Niacin can be toxic when used to 'beat' drug test

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Niacin can be toxic when used to 'beat' drug test - CNN.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- People who take niacin pills to help them pass a urine drug test may not only fail the test, but also land themselves in the emergency room, according to doctors.

Writing in the Annals of Emergency Medicine, doctors at the University of Pennsylvania describe four individuals who used high doses of niacin to try to beat their impending drug screening tests. Urban legend holds that the B vitamin helps quickly flush drugs from the body.

However, the tactic not only doesn't work, but can also cause life-threatening side effects, according to Dr. Manoj K. Mittal, the lead author of the case reports.

Of the four patients who arrived at his emergency room after a self-prescribed niacin regimen, two developed severe reactions, including liver toxicity, heart palpitations and metabolic acidosis -- a potentially deadly buildup of acid in the blood.

"The main message from my study for people hoping to beat drug tests is that not only is niacin ineffective at this, but that it is actually dangerous and potentially life-threatening when taken in large amounts," Mittal told Reuters Health.

Niacin, or vitamin B3, is a needed nutrient, and it's commonly prescribed to help treat high cholesterol. But niacin has also gained a reputation as a way to beat urine drug tests.

The vitamin aids in the metabolism of food, and this seems to have led to the assumption that niacin speeds metabolism and the body's clearance of illegal drugs, Mittal explained. On top of that, one of the common side effects of niacin is flushing, or reddening of the skin.

"It seems that the word 'flushing' has been taken out of context and people have started to believe that it 'flushes' the drugs from the body," Mittal said.

Two of the patients he and his colleagues describe suffered only skin reactions after taking high doses of niacin ahead of their workplace drug tests. The other two had more serious reactions, arriving at the emergency room after hours of nausea, dizziness and vomiting. One had elevated liver enzymes, a sign of liver injury.

Though this problem is usually reversed when a person stops taking niacin, high doses of the vitamin have been known to spur acute liver failure in rare cases, Mittal and his colleagues note.

The recommended daily intake of niacin is about 15 milligrams for adults. But the vitamin is readily available in health food stores in doses of anywhere from 50 mg to 1,000 mg, Mittal pointed out.

"This illustrates the ease with which very large doses of niacin can be consumed," he said.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'd like to know how much actually designates a "very large" dose.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
This is what Wikipedia has to say. I have no idea if this is correct or not...

"Deficiency and overdose

Severe lack of niacin causes the deficiency disease pellagra, whereas a mild deficiency slows down the metabolism decreasing cold tolerance.

Niacin can have life-threatening acute toxic reactions[3]. One patient suffered vomiting after taking eleven 500-milligram niacin tablets over 36 hours, and another was unresponsive for several minutes after taking five 500-milligram tablets over two days.[4] Extremely high doses of niacin can cause niacin maculopathy, a thickening of the macula and retina which leads to blurred vision and blindness.[5]

The recommended daily allowance of niacin is 2-12 mg a day for children, 14 mg a day for women, 16 mg a day for men, and 18 mg a day for pregnant or breast-feeding women.[6]

Over 20 mg per day may cause flushing of the skin, lasting 15-30 minutes in duration, along with a strange itching sensation and a reddening of the skin. It may cause headache or nausea. This is normal[citation needed] in first-time users and is caused by the cells of the body releasing histamine, which results in vasodilation.[citation needed] Once the body becomes used to the larger dose (usually over a period of days), these side effects will lessen or cease. Taking aspirin half an hour before the niacin will generally lessen the adverse effects.[citation needed] Taking high doses of niacin may cause liver damage, particularly with slow-release formulations. High-dose niacin may also elevate blood sugar, thereby worsening diabetes mellitus. Hyperuricemia is another side effect of taking high-dose niacin; as such, it may worsen gout[citation needed]."

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
wow... makes you wonder if you should take the stuff at all!

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I used to do that sh!t when I was like 17. Not fun.:sick:

Large doses like 2g + (not time released). Don't act like ya'll weren't young and stupid once... :hammer:

thetimbomb

Awards
well if one cant use niacin to pass a drug test, any other suggestions (apart from quitting, thanks.)

p951

p951

Awards
Uh, I have a suggestion. Why don't you quit smoking weed and using recreational drugs and go to school and get a degree so you can make some money for your future wives and children. Or I suppose you can" Just keep doing what you been doing" Have fun on welfare. My share has already been paid.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Uh, I have a suggestion. Why don't you quit smoking weed and using recreational drugs and go to school and get a degree so you can make some money for your future wives and children. Or I suppose you can" Just keep doing what you been doing" Have fun on welfare. My share has already been paid.
Hey I know allot of people who aren't on welfare that have smoked weed and still do? Not sure what your comment was suppost to imply but not everyone that smokes pot or uses any recreational drugs is a complete loser/idiot.

p951

p951

Awards
True, but if a person can't take off the 30 or so days needed to flush THC out of the body, inorder to procure a job, then that person needs to reevaluate his/her actions.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well that was a fun little detour, but now back to the Niacin.

Is there any consensus on TOO MUCH niacin? I'd be interested to hear what Workin knows about this.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
True, but if a person can't take off the 30 or so days needed to flush THC out of the body, inorder to procure a job, then that person needs to reevaluate his/her actions.
agreed

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know how to get Workin's attention to this thread! POSEIDON! POSEIDON! POSEIDON! Watch him fly to this thread like flys on.....

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
This is off the beating drug test topic but I was asking about this with Dinoiii from the DA forum. We talking about it for PCT and all he said not to go over 1g 500-800mg would be the best. My B-complex has 100mg per serving was one reason I was asking too. But I want to say def don't take over 5g don't quote me on this, I will double check for sure.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
bull shlt. i have used niacin to beat a drug test and i know others that have as well.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
workin, any thoughts?
The dosage of niacin normally used in clinical context to treat dyslipidemia has hovered around 1000mg-3000mg in conjuction with the normal statin therapy in most of the literature. No known adverse sides with taking this large a dose has ever been noted, aside from the huge flush response and gastrointestinal upset. It's important to note however that this has all been studied with nicotinic acid(straight instantaneous niacin) thus the flush response. So to say what the toxic dose is, I'd say it's pretty huge especially considering the post rivet made in which the individual took upwards of 5500mg of niacin. Remeber that with anything the dose makes the poison.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Sorry I'm chiming in on this so late guys. I have been on the road and unable to "search" through these threads as carefully as I usually do. TheMyth...thanks for typing "Poseidon", lol! Made it much easier. :)

The toxic level of Niacin depends on what study your looking at. Many people take up to 5,000 mgs per for therapeutic reasons...mainly high blood pressure. While I certainly don't recommend this, I can tell you that taking Poseidon, even at a max dose of 6 servings per day (providing 450 mgs of total niacin), obviously comes no where near that level...and not even close to being toxic.

Hope that helps, and again, sorry for the late response! :)

Workin

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I'm chiming in on this so late guys. I have been on the road and unable to "search" through these threads as carefully as I usually do. TheMyth...thanks for typing "Poseidon", lol! Made it much easier. :)

The toxic level of Niacin depends on what study your looking at. Many people take up to 5,000 mgs per for therapeutic reasons...mainly high blood pressure. While I certainly don't recommend this, I can tell you that taking Poseidon, even at a max dose of 6 servings per day (providing 450 mgs of total niacin), obviously comes no where near that level...and not even close to being toxic.

Hope that helps, and again, sorry for the late response! :)

Workin

Here's what I've run across on a site by a cardiologist. The doc claims that some people, as in less than 1 in a hundred build up toxic levels at even 500 mg per day -- over a period of months. Time-released niacin is somewhat less toxic than regular niacin, and perscription grade niacin is even less toxic. Cardiologist sometimes give presciptions for up to 2.5 - 3 grams a day of niacin, but they monitor the people using it with blood tests regularly.

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
This still begs the question.... How much did these guys in the article take and how much does it take to cover up the THC in the blood? Dynomite how much did you take?