*THE Beta-Alanine, Carnosine Thread, Brought to you by ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION*

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. So this must mean Athletic Edge has a Beta Alanine supp coming out?

2. Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    So this must mean Athletic Edge has a Beta Alanine supp coming out?
    Yeah dude its here now at the planet called IntraXcell

IntraXcell (180 caps) By Athletic Edge

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 3 capsules
    Servings per Container: 60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol Acetate) 15 IU
    50%
    2XCell Blendô:
    -(Beta-Alanine (2g), N-Acetyl L-Cysteine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid) 2,201mg **

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    ** Percent Daily Values not established.

INGREDIENTS: Gelatin, cellulose, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, FD&C blue #2.
    •   

3. Would that be comparable to Incarnate?

4. Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    So this must mean Athletic Edge has a Beta Alanine supp coming out?

No, we have had our Beta-Alanine supplement IntraXCell out for over a year now. We have many IntraXCell/Beta-Alanine threads on many forums, but we thought we would do something different with this one. This thread is specific to the science of Beta-Alanine and separate from our product. It's intended for people to have a place to go and learn about Beta-Alanine.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Athletic Edge N View Post
    No, we have had our Beta-Alanine supplement IntraXCell out for over a year now. We have many IntraXCell/Beta-Alanine threads on many forums, but we thought we would do something different with this one. This thread is specific to the science of Beta-Alanine and separate from our product. It's intended for people to have a place to go and learn about Beta-Alanine.
    Oh my bad bro. I'm trying to keep up with all the supps!
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    Oh my bad bro. I'm trying to keep up with all the supps!
    LOL, I hear you, it can get pretty overwhelming at times.

IntraXCell was the first capsule Beta-Alanine product in the world.
    It was actually the first dedicated Beta-Alanine product out there,that didn't use a handful of other ingredients along with the Beta-Alanine, such CM or creatine.

BTW, if you have a chance, check out our five page Beta-Alanine article in this months issue of Muscular Development.

7. How long will it take to start noticing benefits?

Performance benefits typically occur in as little as two weeks, although some individuals will notice benefits within one week. As carnosine levels increase, the benefits will follow. The most dramatic results are generally experienced within the 3-4 week range but they donít stop there. Recent research is now showing carnosine levels continue to increase for a minimum of 12 weeks which is why we recommend staying on Beta-Alanine for at least three months to optimize your carnosine levels.

Immediate benefits: Many users experience intense vasodilation/pumps from the very first dose of Beta-Alanine. This experience occurs because Beta-Alanine increases carnosine and carnosine is a powerful precursor in generating nitric oxide synthase (a group of enzymes necessary for making the powerful vasodilator nitric oxide).

8. Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    Would that be comparable to Incarnate?
    Nothing compares to IntraXcell it is the best BA capped product on the market.
    Diet and Nutrition Advisor

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mickfootie View Post
    Nothing compares to IntraXcell it is the best BA capped product on the market.
    :bruce2:

10. Quote Originally Posted by Athletic Edge N View Post
    How long will it take to start noticing benefits?

Performance benefits typically occur in as little as two weeks, although some individuals will notice benefits within one week. As carnosine levels increase, the benefits will follow. The most dramatic results are generally experienced within the 3-4 week range but they don’t stop there. Recent research is now showing carnosine levels continue to increase for a minimum of 12 weeks which is why we recommend staying on Beta-Alanine for at least three months to optimize your carnosine levels.

Immediate benefits: Many users experience intense vasodilation/pumps from the very first dose of Beta-Alanine. This experience occurs because Beta-Alanine increases carnosine and carnosine is a powerful precursor in generating nitric oxide synthase (a group of enzymes necessary for making the powerful vasodilator nitric oxide).
    I almost accussed BA of being a contributor to my high BP, until I read vasodilation. I looked it up, nitric oxide is my friend. I'm going to buy a case of this stuff.

Spiraling high blood pressure linked to nitric oxide deficiency

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mach .78 View Post
    I almost accussed BA of being a contributor to my high BP, until I read vasodilation. I looked it up, nitric oxide is my friend. I'm going to buy a case of this stuff.

Spiraling high blood pressure linked to nitric oxide deficiency

Much like creatine, there are MANY legit health/medical applications for Beta-Alanine that go far and beyond exercise performance.

It's one of the best ingredients you could take for general health, regardless of the exercise performance benefits. We focus on the exercise performance benefits, as that alone is a huge topic that still isn't well understood by many and is most relevant to the the forum crowds we interact with. Other topics on beta-alanine and carnosine that are particularly impressive are on neuroprotection, neurodegenerative diseses, autism..ect.ect

12. Are there any methods that may increase beta-alanine’s ability to increase carnosine levels?

Yes. A recent study showed that a group of subjects taking Beta-Alanine with carbohydrates increased performance gains in half the time of the group taking an equal amount of beta-alanine without carbohydrates. Carbohydrates spike insulin and one of insulin’s effects is to increase amino acid (such as beta-alanine) transport into our cells.
    While not research supported as of yet, taking Beta-Alanine pre-workout and post-workout may increase the uptake of Beta-Alanine into our muscles. Amino acid nutrient timing studies have clearly shown, when amino acids are ingested Pre-Workout and Post-Workout, their rate of uptake into our muscle is increased. The improved uptake is largely due to increased blood flow during exercise.

13. What is the prickling I feel when I first take Beta-Alanine?

The prickling - called parathesia - is caused by beta-alanine binding to nerve receptors, activating them and causing them to discharge/fire. Many of these nerves are below the skin, giving a prickling/pins-and-needles sensation. This sensation begins approximately 15-20 minutes after ingesting beta-alanine and usually continues for 1-1.5 hours. The intensity varies depending on dosing, individual sensitivity and potentially from activators of Ca2+ channels, such as caffeine. This sensation, though generally enjoyed, often subsides over a few weeks of continued use. Carbohydrates/food may also blunt the prickling effect from beta-alanine.

14. If I donít feel the prickling does that mean beta alanine isnít working on me?

The prickling sensation does not occur at all in some individuals, even when taking 4-6 grams of beta-alanine at one time. Do not worry if you are in this group. The prickling is NOT a sign that beta-alanine is working or being absorbed by your muscles and converted to carnosine. If you are feeling nothing, you need not be concerned as it is still increasing your carnosine stores as research has repeatedly shown.

A good example of this phenomenon is when combining carbohydrates with beta-alanine. Not only do carbohydrates blunt much of the prickling sensations, they also increase beta-alanine's performance gains faster than beta-alanine without carbohydrates.

Another good example is comparing studies that measure carnosine concentrations using multiple small 800 mg doses of beta-alanine vs. studies using multiple doses of 1.6 g of beta-alanine. The total daily amount of beta-alanine ingested is similar and the duration of the studies using both dosage strategies is matched up as well. 800 mg is low enough to cause little to no prickling, based off feedback from both research and anecdotal, where as 1.6 g can cause quite a lot. The outcome of both studies showed carnosine concentrations were very similar.

We have an exciting announcement on Monday.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Athletic Edge N View Post
    LOL, I hear you, it can get pretty overwhelming at times.

IntraXCell was the first capsule Beta-Alanine product in the world.
    It was actually the first dedicated Beta-Alanine product out there,that didn't use a handful of other ingredients along with the Beta-Alanine, such CM or creatine.

BTW, if you have a chance, check out our five page Beta-Alanine article in this months issue of Muscular Development.
    I just read this article last night in MD now i come on here and see this..............it must be love.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    I just read this article last night in MD now i come on here and see this..............it must be love.
    What did you think of it?

17. Good article, very informative. I'll most likely give your product a try in the next month or two when i finish using my current stash of creatyine.

I'm in London by the way.

18. Is taking taurine at the same time as beta-alanine going to stop beta-alanine from boosting carnosine and performance levels?

While there is certainly potential for problems when taking these two together (they share the same transporter into tissues), it hasnít yet been supported in the research to any level of significance. In fact, a recent study by Dr. Harris, showed that the increase in muscle carnosine with beta-alanine was NOT reduced when taurine was taken along with it. Also, everyone bare in mind, CARN is concentrated much higher in Type 2 muscle fibers, while taurine is in much higher concentrations in Type 1. further limiting their competition issues related to muscle performance.

We could get into the biochemistry of why taking taurine with beta-alanine may not seem like a good idea but we have a more simple and conclusive explanation just in case you wanted more proof to support Dr. Harrisís study. Since there is a group of studies that used either beta-alanine by itself or beta-alanine with taurine, we examined them to determine if there were any differences in the resulting carnosine concentrations. While more research is always needed, there are quite a few beta-alanine vs. beta-alanine plus taurine studies, and their outcomes are all the same. There is little to no difference in carnosine concentrations. In other words, taurine does not inhibit beta-alanine from being absorbed to any level of significance, otherwise carnosine levels would have been lower in the beta-alanine plus taurine studies.

That concludes our summary, please feel free to jump in with any questions. We will continuously update this thread as more research and information comes out on Beta-Alanine

19. Exclamation

Rationale for taking beta-alanine pre&postWO timing.

While, we have explained within this thread and others, why we suggest to take advantage of the pre&postWO windows on training days whenever possible. Here is a more detailed explanation from a post of mine in a recent thread, as many are giving advice that there is no reason/benefit in taking beta-alanine, pre&postWO. They are wrong.

We do not suggest pre&postWO beta-alanine ingestion for acute performance benefits, but for the purpose of increased delivery and increased intramuscular uptake. That's not to say, there aren't possible acute benefits from pre&postWO timing of BA, but at this time there is no support one way or the other. There is however amino acid pre&postWO nutrient timing studies, that can be used as support for the rationale of suggesting BA taken pre&postWO.

The reasoning on why we have always suggested taking BA, Pre&PostWO, is actually very simple and it should make sense to anyone familiar with nutrient timing amino acid or creatine studies. In a nutshell, our body's greatly increase the delivery and uptake of amino acids/creatine ect, when taken Pre/PostWO, largely due to exercise induced increased blood flow . Beta-Alanine is an amino acid and its rate of uptake is HIGHLY likely to be increased when taken pre/postWO. We will likely also see some other benefits when taking BA pre/post, but that's for another time.

You don't have to take beta-alanine, pre/postWO(especially if you find the prickling bothersome during your workout) and the most important thing is to take it everyday, regardless of timing. But when ever possible, we will always suggest, you take advantage of the pre&postWO windows of opportunity for increased BA uptake and reap the benefits from BA as fast as possible.

We have also, always recommended BA be taken with carbs when ever possible for both uptake reasons as well as blunting the prickling sensation if you find it bothersome. The reason is, a beta-alanine study, comparing beta-alanine to beta-alanine+carbs, showed the group using Beta-alanine+carbs, had equivalent performance gains in HALF the time as the beta-alanine only group in the first month. This quite significant, especially for someone looking to get the benefits from beta-alanine as fast as possible.

Neither of these recommendations are musts, but taking advantage of the combination, should greatly increase BA uptake and bring on the performance benefits much faster, especially in the first month.

None of us, have to take advantage of nutrient timing science, be it with creatine,beta-alanine, protein/carb shakes ect. But if you are looking to maximize most of your supplements absorption and get the positive effects as fast as possible, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to take advantage of these windows of opportunity.
  20. Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Just a heads up, we will have TWO more articles in the next issue of MD, that should be hitting the newstands any day now. It will be the issue with Dennis Wolf on the cover.

One article is about pre-workout nutrition, related to central fatigue. The other is.....wait for it, you're never going to guess. Beta-Alanine!!

It's a pretty cool article, as it has a section that specifically speak about the study done on our beta-alanine product, IntraXCell.
  21. Exclamation

We are pleased to announce, two more articles from us are in the September issue of Muscular Development on newsstands NOW! I have scanned just the first page of our beta-alanine article and as usual will post the full articles once the issue is off the newsstands.

Thank you for your support and keep an eye out for more articles from us in other major bb/fitness magazine throughout the course of this year.

22. I figured I would show another page of our three page beta-alanine article, where it briefly mentions the IntraXCell study. Expect to see quite a bit more press on this study.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Athletic Edge N View Post

Is Beta-Alanine safe?

While this is not a frequently asked question, it should be. We understand many people care most about gaining muscle, looking great and performing at their best but safety should not be overlooked. We believe it should actually be the first question asked when considering a new supplement, even before you question efficacy.

The answer to the safety question is a resounding YES. Studies, going up to 12 weeks of continued Beta-Alanine use, have looked at a large array of blood biochemical, hematological and hormonal markers and no negative changes have occurred whatsoever. While it is impossible to say Beta-Alanine is one hundred percent safe until longer term studies are complete, we do know that up to 12 weeks of continued Beta-Alanine supplementation is indeed safe.
    AEN-
    Have you (or any other subscribers) any information on the occurance of allergys with supplementation of BA? I have never had a serious allergy until this week. Had a serious skin rash that started in my feet and moved up from there. There was swelling, burning, itchy, red bumps (like hives). Couldn't walk too well for 4 days. The doc has me on an anti-histime and cortisone cream to get things back to normal. Given BA increases histidine which is the source for histimine, I now wonder if there is a cause and effect with the supplemention and the allergy I am experiencing. I started supplementing BA 3 only weeks ago at 6-8 gms per day divided in two doses pre and post workout. No other changes in diet or anything else I can think of that may have triggered the allergy.

Any comments or experiences on the subject would be appreciated.
    Thanks

24. Quote Originally Posted by steve777 View Post
    AEN-
    Have you (or any other subscribers) any information on the occurance of allergys with supplementation of BA? I have never had a serious allergy until this week. Had a serious skin rash that started in my feet and moved up from there. There was swelling, burning, itchy, red bumps (like hives). Couldn't walk too well for 4 days. The doc has me on an anti-histime and cortisone cream to get things back to normal. Given BA increases histidine which is the source for histimine, I now wonder if there is a cause and effect with the supplemention and the allergy I am experiencing. I started supplementing BA 3 only weeks ago at 6-8 gms per day divided in two doses pre and post workout. No other changes in diet or anything else I can think of that may have triggered the allergy.

Any comments or experiences on the subject would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    A very good/interesting question and one I have thought about for quite some time. Here is some information that may help you make your own decision. Remember, this information in NO way is carved in stone and MUCH more research is needed to draw an accurate conclusion. Please do NOT take this post as medical advice.

Let me start by saying, there is no data to support that ba could cuase an allergy but I could see their being a chance is could potentiate an underlying or current allergy. Mainly this could occur through beta-alanine possibly increasing histamine release, predominantly through two ways. 1. Its ability to activate nerves that release histamine 2. Beta-alanine's ability to boost carnosine. When carnosine is broken down into beta-alanine and histidine, the histidine component can then be further broken down into histamine.

On the other side, beta-alanine can combine with histamine to form a carnosine analog called carcinine and lesson the activity of histamine(a good thing).

Since you asked and for what it's is worth. There has been NO anecdotal feedback with people telling us they have had a problem of this nature, since IntraXCell was launched back in 2006.

Lastly, if you decide to stay on ba, I would lower your dose into the 4-5g range max, as the highest dose used in the research is 6.4g's. And it's very obvious when looking at ending carnosine concentrations, even going this high only increases carnosine concentrations faster in the first month than 3.2g and just barley more so then the 4-5g range. By month 2-3 and onward, no difference when compared to the 4-5g range. We suggest people look at the 6.4g dose as a OPTIONAL 2 week loading phase, not as a optimal maintenance dose beyond the first month.

I will continue to look further for more information, but for now, all I can say is, I wouldn't rule out the potential that beta-alanine could aggravate individuals with existing allergies.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Athletic Edge N View Post
    A very good/interesting question and one I have thought about for quite some time. Here is some information that may help you make your own decision. Remember, this information in NO way is carved in stone and MUCH more research is needed to draw an accurate conclusion. Please do NOT take this post as medical advice.

Let me start by saying, there is no data to support that ba could cuase an allergy but I could see their being a chance is could potentiate an underlying or current allergy. Mainly this could occur through beta-alanine possibly increasing histamine release, predominantly through two ways. 1. Its ability to activate nerves that release histamine 2. Beta-alanine's ability to boost carnosine. When carnosine is broken down into beta-alanine and histidine, the histidine component can then be further broken down into histamine.

On the other side, beta-alanine can combine with histamine to form a carnosine analog called carcinine and lesson the activity of histamine(a good thing).

Since you asked and for what it's is worth. There has been NO anecdotal feedback with people telling us they have had a problem of this nature, since IntraXCell was launched back in 2006.

Lastly, if you decide to stay on ba, I would lower your dose into the 4-5g range max, as the highest dose used in the research is 6.4g's. And it's very obvious when looking at ending carnosine concentrations, even going this high only increases carnosine concentrations faster in the first month than 3.2g and just barley more so then the 4-5g range. By month 2-3 and onward, no difference when compared to the 4-5g range. We suggest people look at the 6.4g dose as a OPTIONAL 2 week loading phase, not as a optimal maintenance dose beyond the first month.

I will continue to look further for more information, but for now, all I can say is, I wouldn't rule out the potential that beta-alanine could aggravate individuals with existing allergies.
    I will be getting some allergy testing done and will bring the BA question up with the doc at the time. Maybe BA can be tested for. Hopefully the allergy was caused by something else. Did seem to be having some strength/endurance gains from BA supplementation during the short time I was on it. If I do get back on it, it will be at the lower dose.

26. Excellent thread. I've got some BA on the way. Not yours but just some bulk stuff. I'm looking forward to trying it out along with citrulline malate. It's probably going to taste nasty but that's why I have a capping machine

27. Beta-Alanine in bulk is flavourless, atleast what I have. Also cit. malate doesn't taste too bad

28. can beta alaine be taken with turine,creatine and Citrulline Malate at same time?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. PNI Prodigy a new pre workout log brought to you by me !
    By roblasane in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
  4. Today's Review Brought to You by the Letter O-E-P
    By Resolve in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 01:02 PM
  5. Replies: 110