L-carnosine powder

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know where to get L-carnosine powder? Thank ya.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Beta-Alanine is cheaper, but if you reallly want Carnosine I can look into it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'd appreciate that. I'm looking for l-carnosine powder to mix with some oils and experiment with some rodents.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'd appreciate that. I'm looking for l-carnosine powder to mix with some oils and experiment with some rodents.
Let us know how it works. I've heard about such experiements but I haven't heard much feedback :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, but DSADE Foods would be a cheaper just as effective version.:D

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes by the way I just got my order from your co and thanks for the free samples .
GREAT !! Thanks for purchasing..... feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the products if any occur.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
From my understanding, carnosine is not absorbed effectively, as well as it is hydrolyzed into histidine and beta-alanine, then taken up by skeletal muscle and synthesized back into carnosine?

Which is why it is more efficient to take beta-alanine.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I still havn't had any luck finding l-carnosine powder. NOW sells the caps, but they have fillers and crap I would rather not deal with. Anybody know where I could get the powder?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Let us know how it works. I've heard about such experiements but I haven't heard much feedback :)
If I can find some powder I will definitely give it a run and let you know what happens. I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm gonna make it happen somehow. I'll let you know whats up in 5-6 weeks. If you find any l-carnosine powder definitely let me know.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Can you talk more about the experiment with the rodents, sounds interesting.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Beyond-a-century has it for $24.50USD for 50g. And they also have beta-alanine, 300g for $12.50 not to mention a slew of other bulk powders.

Now what's with the l-carno and oil. I don't see the reason for the inclusion of the latter.

Zoolander

Awards
Histidine is the active amino acid in carnosine. Why not just go with that

Life Sci. 2004 Jul 30;75(11):1379-89.

Anti-crosslinking properties of carnosine: significance of histidine.

* Hobart LJ,
* Seibel I,
* Yeargans GS,
* Seidler NW.

Department of Biochemistry, University of Health Sciences, 1750 Independence Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64106-1453, USA.

Carnosine, a histidine-containing dipeptide, is a potential treatment for Alzheimer's disease. There is evidence that carnosine prevents oxidation and glycation, both of which contribute to the crosslinking of proteins; and protein crosslinking promotes beta-amyloid plaque formation. It was previously shown that carnosine has anti-crosslinking activity, but it is not known which of the chemical constituents are responsible. We tested the individual amino acids in carnosine (beta-alanine, histidine) as well as modified forms of histidine (alpha-acetyl-histidine, 1-methyl-histidine) and methylated carnosine (anserine) using glycation-induced crosslinking of cytosolic aspartate aminotransferase as our model. beta-Alanine showed anti-crosslinking activity but less than that of carnosine, suggesting that the beta-amino group is required in preventing protein crosslinking. Interestingly, histidine, which has both alpha-amino and imidazolium groups, was more effective than carnosine. Acetylation of histidine's alpha-amino group or methylation of its imidazolium group abolished anti-crosslinking activity. Furthermore, methylation of carnosine's imidazolium group decreased its anti-crosslinking activity. The results suggest that histidine is the representative structure for an anti-crosslinking agent, containing the necessary functional groups for optimal protection against crosslinking agents. We propose that the imidazolium group of histidine or carnosine may stabilize adducts formed at the primary amino group.

PMID: 15234195 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Histidine is the active amino acid in carnosine. Why not just go with that
Because he is looking to increase CARN for performance gains.

Here's why you wouldn't take histidine:

Histidine is already present in high concentrations in muscle, while Beta-Alanine is only present only in small amounts. Researchers have determined that it is beta-alanine that drives carnosine synthesis, not histidine. Since this has been proven repeatedly in research, there is no need to supplement with extra histidine to increase carnosine levels. There are potentially some select populations like vegans, vegetarians or the elderly that may not get enough histidine in their diets and are thus deficient, which may compromise optimal carnosine levels. But, I still wouldn't recommend taking just extra histidine with Beta-Alanine. Instead, I would recommend that these groups simply bump up their total protein intake which will in turn solve their possible histidine deficiency. For the majority of healthy people, only Beta –Alanine is needed as histidine deficiency is rare and no extra supplementation is needed to increase carnosine concentrations.

For the bodybuilding community,with our high protein diets and protein powders we take, taking extra histidine is basically a moot point.