Should one 'cycle' beta alanine?

RexGrandis

RexGrandis

Awards
Hi there,

Is there any point to 'cycling' beta alanine, or could one take it endlessly?:good:

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
You could keep it constant, but I would cycle it personally, like most things... 8 week cycles is what I have done.

mbunnell

mbunnell

Awards
I would also cycle it just so you keep seeing results from it. Sometimes your body will grow accustomed to the product after long periods of use with no breaks and you will stop noticing the affects as much.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Cycle it, but I've found that only a few (3-4) weeks off are needed to really appreciate the benefits when returning back on. I would follow a 8-10 week on, 3-4 week off protocol.

Workin

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the thinking behind cycling it? Carnosine would be a cumulative effect, and having a constant supply (non-depleted) I would think would be the most effective.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
What is the thinking behind cycling it? Carnosine would be a cumulative effect, and having a constant supply (non-depleted) I would think would be the most effective.
Well, it's not readily supplied in appreciable amounts via diet like say creatine, although I know some who cycle that as well. Therefore it MIGHT be more beneficial IMO, as like with most things your body can adapt. So perhaps it's just psychological after all like creatine, but I know J-Rod would cycle through 3 bottles before taking a break. I have just followed suit.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree there is no need to cycle Bete Alaine.

verner

verner

Team Nutra Ninja Monkey Trainer
Awards
  • Established
I agree with you Dsade. It seems like everyone wants to cycle everything nowadays. I belive in most people, its not that your body doesnt get used to it, but your mind does. With carnosine levels built up to peak capacity, you will stop "feeling" different. So people assume its not working anymore. The fact is, its working the same, just not yielding the net benifit it was when your body is building up its stores.
Imo, the only reason to cycle most supps, is to save money and when trying new things to differentiate the effects of each supp.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
I like the idea of using it as a pre/post workout staple.

In my pre/post workout, I like to ALWAYS use:
Creatine
Taurine
Leucine
Beta alanine

IMO there is no need to cycle these, especially since they are only used on workout days (at least by me)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like the idea of using it as a pre/post workout staple.

In my pre/post workout, I like to ALWAYS use:
Creatine
Taurine
Leucine
Beta alanine

IMO there is no need to cycle these, especially since they are only used on workout days (at least by me)
There is some indication that Taurine and Beta-Alanine compete for absorption. I would take BA PRE-workout, and Taurine POST.

You might also want to add some bulk Citrulline malate for a super sick preworkout combo.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
There is some indication that Taurine and Beta-Alanine compete for absorption. I would take BA PRE-workout, and Taurine POST.

You might also want to add some bulk Citrulline malate for a super sick preworkout combo.
Hey Dsade, can you post a link to that data? I'd be very interested in reading it. Looking good in your avy bro :thumbsup:

Workin

RexGrandis

RexGrandis

Awards
I was under the impression that it dosen't really matter when you take beta-alanine since it will just be converted into carnisone either way, so i take 1.5g in the morning and 1.5g before bed. Is there anything wrong with this?

I've also heard that taurine and BA compete for absorptions, and i've also heard that BA depletes taurine.

Also, while we are on the subject of cycling, what about citrulline malate? Is there any point in cycling that?:yawn:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was under the impression that it dosen't really matter when you take beta-alanine since it will just be converted into carnisone either way, so i take 1.5g in the morning and 1.5g before bed. Is there anything wrong with this?

I've also heard that taurine and BA compete for absorptions, and i've also heard that BA depletes taurine.

Also, while we are on the subject of cycling, what about citrulline malate? Is there any point in cycling that?:yawn:
From my knowledge Its best to take it alone either an hour after a meal or an hour before a meal. Empty Stomach but if you eat every two to three hours I say one hour after a meal or before.

Best to wait thirty minutes to forty five minutes, at least, before taking taurine , or any other food or supplement for that matter.

I have no clue about citrulline malate because Ive never expiremented with it.

RexGrandis

RexGrandis

Awards
Best to wait thirty minutes to forty five minutes, at least, before taking taurine , or any other food or supplement for that matter.

I have no clue about citrulline malate because Ive never expiremented with it.
what? you've never used citrulline malate? :smite: dude, it's like creatine! :hammer:

anyway, I heard that you should take beta-alanine with meals consisting or proteins because it combines with the L-histidine to form carnisone. Now i'm even more confused. :icon_lol:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope Ive heard hype on it but never took the time to research it.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
There always seems to be conflicting studies about absorptions.

What I like to do is use pretty hefty doses for my powdered bulk supps. 5-6 grams of BA is good. 5 grams of taurine...etc. Even if 50% gets absorbed, its still a good dose.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Hi there,

Is there any point to 'cycling' beta alanine, or could one take it endlessly?:good:
Performance Beta-Alanine Study's going up to 12 weeks, show Beta-Alanine continues to significantly increases CARN concentrations as well as performance gains. As the research is clear on this, I would say, try and stay on Beta-Alanine consistently for atleast for 3 months.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established

Taken from something I wrote on another forum a while ago.

There are two potential issue with Beta-Alanine and taurine.

1. Decreased Beta-Alanine uptake due to them both sharing the same transporter, which in tern would decrease BA's ability to increase CARN concentrations.
2. Taurine loss, as many people jump all over a few animal studies.

Anyway, here are the answers:

The supposed taurine competition issue is also NOT an issue, as clearly stated by the pioneer of Beta-Alanine research Dr.Harris. He states in his most recent study that the increase in muscle CARN with B-Alanine supplementation did not appear to be reduced by the presence of taurine. If you do not believe his word on Beta-Alanine, I don't know what to tell you, as he is THE worlds authority on Beta-Alanine research related to exercise performance. Regardless, I will be going into more detail on this subject likely later this week.

The rat studies that showed beta-alanine decreased the taurine content in the myocardium by half in, were using doses that are over 100 times higher than the highest Beta-alanine studies of 6.4 grams a day. These rat studies aren't even relevant to how we use Beta-Alanine in terms of dosage.

The taurine loss in the performance beta-alanine studies is insignificant and I personally don't see any additional supplementation needed, especially with the amount of protein the majority of us are supplementing on here with.

Dr.Tallon who you may have seen debating in our faq thread, put it into context quite nicely, when he said a glass of milk would replace the amount of taurine loss shown in the beta-alanine studies. He has his PhD in carnosine metabolism, so I give his comments quite a bit of credibility

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
World authorities, world schm-aurities! I snort my BA like a man. 4 lines pre workout gets me ready to lift.

Just kidding.

I heard that BA should be taken with high GI carbs to aid in transport...any truth to that? I've tried it with just water and with gatorade and seemed to feel the "tingle" more after gatorade.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
World authorities, world schm-aurities! I snort my BA like a man. 4 lines pre workout gets me ready to lift.

Just kidding.

I heard that BA should be taken with high GI carbs to aid in transport...any truth to that? I've tried it with just water and with gatorade and seemed to feel the "tingle" more after gatorade.
Heh. :)

Yes, there was an exact study that compared Beta-Alanine+CHO against just Beta-Alanine.

Highly summarized:
The researchers found the group that took the Beta-Alanine+CHO increased their performance gains in HALF the time the Beta-Alanine group only did.

high GI carbs spike insulin, insulin increases amino acid uptake, Beta-Alanine is an amino acid. :)

I now have my 20 posts and am off to post our FAQ thread on our Beta-Alanine product IntraXCell. :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Taken from something I wrote on another forum a while ago.

There are two potential issue with Beta-Alanine and taurine.

1. Decreased Beta-Alanine uptake due to them both sharing the same transporter, which in tern would decrease BA's ability to increase CARN concentrations.
2. Taurine loss, as many people jump all over a few animal studies.

Anyway, here are the answers:

The supposed taurine competition issue is also NOT an issue, as clearly stated by the pioneer of Beta-Alanine research Dr.Harris. He states in his most recent study that the increase in muscle CARN with B-Alanine supplementation did not appear to be reduced by the presence of taurine. If you do not believe his word on Beta-Alanine, I don't know what to tell you, as he is THE worlds authority on Beta-Alanine research related to exercise performance. Regardless, I will be going into more detail on this subject likely later this week.

The rat studies that showed beta-alanine decreased the taurine content in the myocardium by half in, were using doses that are over 100 times higher than the highest Beta-alanine studies of 6.4 grams a day. These rat studies aren't even relevant to how we use Beta-Alanine in terms of dosage.

The taurine loss in the performance beta-alanine studies is insignificant and I personally don't see any additional supplementation needed, especially with the amount of protein the majority of us are supplementing on here with.

Dr.Tallon who you may have seen debating in our faq thread, put it into context quite nicely, when he said a glass of milk would replace the amount of taurine loss shown in the beta-alanine studies. He has his PhD in carnosine metabolism, so I give his comments quite a bit of credibility
Thanks for clearing that up, this has been an issue that I have not had the proper time to research, and which I feel is imporant, given the extreme usefulness of both compounds.

Reps for you.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for clearing that up, this has been an issue that I have not had the proper time to research, and which I feel is imporant, given the extreme usefulness of both compounds.

Reps for you.
My pleasure.. :)

The rumor has been spread around for quite some time on the various forums, one in particular,:).. not this one.

Eventhough, we pretty much answer most the Beta-Alanine Q's on the various boards, I had thought we could leave this ONE question to be answered by the actual companies that have products that contain both Beta-Alanine and taurine, as ours(IntraXCell) does not contain taurine.

Unfortunately, they could never defend their rationale for putting the two together or give an answer even remotely accurate, so I just answered it for them :)

I actually have a VERY simple yet effective explanation on how the answer could be easily figured out, but I am waiting on something to be released first.

As soon as it is, I will post my answer here again.

Regardless, no issue's between the two at any level of significance.

I too am a big fan of taurine as well of course Beta-Alanine.:)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My pleasure.. :)

The rumor has been spread around for quite some time on the various forums, one in particular,:).. not this one.

Eventhough, we pretty much answer most the Beta-Alanine Q's on the various boards, I had thought we could leave this ONE question to be answered by the actual companies that have products that contain both Beta-Alanine and taurine, as ours(IntraXCell) does not contain taurine.

Unfortunately, they could never defend their rationale for putting the two together or give an answer even remotely accurate, so I just answered it for them :)

I actually have a VERY simple yet effective explanation on how the answer could be easily figured out, but I am waiting on something to be released first.

As soon as it is, I will post my answer here again.

Regardless, no issue's between the two at any level of significance.

I too am a big fan of taurine as well of course Beta-Alanine.:)
I like your style, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

Anyway, good to see someone with coherent explanations...welcome.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
I like your style, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

Anyway, good to see someone with coherent explanations...welcome.
Hey, thanks alot dsade. :)

Yes please do and don't worry about getting spammed to death, :) as we literally only send out a newsletter once ever 2-3 months.

If you are interested, there are two article's on Pre-Workout supplementation on our website, related the ingredients in our product SteelEdge.

Part one is on central fatigue and part two is on peripheral fatigue and exercise performance.

If you just have time to read one, I recommend the peripheral fatigue article. I much preferred witting it and find it a much more interesting read. :)

Also, if you are reading my posts and are concerned that the flow and grammar in the article's will be crap(understandably so), don't worry, I have a very good editor. :)

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
thanks for that athletic edge. Good info...i was a little worries about the taurine/ba controversy aswell.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
thanks for that athletic edge. Good info...i was a little worries about the taurine/ba controversy aswell.
No problem, I am happy to kill off some forum folklore. :)

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
By the way, for anyone interested in reading more on Beta-Alanine and our product IntraXCell, check out our thread below.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/athletic-edge-nutrition/62412-athletic-edge-nutrition.html

We look to bring much of the information over from our main Beta-Alanine thread from another forum to really build it up. Hopefully in time it can become THE place on AM to learn more about Beta-Alanine/IntraXCell.

Anyone is welcome to post related questions there, it's not going to be your typical FAQ, I can assure you. :)

RexGrandis

RexGrandis

Awards
Yeah, thanks for using my thread to advertise your overpriced product.

Does anyone know about cycling Citrulline Malate?