Best supplements for social anxiety?

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Honestly the drug route is very unproven as brain science is very shaky when dealin with matters of neuro psychology. My father did neurosciene research at princeton(PHD Level, worked under one of the pioneers, and is published himself) and he has always told me they just only know so much. don't let people convince you that sciecne has mastered neuropsycholgy, I assure you they havent

good luck btw and it's always good to remember nobody's starin at you they're to busy worrying about their own miserable lives(sarcasm)
    I 100% agree. Drugs are what make people worse and keep em coming back. That's how the medical community "go" round. I'm not trying to go the prescription drug route. I'm officially done going to the dr's office. I'm dealing and was just looking for a occasional edge. I know nothing will work better then life's lessons. confidence has helped out a lot and as I continue to grow as a person I know it will get better.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?

2. Quote Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
    alchohol
    Like i said in my other post. Without a doubt alcohol is the best social anxiety drug out there. It's effects don't work on me anymore though unfortunatly. I end up getting more nervous after 2 drinks. Funny how it's effects are reversed now. I'm cool with 1 or 2. Not any more.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by dethklok View Post
    My advice:

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ALCOHOL!!

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM BENZOS!!

These are the only two drugs that can KILL when withdrawing.
    I have had alcohol induced withdrawl seizures years ago. Alcohol is not joke! I believe benzo's can have the same effects. Some good advice there!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    I've used phenibut and it works really well but tolerance is a quick issue with it. Have used picamilon but it's effects are more similar to cannabis to me. I've noticed some decent effects with a ALCAR,Taurine,Tyrosine mix but looking for something I can take on a regular basis without fast tolerance. I'm gonna try some powerfull to see what enhancing dopamine does but i'm also looking for some other suggestions. thanks
    1/2 a gallion of southern comfort

5. isnt kava kava on the dirty dozen
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by dethklok View Post
    So I told you what not to do, let me suggest something you can do. I would do a search for herbs and anxiety. Peppermint sometimes works for me.
    I bought some kava kava tea for tonight. Feel slightly relaxed but I took 2 teaspoons of magesium citrate in hot water and that really calmed me down tonight. For some reason i've been having panic attacks this week and today it reached it's peak.

All I can say is that I think a lot of my anxiety can be related to post alcohol abuse. I used it for social anxiety in the past. I wasn't a alcoholic per say but I used it socially quite often. I don't drink any more then a few drinks due to the seizure scare but I really shouldn't drink at all. I guess it's hard when there's nothing else to do but go to the bar.

7. Nothign can replace social skills. Make it your goal to meet people. Go to bars just to meet people. not drink. When your in the grocery store shoopping just strike up a conversation , even in the gym, now dont get me wrong The gym is for training and not ****ing off, but like before and after you get into the Zone and possibly between sets if you see a cutie -llol but stay focused in the gym,.....Dude no drug can replace social skills... Do what it takes get a job checking out people at a video store...turn red, feel embarssed , sweat pouring from your face,in front of a crowd and there all staring at you, happened to me many times at my video store job I worked for four and a half years, would sweat and turn beet red , lol but got social skills.take a public speaking class, I have done these and yes Ive gone though some hard moments then but guess what Its only a skill you build. You only get better with practice.practice my man

8. Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    I bought some kava kava tea for tonight. Feel slightly relaxed but I took 2 teaspoons of magesium citrate in hot water and that really calmed me down tonight. For some reason i've been having panic attacks this week and today it reached it's peak.

All I can say is that I think a lot of my anxiety can be related to post alcohol abuse. I used it for social anxiety in the past. I wasn't a alcoholic per say but I used it socially quite often. I don't drink any more then a few drinks due to the seizure scare but I really shouldn't drink at all. I guess it's hard when there's nothing else to do but go to the bar.
    I think you need to go chill with a professional instead of asking meatheads for help. I have been for years. I havent killed myself or anyone else yet. (That I have been forced to admit too!)
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html

9. Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    What
    I was going to attempt to be funny and say cocaine.
    But that's a REAL BAD IDEA.
    All of this is a bad idea. Deal with life natually. If you're shy, use your brain to overcome that fear. Work thru it .

If you have to get ****ed up to have a good time....you got serious problems. Substance abuse always starts out as... a couple a beers. Then in 5,10 or 20 years it kills ya.

Done, off soap box.

10. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Nothign can replace social skills. Make it your goal to meet people. Go to bars just to meet people. not drink. When your in the grocery store shoopping just strike up a conversation , even in the gym, now dont get me wrong The gym is for training and not ****ing off, but like before and after you get into the Zone and possibly between sets if you see a cutie -llol but stay focused in the gym,.....Dude no drug can replace social skills... Do what it takes get a job checking out people at a video store...turn red, feel embarssed , sweat pouring from your face,in front of a crowd and there all staring at you, happened to me many times at my video store job I worked for four and a half years, would sweat and turn beet red , lol but got social skills.take a public speaking class, I have done these and yes Ive gone though some hard moments then but guess what Its only a skill you build. You only get better with practice.practice my man
    Once you know you have your mind and thats your most powerful tool available. Like the saying goes Get your mind right..Theres a lot of truth in this saying.

Then I think supplements can be good for you and fun like Alcar which is good for memory, short and long term, Fat Oxiadation, Alzehemiers, and just an all around good supplement.

11. PURELY annecdotal but i have been using posieden an have a similar situation to yourself, and i absolutley love it, no stim's in it either which to me is such a plus, i don't feel drugged up at all like on ritalin(adhd) i just feel like a happier less anxious version of myself, and the diffrence is not subtle in the least, I don't feel high or low i just feel me(insert joke here)

12. On another note if you do seek help, avoid psychiatrist like the plauge, I would suggest a neurologist as they will generally apply a more multi-faceted approch. I know i will get bashed for saying this but psychiatry is just a step above pseudo-science in my opinion. They don't know the mechanisms behing the drugs the are feeding you work, and if they say they do they are either lying or basing their opinions of of outdated research.

Psych drugs are only useful during critical situations(lithium does help for bipolar, and the releif provided is worth the sides for ex.) but just be listening to you talk and the coherency of your statements, IN MY O.P.I.N.I.O.N, drugs are not needed, but therapy may help

good look, you seem like a pretty cool well adjusted guy to me

13. Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    On another note if you do seek help, avoid psychiatrist like the plauge, I would suggest a neurologist as they will generally apply a more multi-faceted approch. I know i will get bashed for saying this but psychiatry is just a step above pseudo-science in my opinion. They don't know the mechanisms behing the drugs the are feeding you work, and if they say they do they are either lying or basing their opinions of of outdated research.

Psych drugs are only useful during critical situations(lithium does help for bipolar, and the releif provided is worth the sides for ex.) but just be listening to you talk and the coherency of your statements, IN MY O.P.I.N.I.O.N, drugs are not needed, but therapy may help

good look, you seem like a pretty cool well adjusted guy to me
    I'm not going to seek help. I've gone to a pychologist once and realized I just needed someone to talk to. Once I got it out I felt better and i've allowed myself to express myself more with friends then I have in the past and share my feelings. As a male we are taught by society that emotions are "bad". That's why so many guys go on rampages. Woman are looked as the emotional ones but atleast they talk about it and get it out. Most of us guys keep it in untill we do something stupid. I will never take prescription drugs. I've seen what they have done to a lot of my friends. It's NOT the solution.

14. Like i said you seem fine to me, I am in a similar situation as yourself and like you said it gets better by just living life, by listenin to you, your already do the best thin possible by havin a job where you constantly interact with people, I think that offers far greater benefit then a supplement you will find on this board.

if you want a supp, i think you may really benefit from posiden by nimbus
    i have been on it for a week for similar reasons and just feel a lot more comfortable in all situations

15. Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    I'm not going to seek help. I've gone to a pychologist once and realized I just needed someone to talk to. Once I got it out I felt better and i've allowed myself to express myself more with friends then I have in the past and share my feelings. As a male we are taught by society that emotions are "bad". That's why so many guys go on rampages. Woman are looked as the emotional ones but atleast they talk about it and get it out. Most of us guys keep it in untill we do something stupid. I will never take prescription drugs. I've seen what they have done to a lot of my friends. It's NOT the solution.
    Prescription drugs can help some people. If you don't like how they make you feel after the time table of effectiveness, then ask your doctor how to stop taking it without encountering side effects.

I was in the same boat you are in bro, but let me tell you... keep your chin up. Life can only get better. Drop all of your inner cynicism and just be positive. People are attracted to positive energy. You'll be surprised how often people will approach you and start talking to you. Give some things time and set some short term goals. In no time you'll realize how much you achieved and how easy it was to get it done and things will come naturally.

Also, make sure you're not taking any supplements that are increasing your anxiety. You may want to detoxify yourself for a short period of time after you have a new lifestyle game plan. If you have the money or if insurance may cover it, see a well known nutritionist and have him give you a work-up on what kind of eating plan works best for YOU. It's much better than trial and error dieting. What's worse: A half-assed Atkin's type keto diet (can make some people homicidally insane) or some drowsiness from Paxil or Cymbalta? Get back to the basics
    Last edited by Force of Green; 06-10-2007 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spoke too soon

16. paxil is the best for social anxiety. it will make you fearless and confident as hell. only bad is it is very hard to get off and sensation is pretty much gone. some ppl also get ed probs from it. the girl ur with will think your king kong cus u can last forever.

17. Anger that is kept inside sooner or later becomes depression.

A really good book on beating Anxiety or depression is Called MindOS, you wont ever read another book on the matter of anger or anxity once you finish this book, its that good. You can find it on www.doctorpaul.net He also has a very good program just for your issue.

18. Reset AD bar none!

This is the only thing I have ever taken that makes me feel "normal" within a group of people and not drinking or on drugs. I swear up and down about this stuff. Since starting on it, my life and mindset has completely changed, no BS.

19. Alcohol and chronic.....

20. Taking a substance to control you anxiety is not a good idea.

Alcohol is what actually triggered social anxiety in me. If I drink for 2 days, I'm a mess the week after. Mild panic attacks and such. So I'm off the alcohol for now.

Try to find a cause for it, and hopefully a solution(other than taking substances)

Good luck!

21. Quote Originally Posted by bkprice View Post
    Anger that is kept inside sooner or later becomes depression.

A really good book on beating Anxiety or depression is Called MindOS, you wont ever read another book on the matter of anger or anxity once you finish this book, its that good. You can find it on www.doctorpaul.net He also has a very good program just for your issue.
    I agree. I delt with that in the past. I don't really feel that I have anger inside anymore but I could be a bit numb too.

22. Quote Originally Posted by supersoldier View Post
    Reset AD bar none!

This is the only thing I have ever taken that makes me feel "normal" within a group of people and not drinking or on drugs. I swear up and down about this stuff. Since starting on it, my life and mindset has completely changed, no BS.
    Reset is a excellent product. It did help cope with stress.. the only problem for me is that I believe it shot up my cortisol levels to deal with the stress and I put on some weight around the mid section while taking it.

23. Your Right Flaw

Flaw, I know this is an old post but I just noticed it. People who don't have Social Anxiety Disorder will not understand what it is like. Where are you with this problem now? Have you found any supplements that help. I've been on the search. I also tried PM you but it said "you didn't except PM's"

I look forward to hearing your response

24. Quote Originally Posted by GetTechBsc View Post
    Flaw, I know this is an old post but I just noticed it. People who don't have Social Anxiety Disorder will not understand what it is like. Where are you with this problem now? Have you found any supplements that help. I've been on the search. I also tried PM you but it said "you didn't except PM's"

I look forward to hearing your response
    Hey man.. where am i now? well.. just dealing like I always have. I guess I have days where it's better then others and days where I just force myself to be more social. On rare occasions I won't feel it. It's like something kicks in and it goes away for a few hours. I never pin pointed why that would happen or what I ate or took to feel that way. For the past couple months I've been doing kava kava and it does seem to make me more social. Not extremely but I notice a difference. It seems like just keeping my mind sharp by having a good diet, proper sleep, good friends and relationships seem to help a lot but I guess it's something that I will always have to deal with. The more confident I get in myself the easier things get though..

25. Of all my experience with supps such as stimulants, sedatives, and things such as anti-depressants... my trials with certain other substances... etc. My social anxiety has pretty much dissipated. Rehab really fixed it a lot. I was at rock bottom, building up from square zero and I was around people in the same situation. The people didn't care if I was too strung out to shower, didn't care if I wore pajamas... And I was too worn out to care. I was binge-eating like a pig during meal-time, I didn't shower but every other day, I wore the same clothes over and over and over... I shaved twice, total... many days I had a scraggly, ratty-assed beard. I'd rip ass during group sessions. I didn't care.

I figured I'd share my experience. We shared a lot in rehab and my stories were enjoyable to many, so I figure I'll input a little here.

If you need advice on socializing or advice on supps, feel free to PM me.
    Freedom means nothing here.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    Hey man.. where am i now? well.. just dealing like I always have. I guess I have days where it's better then others and days where I just force myself to be more social. On rare occasions I won't feel it. It's like something kicks in and it goes away for a few hours. I never pin pointed why that would happen or what I ate or took to feel that way. For the past couple months I've been doing kava kava and it does seem to make me more social. Not extremely but I notice a difference. It seems like just keeping my mind sharp by having a good diet, proper sleep, good friends and relationships seem to help a lot but I guess it's something that I will always have to deal with. The more confident I get in myself the easier things get though..

Thanks for the response, It cool to know other people are out there and it sucks when most of them can't relate or even understand. I have found that having a good diet and propper sleep definitly help my anxieties a little. Here's the kicker, and I don't abuse or condone this. I take Ambien (to sleep) Everytime I take an ambien I want to connect with people, I want to talk, and be more socialable, I show more emotion such as happy, funny, and feel very extroverted. I'm don't act like some "stupid" drunk. In most cases people wouldn't even know I had taken an ambien 1 hr ago. All they would see is what I feel. This really leads me to beleive it is something with the brain that is inhibiting us from being ourselves. What do you think? Have you heard about Oxytocin spray to treat shyness?

27. If you truly have social anxiety SSRI's such as Lexapro prescribed by your doctor are going to be a lot better than various forms of gaba, including xanex as taking gaba receptor products daily is a terrible idea. I cannot explain this to you scientifically but I know Patrick Arnold has expressed the same feeling as will your doctor if you talk to him. I know people who have taken phenibut or xanex for long periods of time and just cannot calm down anymore and are worse than they started off.

Gaba receptor products are good for every now and then, but certainly not every day use.

Also, don't use stims if you have social anxiety, even preWO.

28. Wow.. Reading you guy's posts on social anxiety hit so stinking close to home. I've been into healthful eating and fitness for years, at this point I know that just doing those things won't make a difference in my anxiety frequency or intensity. I'm headed to the doc tomorrow to see what he has to say about it. It'd be absolutely amazing to be free from social anxiety.. as I'm sure many of you know. The thought of being in a crowd without the overwhelming fears/feelings would be incredible. I hope that is the outcome of my doctors visit, along with any medications that are prescribed.

29. Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Wow.. Reading you guy's posts on social anxiety hit so stinking close to home. I've been into healthful eating and fitness for years, at this point I know that just doing those things won't make a difference in my anxiety frequency or intensity. I'm headed to the doc tomorrow to see what he has to say about it. It'd be absolutely amazing to be free from social anxiety.. as I'm sure many of you know. The thought of being in a crowd without the overwhelming fears/feelings would be incredible. I hope that is the outcome of my doctors visit, along with any medications that are prescribed.

Your doc will prescribe you a few different meds Lexapro, Paxil, or Effexor. I would stay away from Xanax family of meds. All the meds just seem to focus on General Anxiety rather then Social Anxiety (No matter what the sales pitch is). They really don't treat Social Anxiety well. To put it lightly. I haven't found anything better then Ambien or Beer. so......that that plain sucks! However, they are working on making Oxytocin Spray available specifically for Social Anxiety or shy people.

30. Quote Originally Posted by GetTechBsc View Post
    Your doc will prescribe you a few different meds Lexapro, Paxil, or Effexor. I would stay away from Xanax family of meds. All the meds just seem to focus on General Anxiety rather then Social Anxiety (No matter what the sales pitch is). They really don't treat Social Anxiety well. To put it lightly. I haven't found anything better then Ambien or Beer. so......that that plain sucks! However, they are working on making Oxytocin Spray available specifically for Social Anxiety or shy people.
    x2 on staying away from xanex unless you adhere to the doctors notion of not more than aprox once a week, Lexapro works amazing IMO

best of luck to all dealing with social anxiety or any form of anxiety for that matter. Theres a lot of good meds out there these days and well educated, caring doctors.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. best supplements for anxiety?
    By bill86 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  2. Best supplements for anxiety
    By machine528 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
  3. Best supplement for getting ripped
    By Gym4Life in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 03:51 AM
  4. The best supplementation for awesome gains is indirect.
    By Aeternitatis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 04:55 PM