Is The World Coming To An End?

jrob24

Awards
so i went to my nutrition store yesterday to pick up some protein, the guy there, said that protein powder is about to double in price because the company that extracts whey from milk is upping their prices, which in return is making it more costly for supplement companies to produce their whey protein powders.....HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THIS? OR IS THIS JUST A BUNCH OF BS LIKE IM HOPING IT IS?:think:

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I think what he meant to say is protein powder in his store doubling in price and be ready to get screwed by him.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its true. Its going up across the board.

jrob24

Awards
lol ya seriously, he is one of those people that likes to talk so i didnt really believe it but in the back of my head worried....but he is just a worker, its not his store so i dont know what he would get out of it, proli just bs'ing for fun

jrob24

Awards
oh really? : ( ....is it true that it is going to double or was that exaggerated?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on what each company does but in general the price is going up across the board pretty significantly.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm.... Maybe I don't need protien powder as much as I thought I did.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The room is spinning around, vision blurring, anger rising...somebody hold me.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
As everyone said, whey prices are going to go up. Luckily,the point is moot because yes, the world is coming to an end.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
More incentive to eat chicken and egg whites :)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I can't afford any more whey or meat...I'll have to start preying on hobos.

jrob24

Awards
haha ya seriously im just going to take in more chicken and egg white meals than i already do if this really happens....today at the gym i talked to a guy who owns his own nutrition store locally and i asked him about the whole ordeal and he said that as far as he knows that only dymatize and ON are the only ones who are jacking up their prices, but he said that is as of now that they are the first ones who have actually done it...he said for an example that he use to get the 10 pounds box of dymatize elite protein for wholesale at 32$ and now they are charging him 52$ as of this week, but other then those two companies everything else is the same for the time being...he said he'll let me know if any other bump their prices then next time he order a new shipment

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Egg whites from whole eggs are pretty cheap. There's other things we need clarification on

1. We all know whey isolate is more the whey concentrate so I would like to know how much the concentrate is going up in relation to isolte ?

2. Will it actually be more economical then casein and egg powder at the end of the day ?

3. How much will it affect the price of protein blends which have many protein sources in their formula ? I really like Lean Mass Matrix's MRP but if it skyrockets then it wouldn't be worth it IMO.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I heard a 10-15% increase. and dynamatize is the brand that I usually use. guess its time to start shopping around for the best price on protein again.

I think I will tell my mom to get some chickens for her farm.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
so i went to my nutrition store yesterday to pick up some protein, the guy there, said that protein powder is about to double in price because the company that extracts whey from milk is upping their prices, which in return is making it more costly for supplement companies to produce their whey protein powders.....HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THIS? OR IS THIS JUST A BUNCH OF BS LIKE IM HOPING IT IS?:think:
Yup...unfortunatly, protein prices are sky rocketing for most companies. We actually made the decision to discontinue our protein based products for now until things settle. Hopefully this won't last for to long.

In the mean time, we will be launching a few more products that are currently in development...stay tuned! :)

Workin

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's like the whey producers formed their own OPEC.

We need alternative proteins now!

lol

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't use whey protein that much. If I get a 5 pound jug it lasts me at least 3 months. Its not really all that important to me. I do use it but just don't have that many servings per day. I like to get my protein from real food anyway, so this really isn't a concern...

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Prices are controlled by supply AND demand. We know the wholesale supply prices are going up but if demand plummets, then companies with either lower their prices and get by on a smaller profit margin, find other ways to squeeze-out efficiencies in their operations, or stop selling the product. I wouldn't panic. It might take 6 months to even out but a new price equilibrium will be found.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Prices are controlled by supply AND demand. We know the wholesale supply prices are going up but if demand plummets, then companies with either lower their prices and get by on a smaller profit margin, find other ways to squeeze-out efficiencies in their operations, or stop selling the product. I wouldn't panic. It might take 6 months to even out but a new price equilibrium will be found.
Well said. ;)

Workin

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i appreciate your optimism but i dont see this happening. whey protein is like bodybuidling's oil from middle east. we are dependant on it. if whey goes up then other bodybuilding proteins will go up too. there is no getting around us using protein powder. were ****ed

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
i appreciate your optimism but i dont see this happening. whey protein is like bodybuidling's oil from middle east. we are dependant on it. if whey goes up then other bodybuilding proteins will go up too. there is no getting around us using protein powder. were ****ed
I take in about 300-350mg of protein a day and I barely ever touch whey :)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take in about 300-350mg of protein a day and I barely ever touch whey :)

I don't eat nearly as much protein but I don't really use whey all that much either. I could live without it no problem. If you are "dependant" on it, then you need to re-evaluate your diet.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
And when oil prices go up, consumers compensate. They consume less or switch to substitute goods.

In this case, the only thing really going for whey protein is its convenience. People will pay a premium for convenience but at a given price point they'll just switch to other sources of protein.

Moreover, markets self-correct. If prices stay high for a period of time, then more people will move into the wholesale production part of the industry to try and capture some of those high prices. This will increase supply and drive-down prices. There is always a lag time, but whey protein isn't a finite good. It's fairly easy to ramp-up production. Higher prices signal to producers to do precisely that.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And when oil prices go up, consumers compensate. They consume less or switch to substitute goods.

In this case, the only thing really going for whey protein is its convenience. People will pay a premium for convenience but at a given price point they'll just switch to other sources of protein.

Moreover, markets self-correct. If prices stay high for a period of time, then more people will move into the wholesale production part of the industry to try and capture some of those high prices. This will increase supply and drive-down prices. There is always a lag time, but whey protein isn't a finite good. It's fairly easy to ramp-up production. Higher prices signal to producers to do precisely that.

i hope your right man but how often do things like food go down in price. not too often if ever. inflation is a beatch

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
So, can we invade whatever country is jacking us on the whey???

...sorry wrong forum!

Does anyone know if this increase is due to new testing policies on imports?...damn regulations

I have heard that there are these special supplements , that increase you bodies ability to synthesis protein. The increased protein efficiency would result in a more positive nitrogen retention and the body would need less actual protein,..if I could only get these special supplements...:lol:

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is buying protein in Bulk a bad idea, meaning does it degrade easy, what is the shelf life?

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I'm still lookin for an answer: Any companies selling protein that from start to finish was produced on U.S. soil? No imports...?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
i hope your right man but how often do things like food go down in price. not too often if ever. inflation is a beatch

Well, you can't look at absolute prices. There are some formulas used to derive purchasing power parity. Basically, you want to see how much of a good could be purchased with an day's wages at one point in time versus another. The absolute price of the good may have gone up, but what really matters is how affordable the good is to the consumer - and you look at that through their purchasing power (basically wages).

Some goods become more expensive over time while other goods become cheaper. 20 years ago a VCR cost $2000. Now you can get one for $20 at today's dollar value (not even worrying about discounting for the inflation that happened in that 20 years).

In the short-term, people will feel jacked by these price increase (especially if they really do double) but in the long run things will work out.

Prices for whey are going up because the price of feed for cows is going up (and a few other issues including droughts in some producing regions, increased consumption elsewhere). As a result of the higher feed costs, dairy milk production in North America has gone down.

However, price increases should really only be around 10% looking at the fundamentals.

It appears that speculators have moved into the whey futures markets which has exagerated the price increases as they corner part of the market sensing an opportunity for windfall profit.

Right now, whey prices should increase anywhere from 10-40% over the next six months. Any protein company that attempts to double its prices are either really bad businesspeople or exploiting you.

Nonetheless, things will work out over time. Higher prices will cause increased production - driving down prices. The speculators will move on to the next commodity experiencing a supply crunch and a new price equilibrium will be arrived at.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just went on all they whey and got 10 pounds whey isolate and 10 pounds milk isolate for $129 so screw it I'll order another 20 pounds next month and be set for 8 months.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
true protein... They ship immediately and IMHO are superior.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
true protein is the bomb.

anyway yeahright, whey is a food, a staple of society. vcrs are antiquated objects. milk is a renewable food. it is not the same kind of market as electronics. if you looked at a line graph that had the price of milk diplayed over the past fifty years you would see what i mean. the price of it will never ever go down. sure maybe small little incrimental decreases but over time it is going up. i guess we'll see who is right it about a year, ill remember this conversation lol.

its a win win for me cuz if i lose then whey will be cheap lol.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
true protein is the bomb.

anyway yeahright, whey is a food, a staple of society. vcrs are antiquated objects. milk is a renewable food. it is not the same kind of market as electronics. if you looked at a line graph that had the price of milk diplayed over the past fifty years you would see what i mean. the price of it will never ever go down. sure maybe small little incrimental decreases but over time it is going up.

No, whey protein is a waste product that only recently was converted into a food item. Until very recently, it was simply discarded or used as fertilizer.

Yes, milk prices have increased over fifty years but that's only looking at absolute values. Those are meaningless. To gauge any real meaning from those numbers they have to be normalized using a purchasing power formula. In short, how long did an average person have to work to earn $1 and how much product did that dollar buy the person (50 years ago vs. now). When you do those calculations, you get a measure of the "real" price of milk.

Commodity prices fluctuate but not by that much. Milk is kept artificially high through farm price support programs designed to shield farmers from sharp market fluctuations. Consumers are protected from price fluctuations going too high because it's realtively easy to ramp-up dairy production.....which farmers do when there is the opportunity for increased profit. The influx of higher volume then depresses prices.

Like I said, looking at the fundamentals (price increases of farm inputs) it looks like we should be seeing a 10% increase. However, commodity speculators have been buying up futures contracts which will lock-in articially high prices over the short-term. There's no reason to see price increases greater than 25% from the data I've reviewed. I think that we're in the middle of a little panic that looks something like this:

Droughts in New Zealand caused a small contraction of supply.
Increased consumption in some regions further contracted supply.
Fuel and feed prices caused North American farmers to decrease production thus contracting supply.
Commodities speculators saw these events and began to buy up futures contracts, locking in high prices outwards into the future.
Whey Protein Powder producers got caught by surprise (because they didn't have their own futures contracts in place or had expiring ones) and thus are watching the price of their main input go up suddenly.

The reason not to panic is that most of these items will be adjusted over time. Feed producers will increase production to take advantage of higher prices. This will lower the price of the feed. Dairy producers will increase production to take advantage of higher prices. This will lower the price of their product. The speculators will move on to the next commodity experiencing a supply crunch. Droughts and consumption patterns fluctuate.

These are all normal things that happen in the marketplace. It's not like there is some disease wiping out dairy herds. Something like that would be a hard adjustment to the fundamentals. All the things in play right now are soft adjustments which the markets will compensate for.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to yeahright again.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No, whey protein is a waste product that only recently was converted into a food item. Until very recently, it was simply discarded or used as fertilizer.

Yes, milk prices have increased over fifty years but that's only looking at absolute values. Those are meaningless. To gauge any real meaning from those numbers they have to be normalized using a purchasing power formula. In short, how long did an average person have to work to earn $1 and how much product did that dollar buy the person (50 years ago vs. now). When you do those calculations, you get a measure of the "real" price of milk.

Commodity prices fluctuate but not by that much. Milk is kept artificially high through farm price support programs designed to shield farmers from sharp market fluctuations. Consumers are protected from price fluctuations going too high because it's realtively easy to ramp-up dairy production.....which farmers do when there is the opportunity for increased profit. The influx of higher volume then depresses prices.

Like I said, looking at the fundamentals (price increases of farm inputs) it looks like we should be seeing a 10% increase. However, commodity speculators have been buying up futures contracts which will lock-in articially high prices over the short-term. There's no reason to see price increases greater than 25% from the data I've reviewed. I think that we're in the middle of a little panic that looks something like this:

Fuel and feed prices caused North American farmers to decrease production thus contracting supply.
Commodities speculators saw these events and began to buy up futures contracts, locking in high prices outwards into the future.
Whey Protein Powder producers got caught by surprise (because they didn't have their own futures contracts in place or had expiring ones) and thus are watching the price of their main input go up suddenly.

The reason not to panic is that most of these items will be adjusted over time. Feed producers will increase production to take advantage of higher prices. This will lower the price of the feed. Dairy producers will increase production to take advantage of higher prices. This will lower the price of their product. The speculators will move on to the next commodity experiencing a supply crunch. Droughts and consumption patterns fluctuate.

These are all normal things that happen in the marketplace. It's not like there is some disease wiping out dairy herds. Something like that would be a hard adjustment to the fundamentals. All the things in play right now are soft adjustments which the markets will compensate for.
according to the latest fluctuations in the dairy market, the national reserve was forced to step in and alter the status of the American Farmers Association into surplus, this in turn means that dairy prices will.........uh your argument was good.

but seriousy i think we are on the same page. i was not talking a monumental increase just an annoying increase. either way it is an increase. sucks

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: economics major? lol. he is right though, in theory, this is EXACTLY how the market works.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The stuff I am taking has not gone up in price.

ultraman

Awards
  • Established
Political Economy for my undergraduate degree.
wow... I know nothing about politics, economy or political economy :think: but I can definitely see the price increase everywhere :rant:

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established

:goodpost: I swear, u have to be an economics professor or something. all your input on this topic is right on with everything i learned in econ last semester, and i aced the class. im just impressed with all that knowledge.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
Political Economy for my undergraduate degree.
oh, i see. im shocked because i realized, after reading your posts, i actually retained something from that class. its great to understand these types of things.