Please don't post, lest you have Nolva, Letro is good to have on hand also. PCT, a minimum of 4, hit it up hard so your breasts don't swell; If you don't do this, Your boobies will tell, weighing at about 5 pounds they will swell. You don't want nips, as big as A chicks! You just want to dip into her hips!!! These are my tales, along with Too Shorts, I just want to give props to my cohorts. Tribulus for drive, it keeps me alive. It does nothing for test, but sex is the best! Play with your weiner at lunchtime, This Sentence You Just Read Completes My Rhyme!:bb:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's an interesting study recently regarding long term use of Melatonin:

J Androl. 2002 Jul-Aug;23(4):572-8.java script:popUpMenu2_Set(Menu12065466); Comment in:J Androl. 2004 Mar-Apr;25(2):185-6; author reply 186-7.
Melatonin administration alters semen quality in healthy men.

Lubo****zky R,
Shen-Orr Z,
Nave R,
Lavi S,
Lavie P.
Department of Endocrinology, Haemek Medical Center, Afula, Israel. lubo****[email protected]

The role of melatonin in the regulation of reproduction in humans is unknown. We conducted a 6-month, double-blind, crossover study of a daily treatment dose of 3 mg melatonin or placebo given orally at 1700 hours in 8 healthy men. Semen quality (concentration, motility, and morphology), serum and seminal plasma 17-beta-estradiol (E(2)), testosterone, melatonin, and serum gonadotropin levels were determined every 3 months throughout the study. In 6 men, there was no change in semen quality or in serum and seminal plasma hormone levels during the study period. In 2 men, during the melatonin treatment period, sperm concentration decreased to 3 x 10(6)/mL and 12 x 10(6)/mL, and motility declined to 32% and 30%. These coincided with a decline in seminal plasma and serum E(2) levels and with an increase in testosterone:E(2) ratios. Six months after the cessation of melatonin, sperm concentration and motility were normal in 1 man but remained abnormal in the other one with a still elevated testosterone:E(2) ratio. Serum gonadotropin levels were unchanged during the study in all 8 men. Our preliminary observations suggest that long-term melatonin administration is associated with decreased semen quality in a number of healthy men, probably through the inhibition of aromatase at the testicular level.

The full study is available here:

Melatonin Administration Alters Semen Quality in Healthy Men -- Lubo****zky et al. 23 (4): 572 -- Journal of Andrology

I got it from Mind and muscle . Heres the thread

Melatonin alters sperm quality - Mind and Muscle Forums