The Ultimate Nootropics/Cognitive Supp Thread

TRDE59

Awards
I've been doing a lot of research on different compounds and I'm now more confused than ever. I'll find out about one product, then realize I have to take something else with this product for it to work, then find something that says it's toxic, then find something that says it isn't. I don't have a good knowlege of these sort of things, and I'd like to learn more. I just thought it would be nice to put anything and everything you know about nootropics or cognitive supplements in this one place. Let the flow of useful information begin!

TRDE59

Awards
Phenylethylamine (PEA)

This compound produces feelings of well being and focus. Known as the "love molecule" the brain produces this chemical when you're mentally immersed in something you enjoy, whether it is painting, writing, hanging out with your girlfriend, or watching a great movie. Many scientists think it has great application for people with ADHD, because ADHD patients seem to produce lower levels of this.

However, you must take an mao inhibitor to see its effects last for any worthwhile length of time. Hordenine is commony used for this purpose. Like all cognitive supplements, dosage is dependant on the person, but a good dosage for starters is between 100-300mg.

STACKS WELL WITH: Hordenine or other mao inhibitor

DURATION: Without an mao inhibitor, about 45 minutes. With one? I'm not sure about myself, as I haven't tried it yet, but most say it's full effects don't taper off for 6 hours.

I've ordered some PEA+Hord, but it hasn't come in yet. I'll keep you posted on how it works for me.

If anybody has anything else to add about PEA, or anything else for that matter, feel free. All info is welcome.

TRDE59

Awards
Spike by Biotest

Contains sulbutiamine (although it goes by the name thiamine in this product) and caffeine.

I find it works very well for focus. I like to use it when I'm doing challenging academic work. Also many people notice a greater affinity for speech production and wit. Sulbutiamine has an effect on this part of the brain, I believe.

My main complaint, though, is it doesn't last long enough. After an hour and a half, the effects have dwindled away. However, if I take a straight caffeine pill, I can feel the effects for another hour or so, which is cool. However, I'd like to find out about something that lasts longer but has the same effects. Bulk sulbutiamine in higher dosages?

STACKS WELL WITH: more caffeine after about 90 minutes

DURATION: alone, about 90 minutes. Add more caffeine every 90 minutes for longer effect.

TRDE59

Awards
BodyQuick by Brainquicken

Very good cognitive stimulant. Interesting effects, too. It's a stim, but it doesn't seem to have any adrenal effects like caffeine or taurine would. Clean energy. Nonetheless, I find it hard to sit still after I take it. I seem to have a greater affinity for speech, wit, and general thinking skills while on it. Very good overall. However, it's expensive, so that's the main drawback.

STACKS WELL WITH: caffeine. Very cool intense focus effect with caffeine that must be experienced to understand. I might try it with spike to see how that works.

DURATION: By itself, the effects last about 4-6 hours. The enhanced effect from caffeine only lasts as long as the caffeine does, which, for me, lasts about 90 minutes. But still VERY helpful when taking a test.

TRDE59

Awards
Yellow nEuphoria by Controlled Labs

Good for relaxation at the end of the day when I'm stressed. Some people use it pre-workout, but I don't. However, it may be a bit too mild for my tastes. I was hoping it would be something I could take to ease my anxiety in social situations, like parties and such. It doesn't seem to do much for me in that department, though. For me, I can feel the effects, but only if I think about them. I want something stronger where I don't have to think about it to feel the effects. Also, it would be better if it lasted longer.

STACKS WELL WITH: I've been told it works well with piracetam. Haven't tried that, but I might. I'm thinking it will stack well with hordenine, since it has PEA in it. I'll try it on a low dosage when my PEA+hord pills come in. Caffeine seems to help strengthen the euphoric feelings on it. However, if you're taking it for relaxation, caffeine is obviously not the best choice, so it depends on your desired effects.

DURATION: Only about 90 minutes. You could split the dosage to make it last longer, but then you're watering it down even further, and it's already too mild in my opinion. I don't even feel it lower than two pills

iFlex

Awards
I've been doing a lot of research on different compounds and I'm now more confused than ever. I'll find out about one product, then realize I have to take something else with this product for it to work, then find something that says it's toxic, then find something that says it isn't. I don't have a good knowlege of these sort of things, and I'd like to learn more. I just thought it would be nice to put anything and everything you know about nootropics or cognitive supplements in this one place. Let the flow of useful information begin!
Those are some really good posts on nootropics. You want to keep in mind that rationing out macro-nutrient intake (i.e., 33.3% of each: carbs, protein, and EFAs) to stabilize blood sugar consistently may improve carbohydrate metabolism, uptake and conversion to brain glucose. This in turn may potentiate the effects of various substances within the proposed formulas and stacks, as neurotransmitter generation (i.e., acetylcholine) and cellular communication (through increased plasticity and membrane permeability) escalate and at better long-term pace. This method of viewing the problem proposes the use of complex carbohydrates (with protein and EFA's), repartitioning agents, and neurotransmission precursors to adjust macro-nutrient uptake and brain glucose distribution. This should work especially for challenging academic work or other long-term strenuous mental activity. The flow of useful information has begun!