Best supplements for social anxiety? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Best supplements for social anxiety?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. New Member

PURELY annecdotal but i have been using posieden an have a similar situation to yourself, and i absolutley love it, no stim's in it either which to me is such a plus, i don't feel drugged up at all like on ritalin(adhd) i just feel like a happier less anxious version of myself, and the diffrence is not subtle in the least, I don't feel high or low i just feel me(insert joke here)

2. New Member

On another note if you do seek help, avoid psychiatrist like the plauge, I would suggest a neurologist as they will generally apply a more multi-faceted approch. I know i will get bashed for saying this but psychiatry is just a step above pseudo-science in my opinion. They don't know the mechanisms behing the drugs the are feeding you work, and if they say they do they are either lying or basing their opinions of of outdated research.

Psych drugs are only useful during critical situations(lithium does help for bipolar, and the releif provided is worth the sides for ex.) but just be listening to you talk and the coherency of your statements, IN MY O.P.I.N.I.O.N, drugs are not needed, but therapy may help

good look, you seem like a pretty cool well adjusted guy to me
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    On another note if you do seek help, avoid psychiatrist like the plauge, I would suggest a neurologist as they will generally apply a more multi-faceted approch. I know i will get bashed for saying this but psychiatry is just a step above pseudo-science in my opinion. They don't know the mechanisms behing the drugs the are feeding you work, and if they say they do they are either lying or basing their opinions of of outdated research.

Psych drugs are only useful during critical situations(lithium does help for bipolar, and the releif provided is worth the sides for ex.) but just be listening to you talk and the coherency of your statements, IN MY O.P.I.N.I.O.N, drugs are not needed, but therapy may help

good look, you seem like a pretty cool well adjusted guy to me
    I'm not going to seek help. I've gone to a pychologist once and realized I just needed someone to talk to. Once I got it out I felt better and i've allowed myself to express myself more with friends then I have in the past and share my feelings. As a male we are taught by society that emotions are "bad". That's why so many guys go on rampages. Woman are looked as the emotional ones but atleast they talk about it and get it out. Most of us guys keep it in untill we do something stupid. I will never take prescription drugs. I've seen what they have done to a lot of my friends. It's NOT the solution.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
    •   

4. New Member

Like i said you seem fine to me, I am in a similar situation as yourself and like you said it gets better by just living life, by listenin to you, your already do the best thin possible by havin a job where you constantly interact with people, I think that offers far greater benefit then a supplement you will find on this board.

if you want a supp, i think you may really benefit from posiden by nimbus
    i have been on it for a week for similar reasons and just feel a lot more comfortable in all situations
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    I'm not going to seek help. I've gone to a pychologist once and realized I just needed someone to talk to. Once I got it out I felt better and i've allowed myself to express myself more with friends then I have in the past and share my feelings. As a male we are taught by society that emotions are "bad". That's why so many guys go on rampages. Woman are looked as the emotional ones but atleast they talk about it and get it out. Most of us guys keep it in untill we do something stupid. I will never take prescription drugs. I've seen what they have done to a lot of my friends. It's NOT the solution.
    Prescription drugs can help some people. If you don't like how they make you feel after the time table of effectiveness, then ask your doctor how to stop taking it without encountering side effects.

I was in the same boat you are in bro, but let me tell you... keep your chin up. Life can only get better. Drop all of your inner cynicism and just be positive. People are attracted to positive energy. You'll be surprised how often people will approach you and start talking to you. Give some things time and set some short term goals. In no time you'll realize how much you achieved and how easy it was to get it done and things will come naturally.

Also, make sure you're not taking any supplements that are increasing your anxiety. You may want to detoxify yourself for a short period of time after you have a new lifestyle game plan. If you have the money or if insurance may cover it, see a well known nutritionist and have him give you a work-up on what kind of eating plan works best for YOU. It's much better than trial and error dieting. What's worse: A half-assed Atkin's type keto diet (can make some people homicidally insane) or some drowsiness from Paxil or Cymbalta? Get back to the basics
    Last edited by Force of Green; 06-09-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spoke too soon
  6. Advanced Member

paxil is the best for social anxiety. it will make you fearless and confident as hell. only bad is it is very hard to get off and sensation is pretty much gone. some ppl also get ed probs from it. the girl ur with will think your king kong cus u can last forever.
  7. New Member

Anger that is kept inside sooner or later becomes depression.

A really good book on beating Anxiety or depression is Called MindOS, you wont ever read another book on the matter of anger or anxity once you finish this book, its that good. You can find it on www.doctorpaul.net He also has a very good program just for your issue.
  8. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!

Reset AD bar none!

This is the only thing I have ever taken that makes me feel "normal" within a group of people and not drinking or on drugs. I swear up and down about this stuff. Since starting on it, my life and mindset has completely changed, no BS.
  9. New Member

Alcohol and chronic.....
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Taking a substance to control you anxiety is not a good idea.

Alcohol is what actually triggered social anxiety in me. If I drink for 2 days, I'm a mess the week after. Mild panic attacks and such. So I'm off the alcohol for now.

Try to find a cause for it, and hopefully a solution(other than taking substances)

Good luck!
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bkprice View Post
    Anger that is kept inside sooner or later becomes depression.

A really good book on beating Anxiety or depression is Called MindOS, you wont ever read another book on the matter of anger or anxity once you finish this book, its that good. You can find it on www.doctorpaul.net He also has a very good program just for your issue.
    I agree. I delt with that in the past. I don't really feel that I have anger inside anymore but I could be a bit numb too.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by supersoldier View Post
    Reset AD bar none!

This is the only thing I have ever taken that makes me feel "normal" within a group of people and not drinking or on drugs. I swear up and down about this stuff. Since starting on it, my life and mindset has completely changed, no BS.
    Reset is a excellent product. It did help cope with stress.. the only problem for me is that I believe it shot up my cortisol levels to deal with the stress and I put on some weight around the mid section while taking it.

13. New Member

Your Right Flaw

Flaw, I know this is an old post but I just noticed it. People who don't have Social Anxiety Disorder will not understand what it is like. Where are you with this problem now? Have you found any supplements that help. I've been on the search. I also tried PM you but it said "you didn't except PM's"

I look forward to hearing your response
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GetTechBsc View Post
    Flaw, I know this is an old post but I just noticed it. People who don't have Social Anxiety Disorder will not understand what it is like. Where are you with this problem now? Have you found any supplements that help. I've been on the search. I also tried PM you but it said "you didn't except PM's"

I look forward to hearing your response
    Hey man.. where am i now? well.. just dealing like I always have. I guess I have days where it's better then others and days where I just force myself to be more social. On rare occasions I won't feel it. It's like something kicks in and it goes away for a few hours. I never pin pointed why that would happen or what I ate or took to feel that way. For the past couple months I've been doing kava kava and it does seem to make me more social. Not extremely but I notice a difference. It seems like just keeping my mind sharp by having a good diet, proper sleep, good friends and relationships seem to help a lot but I guess it's something that I will always have to deal with. The more confident I get in myself the easier things get though..

15. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Of all my experience with supps such as stimulants, sedatives, and things such as anti-depressants... my trials with certain other substances... etc. My social anxiety has pretty much dissipated. Rehab really fixed it a lot. I was at rock bottom, building up from square zero and I was around people in the same situation. The people didn't care if I was too strung out to shower, didn't care if I wore pajamas... And I was too worn out to care. I was binge-eating like a pig during meal-time, I didn't shower but every other day, I wore the same clothes over and over and over... I shaved twice, total... many days I had a scraggly, ratty-assed beard. I'd rip ass during group sessions. I didn't care.

I figured I'd share my experience. We shared a lot in rehab and my stories were enjoyable to many, so I figure I'll input a little here.

If you need advice on socializing or advice on supps, feel free to PM me.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  16. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    Hey man.. where am i now? well.. just dealing like I always have. I guess I have days where it's better then others and days where I just force myself to be more social. On rare occasions I won't feel it. It's like something kicks in and it goes away for a few hours. I never pin pointed why that would happen or what I ate or took to feel that way. For the past couple months I've been doing kava kava and it does seem to make me more social. Not extremely but I notice a difference. It seems like just keeping my mind sharp by having a good diet, proper sleep, good friends and relationships seem to help a lot but I guess it's something that I will always have to deal with. The more confident I get in myself the easier things get though..

Thanks for the response, It cool to know other people are out there and it sucks when most of them can't relate or even understand. I have found that having a good diet and propper sleep definitly help my anxieties a little. Here's the kicker, and I don't abuse or condone this. I take Ambien (to sleep) Everytime I take an ambien I want to connect with people, I want to talk, and be more socialable, I show more emotion such as happy, funny, and feel very extroverted. I'm don't act like some "stupid" drunk. In most cases people wouldn't even know I had taken an ambien 1 hr ago. All they would see is what I feel. This really leads me to beleive it is something with the brain that is inhibiting us from being ourselves. What do you think? Have you heard about Oxytocin spray to treat shyness?
  17. Advanced Member

If you truly have social anxiety SSRI's such as Lexapro prescribed by your doctor are going to be a lot better than various forms of gaba, including xanex as taking gaba receptor products daily is a terrible idea. I cannot explain this to you scientifically but I know Patrick Arnold has expressed the same feeling as will your doctor if you talk to him. I know people who have taken phenibut or xanex for long periods of time and just cannot calm down anymore and are worse than they started off.

Gaba receptor products are good for every now and then, but certainly not every day use.

Also, don't use stims if you have social anxiety, even preWO.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Wow.. Reading you guy's posts on social anxiety hit so stinking close to home. I've been into healthful eating and fitness for years, at this point I know that just doing those things won't make a difference in my anxiety frequency or intensity. I'm headed to the doc tomorrow to see what he has to say about it. It'd be absolutely amazing to be free from social anxiety.. as I'm sure many of you know. The thought of being in a crowd without the overwhelming fears/feelings would be incredible. I hope that is the outcome of my doctors visit, along with any medications that are prescribed.
  19. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Wow.. Reading you guy's posts on social anxiety hit so stinking close to home. I've been into healthful eating and fitness for years, at this point I know that just doing those things won't make a difference in my anxiety frequency or intensity. I'm headed to the doc tomorrow to see what he has to say about it. It'd be absolutely amazing to be free from social anxiety.. as I'm sure many of you know. The thought of being in a crowd without the overwhelming fears/feelings would be incredible. I hope that is the outcome of my doctors visit, along with any medications that are prescribed.

Your doc will prescribe you a few different meds Lexapro, Paxil, or Effexor. I would stay away from Xanax family of meds. All the meds just seem to focus on General Anxiety rather then Social Anxiety (No matter what the sales pitch is). They really don't treat Social Anxiety well. To put it lightly. I haven't found anything better then Ambien or Beer. so......that that plain sucks! However, they are working on making Oxytocin Spray available specifically for Social Anxiety or shy people.
  20. Advanced Member

Your doc will prescribe you a few different meds Lexapro, Paxil, or Effexor. I would stay away from Xanax family of meds. All the meds just seem to focus on General Anxiety rather then Social Anxiety (No matter what the sales pitch is). They really don't treat Social Anxiety well. To put it lightly. I haven't found anything better then Ambien or Beer. so......that that plain sucks! However, they are working on making Oxytocin Spray available specifically for Social Anxiety or shy people.
    x2 on staying away from xanex unless you adhere to the doctors notion of not more than aprox once a week, Lexapro works amazing IMO

best of luck to all dealing with social anxiety or any form of anxiety for that matter. Theres a lot of good meds out there these days and well educated, caring doctors.
  21. New Member

I deal with this type of anxiety by not being around people.I have to deal with people all day long at work.I have to be very social and I can turn that switch on while at work.Once off of work I cannot be around people for the most part.Cannot socialize at all not even with my friends.I used to be invited to go hang out and I would panic with the thought that I had to go socialize and be around people.Sucks very much.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Thanks for the response, It cool to know other people are out there and it sucks when most of them can't relate or even understand. I have found that having a good diet and propper sleep definitly help my anxieties a little. Here's the kicker, and I don't abuse or condone this. I take Ambien (to sleep) Everytime I take an ambien I want to connect with people, I want to talk, and be more socialable, I show more emotion such as happy, funny, and feel very extroverted. I'm don't act like some "stupid" drunk. In most cases people wouldn't even know I had taken an ambien 1 hr ago. All they would see is what I feel. This really leads me to beleive it is something with the brain that is inhibiting us from being ourselves. What do you think? Have you heard about Oxytocin spray to treat shyness?
    I do truly believe that something is wrong with us that prevents or inhibits us from being ourselves. That is what I feel all the time.. like i'm being held back.. like I can't be who I am inside. My mind won't allow me.

Part of it also truly is about not caring.. Like changing the way your mind works. Force of Green was talking about hitting rock bottom and in that situation it forces you to change. I understand what he means.. because I've hit some hard bottoms myself and every time it changed the way I thought and helped me grow mentally but it never truly "fixed" me.. Those moments of getting up from nothing only made me better. Also it's hard to not care about only one thing and care about other things. Balancing what you care about is difficult and only time and experience can change that. It's like old people .. they don't care what anyone thinks of them.. they are too old to care.. Our SA will probably not be as bad when we are in our 70's.. haha..

What is strange is anything that causing sedation or relaxation makes me more social.. Probably why ambien does that to you. I have never taken ambien but I don't want to either. I have been taking things to sleep for years. 5-htp, melatonin, gaba, zma, valerian, ect..

By far the best fix for social anxiety was alcohol back in the day.. Of course that lead to abuse though. I haven't touched a drink in a year.. so it's been a hard year trying to be social without any help. But I'm not going to use that crutch anymore.

have not heard of oxytocin.. however I get this homeopathic spray called rescue remedy that does help with stress and anxiety..

poor sleep almost guarantees anxiety.. It is very important to get proper sleep..

23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LatSpread View Post
    If you truly have social anxiety SSRI's such as Lexapro prescribed by your doctor are going to be a lot better than various forms of gaba, including xanex as taking gaba receptor products daily is a terrible idea. I cannot explain this to you scientifically but I know Patrick Arnold has expressed the same feeling as will your doctor if you talk to him. I know people who have taken phenibut or xanex for long periods of time and just cannot calm down anymore and are worse than they started off.

Gaba receptor products are good for every now and then, but certainly not every day use.
    I truly started to believe I was getting side effects from gaba products after I tried phenibut. I've never been the same after taking phenibut a number of times.. I feel like my anxiety is far worse because of that stuff. I am so easily prone to anxiety anymore.. it's crazy. I don't do that anymore but I probably should stay away from any gaba products. I do feel like I'm worse then when I started off. I've been using "gaba" enhancers since I was 18 or so.. so 7-8 years..

I wish I knew what I knew now and never touched anything. The wisdom i've gained would of prevented me from even touching alcohol... I feel like I could of been ok when I was younger if I understood what I needed better. Like maybe more people to talk to... better relationships.. take negativity out of my life.. but hey.. life is a lesson..

I am a big fan of 5-htp.. increasing serotonin will indirectly increase gaba. I've felt it work many times.. and Have not noticed any side effects. However.. taking 5-htp during the day time all the time will make u a little drousy and less social. It can start to make u feel lazy... so it's hard to win!

I've been taking kava kava as I've read its actually suppost to make gaba receptors more sensitive while using them at the same time. No other product which increases gaba does this.. So far so good with kava kava..

man i wish i could get my gaba receptors like they used to be.. I barely feel gaba release anymore.. Man.. I sure messed myself up more thats for sure...Thankfully i'm not getting seizures everyday as gaba is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter. .. yeah.. def wise to lay off gaba products for long term use.

24. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

GHB was on the market a while back, but is now a class 1 controlled substance. When used properly, this is by far THE best substance for almost total disinhibition and mood. Par Deus has a big writeup on it at bodybuilding.com. He even made a product similar to it called tranquilii G. GHB = gamm hydroxy butyrate. It's like GABA, but with the hydroxy group replacing the amino group. It crosses the blood brain barrier very rapidly and must be dosed exactly.
    It is also an anti-oxidant.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

alcohol...can talk to anybody who will listen.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Welp, doc put me on Zoloft.

We'll see what happens.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.

I'd give a finger for a gallon of ghb for social anxiety... honestly i would ha
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Has anyone tried tranquilii G?
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

GHB did help, back in the day, but then everyone started taking it at clubs and stuff and having seizures. Sucks.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.

i too am on zoloft and xanax. xanax has been helping me sleep much better. the zoloft hasnt really kicked in yet for me to notice a change
  31. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.

dont take xanax take klonopin, i think its better. But nothing is better than good ol grass.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LatSpread View Post

Also, don't use stims if you have social anxiety, even preWO.
    Lexapro and Ativan both left me FUBARed for years. I am not and have never been prone to depression, but Lexapro sent me into a deep depression. Then my doctor refused to ween me off, so I fired him on the spot and rolled back the doses myself. It took 4 years to recover from the deep dark moods that sh*t put me into. Up until 6 months ago, I was still popping Ativan about 3 times a week to combat anxiety, specifically in social situations. It also destroyed my metabolism.

The real change for me was the diet changes and supplementation I needed to fix the fat*ss I had become. I didn't realize it then, but shortly after I started eating 7-8 healthy meals per day and supplementing for workout and recovery, I finally made it back. When I started Recreate, I was very anxious, as any stims would send me into a deep anxiety back then. Now, after many months on Recreate and a Reset-AD/EndoAmp cycle, I can take almost anything and feel revved up instead of the chest-pounding, hyperventilating wreck I would have been before.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by avenue Red View Post
    i too am on zoloft and xanax. xanax has been helping me sleep much better. the zoloft hasnt really kicked in yet for me to notice a change
    Zoloft will wreck your Libido..totally KILL it. Buspar has no sided except maybe a little dizziness until you get use to it. Its what I take (when needed). I couldn't take Zoloft sides.
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    I'd give a finger for a gallon of ghb for social anxiety... honestly i would ha
    A gallon? Dang, that's gonna be a few paychecks
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Prescription drugs can be good (ativan, etc), but the funny thing is that I haven't had any work better for anxiety than Stablon (tianeptine - a drug only available in europe) has worked for me. An activating anxiolytic..something that not only cuts out anxiety, but works as a nootropic, brightens your mood, and activates you without stimulating or causing agitation or lethargy. In fact, after the first couple weeks, i've had no negative sides from it at all.
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Prescription drugs can be good (ativan, etc), but the funny thing is that I haven't had any work better for anxiety than Stablon (tianeptine - a drug only available in europe) has worked for me. An activating anxiolytic..something that not only cuts out anxiety, but works as a nootropic, brightens your mood, and activates you without stimulating or causing agitation or lethargy. In fact, after the first couple weeks, i've had no negative sides from it at all.
    Good ole Euro pharms! How've you been Gutterpump?
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Hey, not bad! Started a new job here in nyc and getting back on track with things...been outta the loop and on the down-low for most of the summer!

i just joined a new gym here, Equinox, it's pretty damn nice and motivating me to get back on track with the routine again..
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Hey, not bad! Started a new job here in nyc and getting back on track with things...been outta the loop and on the down-low for most of the summer!

i just joined a new gym here, Equinox, it's pretty damn nice and motivating me to get back on track with the routine again..
    Good deal Gutterpump! Equinox is very 'prestigious' Nice gym to be at though I bet.

I'm back on the East Coast in Jersey. Working at a gym, but nothing like Equinox! haha!
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Yeah definately...I gave in since it's in the gf's neighbourhood (and she's a member now) and also right at Union Square, where I transfer trains to get to work..so it's definitely convenient..not to mention there's no lines for equipment! The place is never packed with people. Worth the extra money$ to me.

How's Jersey treating you? I'm consulting for my company over in jersey city at exchange place atm.
  40. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Yeah definately...I gave in since it's in the gf's neighbourhood (and she's a member now) and also right at Union Square, where I transfer trains to get to work..so it's definitely convenient..not to mention there's no lines for equipment! The place is never packed with people. Worth the extra money$ to me.

How's Jersey treating you? I'm consulting for my company over in jersey city at exchange place atm.
    Jersey's treating me good so far! I have a decent job with growing clientel for personal training, I'm in very good physical shape again, I'm squared away with debt and the IRS, and I have a nice girlfriend.

My body is tired and lately I am scrounging the bottom of the barrel for workout motivation.

Similar Forum Threads

1. best supplements for anxiety?
    By bill86 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
  2. Best supplements for anxiety
    By machine528 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
  3. Best supplement for getting ripped
    By Gym4Life in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 01:51 AM
  4. The best supplementation for awesome gains is indirect.
    By Aeternitatis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 02:55 PM