Everyone needs to comment here. We only have to april 30th FDA action

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
this has been posted on other forums

Urgent! This is not a joke or e-mail legend. If you do not act on this you may never be able to get any nutritional products again unless your doctor prescribes them. And we know two things about that:

Most, but certainly not all doctors, have virtually NO training regarding nutritional supplements.

Once the product comes from a drug company instead of a nutritional company the price skyrockets immediately.

If you have EVER bought anything (natural health product) over the counter, on line, phone, or thru a distributor the FDA is planning to put a stop to this.

Please, Please
respond to the URL listed below & help us stop the FDA-again!

There is a CRISIS in HEALTH FREEDOM!! On April 30, 2007 the FDA will close the public comment period on a 'Guidance' which will classify
EVERY alternative practice as medicine so that only licensed physicians can carry out the procedure AND vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc., will suddenly become 'untested drugs' which WILL BE FORBIDDEN!

Bad? Real Bad! But public outcry can stop this assault on your health and your freedom.

I don't normally pass these types of email around - but this one is very important. Please take a moment to read it and respond. We must protect our rights to use supplements without the involvement of the FDA. Pharmaceutical companies would like nothing more than to strip you of your rights to purchase over-the-counter supplements.

If you don't think its possible take a look north to Canada or across the ocean to Europe. You can't buy DHEA in Canada. You can't buy free form amino acids without a prescription in Europe!

Take a minute to use the link at the bottom and let the FDA know you won't sit still and have them railroad you!

Please share this link with them and urge them to take action:

The letter to the government is already written, all you need to do to send it is to go here:

Democracy In Action

Spread the word! Tell everyone in your Circle of Influence, professionals, alternative practitioners, nutrient and herb companies, everyone! Let them know how important their participation is to make sure the FDA backs off from this repressive course.

The letter to the government is already written, all you need to do to send it is to go here:

Democracy In Action

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is this legit?

It seems like this kind of thing goes around every so often.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Looks like someone heard something about something and went to this. Never heard of that yet..

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Once I have verification that this is indeed fact, I will have no problem signing and sending to everyone I know.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
I can't fathom that this could possibly be real

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have heard rumors of this every year, never know when to take it seriously, but it is always good to check out just incase this is the big one

human

human

Awards
This is BULL the same thing happened at another form It sayed basically the same stuuff and this was on april fouls.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
real or not SENT

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
this is what is currently posted at Save Our Supplements - Protect Your Access to Safe, Effective & Affordable Dietary Supplements. they have like interfaces to send letters to your states representatives and congress people as well as other actions with FDA polls. They also provide up to minute info and current status on each bill.

What Legislation is Congress Considering?
Congress is now considering legislation that would take away your access to safe, effective and affordable dietary supplements.

The Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act (H.R. 3156), introduced by Representatives Davis (D-CA), Waxman (D-CA), and Dingell (D-MI), this month, would place trusted vitamins, minerals, and herbs under unprecedented and unwarranted scrutiny.

The legislation would:

Regulate supplements in ways similar to prescription drugs

Require adverse event reports to be turned over to the FDA, even though other foods - including those with identical ingredients - do not have the same requirements

Order supplement companies to demonstrate that a vitamin or mineral is not adulterated - in other words, disproving a negative

Allow the Health and Human Services Secretary to declare that a supplement presents an unreasonable risk to the public, even if he/she cannot prove that the substance has actually caused harm in particular cases.
If H.R. 3156 becomes law, 70 percent of dietary supplements currently on the market would become subject to burdensome new regulations - some equivalent to those required for prescription drugs - driving up supplement prices for everyone and forcing well known dietary supplements to disappear from store shelves. Review our position paper. Check current bill status. Take action to tell your elected officials to oppose H.R. 3156.

The Senate is considering S. 1137, a bill to include dehydroepiandrosterone or DHEA, as an anabolic steroid. This legislation would add DHEA to the list of controlled substances, causing it to be immediately removed from the market when the bill becomes law. S. 1137 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. We expect that similar legislation will be introduced in the House very soon.

DHEA is not an anabolic steroid. It is a naturally occurring hormone that has a wide range of benefits, including maintaining muscle strength and strong bones, boosting immunity, and improving mood and sleep patterns. Further studies suggest that DHEA may be helpful for such conditions as obesity, cancer and Alzheimer's disease. DHEA dietary supplements, which have been on the market for over 20 years, are derived from a plant in the wild yam family. Review our position paper. Check current bill status. Tell Congress you oppose S. 1137.
Congress is also considering legislation that would make dietary supplements more accessible:

The Dietary Supplement and Healthy Meal Replacement Tax Parity Act, H.R. 1545. Under this act, foods and dietary supplements with approved health claims can receive the same tax treatment as other products that maintain health and prevent illness. Review our position paper.

The Healthy People, Healthy Choices Act of 2005, H.R. 161 , and the introduction of a companion bill in the Senate, which would authorize the Center for Disease Control to provide grants to promote healthy eating and exercise among minorities. Review our position paper.

The DSHEA Full Implementation and Enforcement Act, H.R. 2485 , which would ensure that the FDA has adequate funding to carry out the law as Congress intended. Review our position paper.

The Dietary Supplement Tax Fairness Act of 2005, H.R. 2486 , and the re-introduction of a companion bill in the Senate that would allow for the deductibility of dietary supplements in a manner consistent with other health care expenses that receive favorable treatment by the IRS. Review our position paper.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Anyone have a link to the actual bills?

CROWLER

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have a link to the actual bills?

CROWLER
'To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to dietary supplements.'
Bill # H.R.3156

'A bill to include dehydroepiandrosterone as an anabolic steroid.'
Bill # S.1137

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
a prescription for protein shakes? yea ok

does these idiots understand how much of these "supplements" are in the food we eat every single day? do i need a prescription for a glass of milk or a piece of steak?

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
a prescription for protein shakes? yea ok

does these idiots understand how much of these "supplements" are in the food we eat every single day? do i need a prescription for a glass of milk or a piece of steak?
A bit of history here - this has come up from time to time from the mid 90's on. with recent changes like the ph ban and ephedra act - congress seems to feel like they have more balls on the subject now. the problem is the few people or cases you hear about in the news are the bad stories. unfortunately - i don't know why they are not hearing the good stories about supplements or learning about the benefits. so they look good looking like they are looking out for societies best interest. in this case - this is not the case.

all note - the site i provided also provides links to submit an email to our beloved President on these bills as well as your state reps. they should hear your voice as well as this fda poll on the original post.

Moose In - Moose Out

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't have a problem with that. I work in a Doctors office that knows tons about nutrition. Also the other Doctors I work with know about health on the preventive side as well so I really don't know where this information is comming from about Doctors not knowing about nutrition.

We draw blood than perscribe them what they need based on the results. As acurate as one can get. Vitamins and minerals even protein. So even with the ban we are in the safe at our office.

this has been posted on other forums

Urgent! This is not a joke or e-mail legend. If you do not act on this you may never be able to get any nutritional products again unless your doctor prescribes them. And we know two things about that:

Most, but certainly not all doctors, have virtually NO training regarding nutritional supplements.

Once the product comes from a drug company instead of a nutritional company the price skyrockets immediately.

If you have EVER bought anything (natural health product) over the counter, on line, phone, or thru a distributor the FDA is planning to put a stop to this.

Please, Please
respond to the URL listed below & help us stop the FDA-again!

There is a CRISIS in HEALTH FREEDOM!! On April 30, 2007 the FDA will close the public comment period on a 'Guidance' which will classify
EVERY alternative practice as medicine so that only licensed physicians can carry out the procedure AND vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc., will suddenly become 'untested drugs' which WILL BE FORBIDDEN!

Bad? Real Bad! But public outcry can stop this assault on your health and your freedom.

I don't normally pass these types of email around - but this one is very important. Please take a moment to read it and respond. We must protect our rights to use supplements without the involvement of the FDA. Pharmaceutical companies would like nothing more than to strip you of your rights to purchase over-the-counter supplements.

If you don't think its possible take a look north to Canada or across the ocean to Europe. You can't buy DHEA in Canada. You can't buy free form amino acids without a prescription in Europe!

Take a minute to use the link at the bottom and let the FDA know you won't sit still and have them railroad you!

Democracy In Action

Spread the word! Tell everyone in your Circle of Influence, professionals, alternative practitioners, nutrient and herb companies, everyone! Let them know how important their participation is to make sure the FDA backs off from this repressive course.

Democracy In Action

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a problem with that. I work in a Doctors office that knows tons about nutrition. Also the other Doctors I work with know about health on the preventive side as well so I really don't know where this information is comming from about Doctors not knowing about nutrition.

We draw blood than perscribe them what they need based on the results. As acurate as one can get. Vitamins and minerals even protein. So even with the ban we are in the safe at our office.

this is really an issue about personal choice and freedom to me. and from my experience - every dr. i had always said to get all my nutrition from food. only one said that i should take a b-complex - with no further oversight like what should be taken with b for absorption, etc.

we are going backwards here and the government is watching over all our decisions.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established

I have a major problem with having to get a script for protein powder.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
this is really an issue about personal choice and freedom to me. and from my experience - every dr. i had always said to get all my nutrition from food. only one said that i should take a b-complex - with no further oversight like what should be taken with b for absorption, etc.

we are going backwards here and the government is watching over all our decisions.
The Doctor I work with has a whole sluew of vitamins, minerals, fish oil etc and even few herbs in his ofice he carrys for patients.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
calm down everybody. ok, i took an urban legends class to fulfill my upper division humanity requirement in college, and this is the typical chain email hoax. there is nothing true about it whatsoever.

think about it. the supplement industry does support our economy. and how many times have we heard that all supps might be banned soon? too many times. if this was true about april 30th, dont you think retailers would be unloading inventory at rock bottom prices? use some logic and youll know this is another false rumor.

these chain emails are never accurate or even close to accurate. remember, the anthrax scare, HIV needle in mvoie seat scare, KFC rumor, etc. none of this stuff actually happens...

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
calm down everybody. ok, i took an urban legends class to fulfill my upper division humanity requirement in college, and this is the typical chain email hoax. there is nothing true about it whatsoever.

think about it. the supplement industry does support our economy. and how many times have we heard that all supps might be banned soon? too many times. if this was true about april 30th, dont you think retailers would be unloading inventory at rock bottom prices? use some logic and youll know this is another false rumor.

these chain emails are never accurate or even close to accurate. remember, the anthrax scare, HIV needle in mvoie seat scare, KFC rumor, etc. none of this stuff actually happens...
i hate to burst your bubble - but look up these bills that are on the hill right now. this is "kind of" "like" "real" right now. and remember what happened when bidden proposed the anabolic steriod act a few years back.

cubbybear

Awards
An awful lot of people could lose their jobs over this. Why couldn't they just go after the tobacco industry? Apparently people in the FDA would rather give up supplements than cigarettes or alcohol. :sick:

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
i hate to burst your bubble - but look up these bills that are on the hill right now. this is "kind of" "like" "real" right now. and remember what happened when bidden proposed the anabolic steriod act a few years back.
that concerned anabolic steroids. this is different. i am confident that no action will be taken. you can rub it in my face if im proven wrong but i doubt i am.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
that concerned anabolic steroids. this is different. i am confident that no action will be taken. you can rub it in my face if im proven wrong but i doubt i am.
let's all hope that with respects to supplements - the beast is too big for any action to result from these bills!

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
An awful lot of people could lose their jobs over this. Why couldn't they just go after the tobacco industry? Apparently people in the FDA would rather give up supplements than cigarettes or alcohol. :sick:
FDA is part of the federal government. The tobacco and alcohol industry is a MAJOR source of tax revenue for the gov. Sick and twisted though it may seem, the govt is all about the $$$ and the would never throw that away. Maybe these bills are part of all that. Maybe these polititians are realizing the untapped revenue producing potential of the vitamin and supp. industry and the only way to get their grubby little paws in the pot is by controlling it all... and leying a "supplement tax"... :think:

damn polititians

human

human

Awards
Here is the bill I dont see anything abot banning supplements
Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act (Introduced in House)

HR 3156 IH

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 3156
To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to dietary supplements.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

June 30, 2005
Mrs. DAVIS of California (for herself, Mr. WAXMAN, and Mr. DINGELL) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to dietary supplements.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act'.

SEC. 2. DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS; PRODUCT LISTING; REPORTING, POSTMARKET SURVEILLANCE, AND OTHER PROVISIONS REGARDING SAFETY.

(a) In General- Chapter IV of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 341 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following section:

`SEC. 416. DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS; PRODUCT LISTING; REPORTING, POSTMARKET SURVEILLANCE, AND OTHER PROVISIONS REGARDING SAFETY.

`(a) Limitation on Applicability- Notwithstanding the other subsections of this section, this section does not apply to any dietary supplement that meets the conditions described in paragraphs (1) and (2), as follows:

`(1) The supplement bears or contains one or more of the following dietary ingredients:

`(A) A vitamin.

`(B) A mineral.

`(C) A concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any vitamin or mineral.

`(2) The supplement does not bear or contain--

`(A) an herb or other botanical, an amino acid, or a dietary substance for use by man to supplement the diet by increasing the total dietary intake; or

`(B) a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any ingredient specified in subparagraph (A).

`(b) Product Listing- Every person who is required under section 415 to register with the Secretary with respect to manufacturing or processing a dietary supplement shall, in the form and manner prescribed by the Secretary, report to the Secretary twice each year, once during the month of June and once during the month of December, the following information:

`(1) A list of each dietary supplement manufactured or processed by the person for commercial distribution in the United States, other than dietary supplements previously included on a list reported under this subsection by the person.

`(2) The labeling for each of the dietary supplements on the list.

`(3) A listing of the major ingredients of each dietary supplement on the list (including active ingredients, as applicable), except that the Secretary may require the submission of a quantitative listing of all ingredients in such a supplement if the Secretary finds that such submission is necessary to carry out the purposes of this Act.

`(4) If, since the date the person last made a report under this subsection (or if the person has not previously made such a report, since the effective date of this section), the person has discontinued the manufacture or processing of a dietary supplement included on a list reported under this subsection by the person--

`(A) notice of such discontinuance;

`(B) the date of such discontinuance; and

`(C) the identity of such supplement.

`(5) Such other information describing the dietary supplements as the Secretary may by regulation require.

`(c) Reporting of Information on Adverse Experiences-

`(1) SERIOUS EXPERIENCES- Each person who is a manufacturer or distributor of a dietary supplement shall report to the Secretary any information received by such person on serious adverse experiences regarding the supplement. Such a report shall be submitted to the Secretary not later than 15 days after the date on which the person receives such information.

`(2) INVESTIGATION AND FOLLOW-UP- A person submitting a report under paragraph (1) on a serious adverse experience shall promptly investigate the experience, and if additional information is obtained, shall report the information to the Secretary not later than 15 days after obtaining the information. If no additional information is obtained, records of the steps taken to seek additional information shall be maintained by the person.

`(3) AUTHORITY OF SECRETARY- In addition to requirements established in this subsection, the Secretary may establish such requirements regarding the reporting of information on adverse experiences as the Secretary determines to be appropriate to protect the public health. The Secretary may establish waivers from requirements under this subsection regarding such information if the Secretary determines that compliance with the requirement involved is not necessary to protect the public health regarding such supplements.

`(4) DEFINITIONS- For purposes of this subsection:

`(A) The term `adverse experience regarding a dietary supplement' means any adverse event associated with the use of such supplement in humans, whether or not such event is considered to be related to the supplement by a person referred to in paragraph (1) who obtains the information.

`(B) The term `serious', with respect to an adverse experience regarding a dietary supplement, means an adverse experience that--

`(i) results in death; a life-threatening condition; inpatient hospitalization or prolongation of hospitalization; a persistent or significant disability or incapacity; or a congenital anomaly, birth defect, or other effect regarding pregnancy, including premature labor or low birth weight; or

`(ii) requires medical or surgical intervention to prevent one of the outcomes described in clause (i).

`(d) Postmarket Surveillance- The Secretary may by order require a manufacturer of a dietary supplement to conduct postmarket surveillance for the supplement if the Secretary determines that there is a reasonable possibility that a use or expected use of the supplement may have serious adverse health consequences.

`(e) Authority to Order Demonstration of Safety-

`(1) IN GENERAL- If the Secretary has reasonable grounds for believing that a dietary supplement may be adulterated under section 402(f)(1), the Secretary may by order require the manufacturer to demonstrate to the Secretary that the supplement is not so adulterated.

`(2) DISTRIBUTION OF PRODUCT PENDING COMPLETION OF PROCESS-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Subject to subparagraph (B), a dietary supplement may not be considered adulterated under section 402(f)(1) during the pendency of a demonstration under paragraph (1) by the manufacturer of the supplement and during the pendency of the review under paragraph (4) by the Secretary with respect to the demonstration.

`(B) IMMINENT HAZARD TO PUBLIC HEALTH OR SAFETY- This subsection does not affect the authority of the Secretary under section 402(f)(1)(C).

`(3) TIMEFRAME FOR DEMONSTRATION-

`(A) IN GENERAL- An order under paragraph (1) shall provide that the demonstration under such paragraph by a manufacturer is required to be completed not later than the expiration of 180 days after the date on which the order is issued, except that the Secretary may extend such period if the Secretary determines that an extension is appropriate. Any information submitted for such purpose by the manufacturer after the expiration of the applicable period under the preceding sentence may not be considered by the Secretary, except to the extent that the Secretary requests the manufacturer to provide additional information after such period.

`(B) COMPLETION DATE OF DEMONSTRATION- A demonstration under paragraph (1) shall be considered complete on the expiration of the applicable period under subparagraph (A), or on such earlier date as the manufacturer informs the Secretary that the manufacturer has completed the demonstration, or on such earlier date as the Secretary reasonably concludes that the manufacturer has no further information to provide to the Secretary as part of the demonstration or that the manufacturer is not in substantial compliance with the order under paragraph (1).

`(4) REVIEW BY SECRETARY- Once a demonstration under paragraph (1) by a manufacturer is completed, the Secretary shall review all relevant information received by the Secretary pursuant to the demonstration or otherwise available to the Secretary and make a determination of whether the Secretary considers the dietary supplement involved to be adulterated under section 402(f)(1). Such determination shall be made not later than 180 days after the completion of the demonstration.

`(5) REQUIREMENTS REGARDING DEMONSTRATIONS- The Secretary may, by order or by regulation, establish requirements for demonstrations under paragraph (1).

`(6) RELATION TO OTHER PROCEDURES- In the case of a dietary supplement with respect to which the Secretary has not issued an order under paragraph (1), this subsection may not be construed as preventing the Secretary from acting pursuant to section 402(f)(1) to the same extent and in the same manner as would apply in the absence of this subsection. In the case of a dietary supplement with respect to which the Secretary has issued an order under paragraph (1), a determination under paragraph (4) that the supplement is not adulterated under section 402(f)(1) does not prevent the Secretary from making a determination, on the basis of additional information obtained by the Secretary, that the supplement is so adulterated.

`(f) Sales to Minors; Significant Risk-

`(1) CRITERIA- Not later than the expiration of the two-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of the Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act, the Secretary shall by regulation establish criteria for making a determination that a dietary supplement may pose a significant risk to individuals who are under the age of 18 (referred to in this section individually as a `minor').

`(2) PRODUCT DETERMINATION; PROHIBITED ACT- The Secretary may, by order or by regulation, make a determination described in paragraph (1) with respect to a dietary supplement. Effective upon the expiration of a period designated by the Secretary in publishing such determination in the Federal Register, the act of selling the dietary supplement to a minor shall be deemed to be an act which results in such supplement being misbranded while held for sale. During the two-year period referred to in paragraph (1), an order making such a determination may be issued notwithstanding that criteria have not yet been established in accordance with such paragraph.

`(g) Recordkeeping on Safety Issues-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall by regulation require manufacturers of dietary supplements to maintain records regarding reports of serious adverse experiences under subsection (c) and records regarding compliance with section 402.

`(2) RETENTION PERIOD- Regulations under paragraph (1) shall specify the number of years for which records required in such paragraph are required to be retained, except that, if under section 402(g)(1) the Secretary makes a determination that expiration date labeling is necessary for dietary supplements, records regarding dietary supplements in a lot shall be retained for not less than one year after the expiration date of supplements in the lot.'.

(b) Prohibited Acts-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 301 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 331) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(hh) The failure of a person to comply with any requirement under section 416, other than an order under subsection (e)(1) of such section.'.

(2) ADULTERATED DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS-

(A) ORDER REGARDING DEMONSTRATION OF SAFETY- Section 402 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 342) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(i) If it is a dietary supplement and the manufacturer of the supplement fails to comply with an order of the Secretary under section 416(e)(1) that is issued with respect to the supplement.'.

(B) CERTAIN COURT PROCEDURES; DETERMINATION OF UNREASONABLE RISK- Section 402(f) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 342(f)) is amended--

(i) in subparagraph (1), by striking the matter after and below clause (D) of such subparagraph; and

(ii) by adding at the end the following subparagraph:

`(3)(A) For purposes of clause (A) or (B) of subparagraph (1), the Secretary shall consider a dietary supplement or dietary ingredient as presenting an unreasonable risk of illness or injury if the Secretary determines that the risks of such product outweighs its benefits, as indicated by a relative weighing of the known and reasonably likely risks of the product against its known and reasonably likely benefits. In the absence of a sufficient benefit, the presence of even a relatively small risk of a serious adverse health effect to a user may be considered by the Secretary as unreasonable.

`(B) A determination by the Secretary under clause (A) with respect to the risk of a product may be made on the basis of any science-based evidence of risk, without the need to prove that the substance has actually caused harm in particular cases. The Secretary shall consider any relevant evidence including but not limited to scientific data about the toxicological properties of a dietary ingredient or its mechanism of action; known effects of pharmacologically related compounds, including those regulated as drugs; the results of clinical studies, including observational studies; and adverse event reports.

`(C) A determination that a product presents an unreasonable risk may be made under clause (A) by the Secretary even though there are uncertainties as to the levels of a dietary ingredient that may present a risk.'.

(3) TRADE SECRETS- Section 301(j) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 331(j)) is amended by inserting `416,' after `414,'.

(c) Inspection Authority- Section 704(a) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 374(a)) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1), by inserting after the second sentence the following: `In the case of any person who manufactures, processes, packs, transports, distributes, holds, or imports a dietary supplement with respect to which an order under section 416(e)(1) has been issued, the inspection shall extend to all records, files, papers, processes, controls, and facilities bearing on whether the dietary supplement is adulterated under section 402(f)(1).'; and

(2) in paragraph (2), in the matter preceding subparagraph (A), by striking `third sentence' and inserting `fourth sentence'.

SEC. 3. EDUCATION PROGRAMS REGARDING DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS.

(a) Health Care Professionals-

(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary of Health and Human Services (referred to in this section as the `Secretary'), acting through the Commissioner of Food and Drugs, shall carry out a program to educate health professionals on the importance of reporting to the Food and Drug Administration adverse health experiences that are associated with dietary supplements.

(2) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- For the purpose of carrying out paragraph (1), there is authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for fiscal year 2006, in addition to any other authorization of appropriations that is available with respect to such purpose.

(b) Consumers-

(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary, acting through the Commissioner of Food and Drugs, shall carry out a program to educate consumers of dietary supplements on the importance of informing their health professionals of the dietary supplements and drugs the consumers are taking.

(2) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- For the purpose of carrying out paragraph (1), there is authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for fiscal year 2006, in addition to any other authorization of appropriations that is available with respect to such purpose.

Last edited:
AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
Here is the bill I dont see anything abot banning supplements
Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act (Introduced in House)
The Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act (H.R. 3156), introduced by Representatives Davis (D-CA), Waxman (D-CA), and Dingell (D-MI), this month, would place trusted vitamins, minerals, and herbs under unprecedented and unwarranted scrutiny.

The legislation would:

Require adverse event reports to be turned over to the FDA, even though other foods - including those with identical ingredients - do not have the same requirements

Order supplement companies to demonstrate that a vitamin or mineral is not adulterated - in other words, disproving a negative

Allow the Health and Human Services Secretary to declare that a supplement presents an unreasonable risk to the public, even if he/she cannot prove that the substance has actually caused harm in particular cases.
If H.R. 3156 becomes law, 70 percent of dietary supplements currently on the market would become subject to burdensome new regulations - some equivalent to those required for prescription drugs - driving up supplement prices for everyone and forcing well known dietary supplements to disappear from store shelves. Review our position paper. Check current bill status. Take action to tell your elected officials to oppose H.R. 3156.

this means under this scrutiny, supplements may be taken off the market by any manufacturer by fda discretion at any time. additionally, many new supplements that are not food or organic based may never make it to FDA approval - meaning they will never end up on the shelves.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established

The legislation would:

this means under this scrutiny, supplements may be taken off the market by any manufacturer by fda discretion at any time.
Whay do ya know... all democrats. I'm not surprised

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
my point is that your dr is rare.
That is why I am trying to educate doctors to get in to preventive medcine but most are not receptive.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We carry few stuff that is OK'ed by Dr. Bortz. If you are in the area of San Diego Cali stop by my office and you can get stuff with a OK from our office if that is of any help.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
guys you have to understand that a doctor isnt going to proscribe you protein shakes or fat burners or anything youll find at gnc or vitamin shoppe for that matter.

you dont NEED 300 grams of protein a day. going to the gym and being healthy and taking supplements is not going to be considered HEALTHY to a doctor.

they want you to do 15 minutes of exercise a day and eat healthy foods low in cholesterol and sit around and pound down prescription medications for the pharma companies all day.

try to find a doctor to proscribe you creatine, i challenge you. they are not going to stick their neck out on the line so you can get what you need for bodybuilding.

no doctor is going to give you anything that isnt rock solid with 50 years of studies and 300% safety ratings. if this passes, kiss everythin but steroids goodbye.