No grapefruit with RRY?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I was recently told to not eat or drink grapefruit while using red rice yeast, however no explaination was given. I cant find anything on the net about this. Anyone else ever hear this?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I have been warned about eating or drinking Grapefruit when taking certain medications. I think it has something to do with the Type of acid that is in grapefruit and how it reacts when combined with stomach acid and other products.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I think it has to do w/a chemical in grapefruit that suppresses a liver enzyme that breaks things down. Basically, you will get waaaaay more of the active into your system which could result in a toxic dose. There are several supps that contain this chemical but I don't think I'd ever mess w/ it.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I think it has to do w/a chemical in grapefruit that suppresses a liver enzyme that breaks things down. Basically, you will get waaaaay more of the active into your system which could result in a toxic dose.
That's it there. Grapefruit contains bergamottin, which inhibits an enzyme (I think CYP-450) responsible for breaking down substances in the liver. It also container narinigin, which can extend the 1/2 life of some medications (not sure which, but I believe many stimulants would be on that list).

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep looking and post if I find any additional information on it.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so if i mix my no xplode with grapefruit juice ill lose my freaking mind?