Alleged protein price increase?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sorry if this has already been discussed, I am in the process of moving and don't get on here as often as I'd like to lately.

Did anyone receive the email from a certain site (which will go unnamed) with this announcement, and does anyone know the story behind it:

To our valued customers,

This is a special announcement to let you know that due to cost increases and supply issues with whey protein, all major manufacturers and suppliers will shortly be raising their prices on whey protein products. Unfortunately, our costs are going to go up dramatically and we will need to raise our prices somewhat in order to offset these additional costs. Again, this increase in whey protein pricing is industry wide and completely out of our hands.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can back you up with that. I went to expo west and over 70% of the companys that sell dairy i.e whey and milk protein said there raw matrials for it has gone up in cost.
But a major company that sells more than enough will keep the cost the same and take the pennys hit. I know a few companys that are keeping there price.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I am in the process of moving and don't get on here as often as I'd like to lately.

Did anyone receive the email from a certain site (which will go unnamed) with this announcement, and does anyone know the story behind it:

To our valued customers,

This is a special announcement to let you know that due to cost increases and supply issues with whey protein, all major manufacturers and suppliers will shortly be raising their prices on whey protein products. Unfortunately, our costs are going to go up dramatically and we will need to raise our prices somewhat in order to offset these additional costs. Again, this increase in whey protein pricing is industry wide and completely out of our hands.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It really was only a matter of time before the industry could not keep up with demands. Think about how many whey products that you have seen come out in the past year, let alone the past 5.

evoVIII

evoVIII

Awards
Can any of the companies on this board verify this piece of news?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I have heard back a number of months ago that the demand was increased considerably and one of the major manufacturers actually changed their equipment over to producing something other than what we all usually eat in our whey protein.

Well then just the other day I have heard that a lack of rain in a few cattle heavy countries have caused even more of a shortage.

I don't believe it is a ruse to increase prices as I have seen some suppliers flat out say they would LOVE to sell some whey protein but even if they were offered double the price they just do not have enough to fill their contracts let alone begin selling to new customers.

We shall see how this all shakes out. I have seen some companies say they will NOT raise prices, it will be interesting to see what happens in 4 or 5 months.

If I say we will be raising our prices you may run out and purchase our protein from resellers and I don't want to do that. We will see what happens and hope for the best.

CROWLER

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
My distributor just said the same thing yesterday when I went to order Designer Whey. He mentioned something about China being in the middle of it. All the protein will be coming from there now...something like that, don't quote me.

bluecollar

bluecollar

Awards
the owner of an independent supp. store in santa barbara ca. told me an increase is on its whey$$$$$$

evoVIII

evoVIII

Awards
I just read an article after I googled it.

ABC News: Milk Prices Expected to Rise 9 Percent

9% increase in milk prices, doesn't seem to be that big of an increase. If protein went up 10%, it's not that noticeable. 2ndly, the price fluctuates like all market commodities. Maybe it's that ethanol push, which i'm not a fan of since it's carbon neutral.

As Crowler has mentioned, I think some companies are jumping the gun to justify price increases. They could have easily just quietly increased it by 10%.

I was wondering why AI's Isolate wasn't part of Nutra's sale.

C

cubbybear

Awards
I also recieved the email notices from a couple of places who said they would not be raising their prices before May 1st. So then I clicked on the links to check it out and found that their prices had already been significantly raised. That disappoints me, shame on them...:nono:

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The company I am getting my protein from for now and at least 1 year will keep there cost of protein the same. If it goes up any further they are goign to take the hit vs us the consumer. So I have nothing to worry about.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sounds like I need to do some hunting. I'll get my protein with a shotgun.