TTA Ineffective for Weight Loss?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Got this abstract from another board. Check the bolded statement. I've run a PubMed search and couldn't really find a justification for this statement. Anyone else know why they would say this? It would lead me to believe TTA was ineffective for fat loss.

Also found this, which I didn't rea fully but seemed like a nice find.

J Physiol Biochem. 2006 Jun;62(2):137-47. Links
The body fat-lowering effect of conjugated linoleic acid: a comparison between animal and human studies.

* Navarro V,
* Fernandez-Quintela A,
* Churruca I,
* Portillo MP.

Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Pais Vasco, Paseo de la Universidad 7, 01006 Vitoria, Spain.

Different reasons which justify differences between rodents and humans in body fat reduction produced by conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) could be proposed. The doses used in humans are lower than those used in rodents. Human experiments have been performed with CLA isomer mixtures instead of isolated isomers. The variable dilution of t-10, c-12, the active isomer, among different preparations might explain the reduced responsiveness in humans. Diet composition may modulate CLA effects on body fat accumulation. As far as human studies are concerned, a specific dietary pattern has not been established. As a result differences among studies and also among subjects in the same study are likely. In rodents, the effects of CLA vary with genotype, suggesting that genetic predisposition to fat accumulation can play an important role in the effectiveness of CLA. Human volunteers with different body mass index have participated in the published studies and even in the same experiment. So, differences in lipid metabolism among subjects could help to explain the discrepancies observed in the literature. Age and maturity may also be crucial. Experiments using rodents have been conducted with growing animals and there is little evidence of CLA effectiveness in adult animals. By contrast, human studies have been performed with adults. Inhibition of lipogenesis in white adipose tissue is one of the mechanisms which have been proposed to explain the body-fat lowering effect of CLA, but lipogenesis in this tissue is very low in humans. Another mechanism suggested is increased fatty acid oxidation in the liver associated with peroxisome proliferation, but humans are relatively insensitive to this effect.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
CLA and TTA is the same thing?...b/c arent they talking about CLA

Kerruptt

Awards
CLA and TTA is the same thing?...b/c arent they talking about CLA
One of TTA's primary 'good' effects is peroxisome proliferation. Not the only one but still important. I saw this on pubmed today and was also interested.

I'm not sure this qualifies TTA as ineffective but it is interesting considering how much proliferation was talked about when TTA products first showed up.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well, something in the TTA made me drop 12 pounds of goo. That's one hell of a placebo effect, lol.