Best PWO shake for cycling

Cannon454

Awards
I have a friend that asked me what would be the best PWO shake for cycling. He struggles to get enough calories in pre-ride and will bonk. He has resorted to weight gainers and crappy food just to keep the calories high enough. Thoughts:think:

Thanks
Cannon

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
carbs and protein

I'm a health fitness major (graduating this may) and so far the research suggests eating 1 gram of carb per kilogram of bodyweight (I prefer just lean body weight) ASAP afterwards along with protein. The ratio can be either 4:1 or 3:1 for carbs:protein. Surprisingly the type of carb doesnt seem to have a significant effect on glycogen resynthesis. I usually go 50/50 with high and low glycemic carbs. He should eat this formula every hour for four hours, or if he has to go to bed, then continue it in the morning.
(a kilogram is 2.2 lbs)
So a 200lb guy needs about 91 grams of carbs and 22-30 grams of protein

Also, before the ride diet should look like this

4 hours before - 4 grams carb/kilogram of bodweight
3 hours before - 3 grams carb/kilogram of bodyweight
2 " "
1" "
60-15min before - NOTHING, insulin response shuts off blood glucose usage as well as liver glycogen, and fat reserves, so muscle glycogen is used alot more and quicker = bonk.
During, he could have a sports drink of choice.

This doesnt mean he should eat every hour before, it's just a guideline for when he decides to eat beforehand, so like eating once or twice would work fine.

GO SPORT NUTRITION!! :head:

Cannon454

Awards
could you explain "60-15min before - NOTHING, insulin response shuts off blood glucose usage as well as liver glycogen, and fat reserves, so muscle glycogen is used alot more and quicker = bonk." this is a little over my head.

Thanks
Cannon:food:

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
I mean that within 60-15 min before the ride, he shouldnt eat any carbs because the insulin released when the carbs are digested will not allow him to use blood glucose, liver glycogen, or fats as fuel. It will only let him use muscle glycogen as a fuel so he'll run out of energry alot faster than he would if he hadnt eaten carbs. And the post workout nutrition is extremely important because it determines recovery and the ability to perform well for the next ride so dont forget to emphasize that.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I mean that within 60-15 min before the ride, he shouldnt eat any carbs because the insulin released when the carbs are digested will not allow him to use blood glucose, liver glycogen, or fats as fuel. It will only let him use muscle glycogen as a fuel so he'll run out of energry alot faster than he would if he hadnt eaten carbs. And the post workout nutrition is extremely important because it determines recovery and the ability to perform well for the next ride so dont forget to emphasize that.
That is false. He would not be using the blood glucose or liver glycogen to fuel his cycling anyway. Muscle glycogen is the fuel that he will be using. Blood glucose & liver glycogen are not accessible to muscle. ATP synthesis is happening on a cellular level inside the muscle. That is why "carb loading" is used for endurance sports such as cycling, triathlon, marathon. The idea is to load the muscle with glycogen.

Granted, blood glucose and liver stores can be used to replete muscle glycogen.

Last edited:
CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Well I know a few things about cycling. I just had the 7th fastest bike time in an Aquabike/Triathlon today :)

Need more info such as how long the rides are and what he is eating now. Also what supplements is he taking if any?

CROWLER

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with you. Aerobic glycolysis, or using carbs as the fuel for aerobic work bouts, is reliant on these three accesible sources: muscle glycogen, liver glycogen (which is carried by the blood in the form of blood glucose), and blood glucose. Granted muscle glycogen yields greater amounts of ATP per molecule, but the body will still use the glucose from the blood when glycogen levels reach 3gr/kg of bodyweight. The lower ATP yield from the glucose will then result in lower energy output. So if you eat 60-15 min before you only get to use muscle glycogen, which means you run out of energy a lot faster.
No offense, johnny21, but I was just tested on this topic.

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
crowler is right, the intensity and duration do play a huge role in what fuel sources are used during the activity.
Below 70% of his maximum heart rate and carbs arent even being used, I'm sorry that I assumed this was the case. If it is not then a regular diet before and after would be sufficient

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with you. Aerobic glycolysis, or using carbs as the fuel for aerobic work bouts, is reliant on these three accesible sources: muscle glycogen, liver glycogen (which is carried by the blood in the form of blood glucose), and blood glucose. Granted muscle glycogen yields greater amounts of ATP per molecule, but the body will still use the glucose from the blood when glycogen levels reach 3gr/kg of bodyweight. The lower ATP yield from the glucose will then result in lower energy output. So if you eat 60-15 min before you only get to use muscle glycogen, which means you run out of energy a lot faster.
No offense, johnny21, but I was just tested on this topic.
No offense taken. Tested on the subject or not, blood glucose is not the source. Blood glucose and liver glycogen will be used to replete muscle glycogen.

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I think there is just a disconnect in our communication.

I agree with you that high CHO meals immediately before can result in hypoglycemia & abdominal discomfort during start of event. But I still believe that the muscle glycogen is the primary source for locomoting muscles.

fireoverture

Awards
perhaps I will make a fool of myself

Perhaps I will make a fool of myself by saying this, but, I will say it anyway. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have no degrees, or any scientific knowledge, but, I have cycled a few times and this seemed to work for me.

The third day out from the event I will stop eating carbohydrates and try to get rid of whatever "glycogen??" that is contained in the muscles. Usually this results in me looking rather "small and flat". However I do keep protein intake very high. The day before, or starting the morning of, if the event is late evening, I eat tons of oats, brown rice, and good slow carbs rather frequently, as it seems the body swells up. This seems to help somehow by adding more "glycogen??" back into the body. About 15 mins out I have some Cytomax and about 4 Tablespoons of BCAAS.

I could be completely in error here, as I have no clue what I am talking about, but I do know that when I have done this, I have had decent energy while cycling.

Immediately afterwards, I tend to just have 60 grams of protein with BCAAS, a bagel and some Cytomax. Also, 5-10 g of Glutamine. Then in about 30 minutes I have a decent sized meal.

Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth... if they help, I'm glad, if they don't, I hope someone has a good answer for you.

-T

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps I will make a fool of myself by saying this, but, I will say it anyway. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have no degrees, or any scientific knowledge, but, I have cycled a few times and this seemed to work for me.

The third day out from the event I will stop eating carbohydrates and try to get rid of whatever "glycogen??" that is contained in the muscles. Usually this results in me looking rather "small and flat". However I do keep protein intake very high. The day before, or starting the morning of, if the event is late evening, I eat tons of oats, brown rice, and good slow carbs rather frequently, as it seems the body swells up. This seems to help somehow by adding more "glycogen??" back into the body. About 15 mins out I have some Cytomax and about 4 Tablespoons of BCAAS.

I could be completely in error here, as I have no clue what I am talking about, but I do know that when I have done this, I have had decent energy while cycling.

Immediately afterwards, I tend to just have 60 grams of protein with BCAAS, a bagel and some Cytomax. Also, 5-10 g of Glutamine. Then in about 30 minutes I have a decent sized meal.

Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth... if they help, I'm glad, if they don't, I hope someone has a good answer for you.

-T
Sounds like an informal version of "carb loading" It is effective. Fuller feeling due to more glycogen and water in muscle.

fireoverture

Awards
hey im no scientist...lol

well .. I'm no scientist, but does it check out scientifically? I mean logically to me.. the body will get complacent at eating a standard diet... so when you remove the carbs it usually gets... it will be more efficient at sucking the carbs up whenever it gets them the next time.. and will be less reluctant to just let go of them. That was my thinking. I like thinking of diet like training... sometimes there are plateaus.. so in order to avoid a plateau.. you hit the muscle/diet from all angles.. but creating "change". I have wondered if this works as well with protein, as I remember when I was younger getting this "fullness" in my muscles when I was a kid, and sampled a protein packet. It seems when the body got given this "extra protein"... more like "brought out of deficiency"... it soaked up this protein. So, I was thinking, why not decrease protein intake for a day or two... "pray that the catabolic effects are not too strong" and keep carbs high, to spare muscle... and then... on the third day ... slam a bunch of protein. Any thoughts on this idea as well?... "Protein Loading??"...lol. I never tried it, cuz I didn't know if it would be more catabolic or anabolic. At least when you restrict carbs for a day or two they body will eat some fat, as long as protein intake is high.

Just my thoughts. Curious what you "scientists" out there think.

-T

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I believe I get what you are saying. The presence of insulin will hinder nutrient utilization.

Aurora_Borealis

Awards
The best thing for PWO for cycling is chocolate milk.

Cannon454

Awards
First off, I apologize for dissapearing this weekend and not giving any further input. I got food poisoning late Friday night wasn't really up for doing anything other than going to the hospital for an IV.

Ok the guy is 43years old 6'2'' and about 185pounds. Rides will last from 45min to 3 hours depending. He is currently only taking whey protein and a multi.

Hope this helps