Question about Glutamine

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
Well im starting to just take bulk glutamine and add it to my pre-workout drink and then take my post workout drink..and then add more glutamine to my post workout protein...is this ok? i heard dont take it same time as creatine but i was told to take it before and after...i take 5 Grams before 10 Grams after and another 5 grams before i go to bed...i plan on bumping up my Grams this week

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
wow never mind...it took me about 5 seconds to find this lol i guess its ok to take them both at the same time

for future reference if any1 else is wondering if its safe to take glutamine and creatine together

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
Still a good question East.Up till reading that ast link I had always believed that they both competed for entry into the muscle if comsumed at the same time. I was only tonite telling a young rocky at my local gym not to do so.

Always something new to learn. :goodpost:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Save your money on the Glutamine. If you need to spend the money, get a book on nutrition & metabolism or possible sports nutrition.

No benefit from oral supplementation for resistance training has been evidenced. I am not sure that oral supplementation for any reason has been proven, just parenteral.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Save your money on the Glutamine. If you need to spend the money, get a book on nutrition & metabolism or possible sports nutrition.

No benefit from oral supplementation for resistance training has been evidenced. I am not sure that oral supplementation for any reason has been proven, just parenteral.
Yup. Big ol' waste of money for weightlifting.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established

i use glutamine for its alkaline forming properties so i wouldnt call it totally useless...

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
if its such a waste why do so many ppl take it?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because they bought it. And before you ask, they bought it because companies sell it. And before you ask again, companies sell it because they believe that more people will buy it that it costs to manufacture. It's the same reason so many people take nitric oxide products.

A few studies have shown that it works wonders for people with AIDS and people who were in really bad traumas, but aside from that, it's a pretty useless supplement for normal people, and not very much gets by your GI track. So unless you have AIDS, or recently fell off a motorcycle, you're probably better off selling it in dime bags, claiming to high school kids that it's coke.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
i use glutamine for its alkaline forming properties so i wouldnt call it totally useless...
I didn't say it was useless, just not necessary. Alka seltzer in gatorade or any other liquid can accomplish what your looking to do and it is pretty cost effective.?. Good enough for the New England Patriots it should be good enough for most anyone.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
You can't be serious.

Some people do not take the time to learn and believe everything they read.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
so dont even worry about buying glutamine next time? what else could i take to help aid in recovery...besides..sleep...good diet/protein after workout yadayada

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I didn't say it was useless, just not necessary. Alka seltzer in gatorade or any other liquid can accomplish what your looking to do and it is pretty cost effective.?. Good enough for the New England Patriots it should be good enough for most anyone.
very true and thats a good point. cant i achieve the same result also by consuming carbonated beverages? just asking cause i think the Ph of the body is too overlooked and underrated.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so dont even worry about buying glutamine next time? what else could i take to help aid in recovery...besides..sleep...good diet/protein after workout yadayada
Time works pretty good.

Everybody is always trying to get bigger faster, when they don't even see how slow of a process all this really is.

I was reading "Heavy Duty" by Mike Mentzer, when he pointed out how eager and stupid a lot of BBer's are about gaining mass, and really put things into perspective. For this example's sake, I'm gonna say you're 180lbs, East. Ok, so if you were to put on 10lbs LBM annually, by age 25 you would weigh 255lbs. To show you how this compares to some of the pro's, this is equal to 10lbs more than Rich Gaspari's off-season weight (when he competed), 15lbs more than Milos Sarcev's competition weight, King Kamali's competition weight, or 5lbs less than Dorian Yate's competition weight. All in all, if you gain only 10lbs LBM per year, you could very easily go pro.

We hear stories of people bragging about gaining 10-20 lbs off some non-steroidal supplement in less than two months. Dream on. Work hard, eat right, and in time everything will all fall into place.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
very true and thats a good point. cant i achieve the same result also by consuming carbonated beverages? just asking cause i think the Ph of the body is too overlooked and underrated.
I do not think so. carbonated beverages typically have a lower PH (acidic) and will not work the same.

Actually, first you need to understand how something like alka seltzer increases alkalinity. You consume it--> raises PH of stomch-->signals to produce HCL--> byproduct KHCO3 or NaHCO3 released into blood. And there you have it.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Rest, diet, appropriate workout. I just started doing some reading re: HMB and LBM preservation but not enough to formulate an educated opinion. I also have all these damn pharmaceutical nutrition salespeople trying to push arginine lately but I have not found time/desire to research correctly.

Last edited:
thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also have all these damn pharmaceutical nutrition slaespeople trying to push arginine lately but have not found time/desire to research correctly.
Right now they really don't need/want to. So many people are buying arginine-based products, why risk it with a reputable study that would hinder sales?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I do not think so. carbonated beverages typically have a lower PH (acidic) and will not work the same.

Actually, first you need to understand how something like alka seltzer increases alkalinity. You consume it--> raises PH of stomch-->signals to produce HCL--> byproduct KHCO3 or NaHCO3 released into blood. And there you have it.
ok, thats way more complex than my thought process. i was thinking that the carbonation releases calcium from bones to serve as an antacid. thus increasing alkilinity. i have much more faith in your conclusion though.

J

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt stop taking glutamine. It has good benefits on your intestinal tract which can only help you absorb all the food that you eat. Its cheap as chips anyway so it cant hurt. This is the first time ive heard of glutamine being not very beneficial. I thought it was a pretty good supplement.

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to differ when people or studies say that glutamine use is worthless.I've used alot of supplements in the 20yrs that I've been training and glutamine is a supplement that for me has helped reduce doms and when taken 15-20gms a day produced a cell voluminizing effect & increase in strength.

So as long as I can see positive from gultamine use I am more than happy to waste my money on it.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
As a man thinketh, so shall it be :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok, thats way more complex than my thought process. i was thinking that the carbonation releases calcium from bones to serve as an antacid. thus increasing alkilinity. i have much more faith in your conclusion though.

It's not the calcium that serves as the antacid, as calcium is a cation. We need anions to suck up the excessive protons for an antacid effect. We see an antacid effect in calcium carbonate because it gives us the conjugate base (anion) of carbonic acid (HCO3-). Conjugate bases, in the presence of an acid, cause a buffering effect. This means that when more protons are introduced to lower the pH, the carbonate ions will attach themselves to the incoming protons, helping maintian a stable pH.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I'll look for the studies that this text alludes to:
A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 31 people ranging from 18 to 24 years of age evaluated the potential benefits of glutamine as a sports supplement for improving response to resistance training (weight lifting).35 Participants received either placebo or glutamine at a dose of 0.9 g per kg of lean tissue mass. After 6 weeks of resistance training, participants taking glutamine showed no relative improvement in performance, composition, or muscle protein degradation.

Similarly, negative results were seen in a small double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of weightlifters using a dose of 0.3 g per kg of total body weight.36

35. Candow DG, Chilibeck PD, Burke DG, et al. Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001;86:142–149.

36. Antonio J, Sanders MS, Kalman D, et al. The effects of high-dose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16:157–160.

vince spider

vince spider

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to differ when people or studies say that glutamine use is worthless.I've used alot of supplements in the 20yrs that I've been training and glutamine is a supplement that for me has helped reduce doms and when taken 15-20gms a day produced a cell voluminizing effect & increase in strength.

So as long as I can see positive from gultamine use I am more than happy to waste my money on it.
:goodpost:
i couldnt agree more tsb, ive been using glutamine for the last 2 months and have noticed a big diffence in recovery.
i got my glutamine off nutra planet in bulk and consider it money well spent:thumbsup:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:goodpost:
i couldnt agree more tsb, ive been using glutamine for the last 2 months and have noticed a big diffence in recovery.
i got my glutamine off nutra planet in bulk and consider it money well spent:thumbsup:

I'm so very happy you guys, the fact that you were able to make gains while taking a glutamine supp means so much to me. I'm also very glad to know that you were able to make such reliable, non-quantitative conclusions without the need of experimental control. Truly a godsend for the science community.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
I'm so very happy you guys, the fact that you were able to make gains while taking a glutamine supp means so much to me. I'm also very glad to know that you were able to make such reliable, non-quantitative conclusions without the need of experimental control. Truly a godsend for the science community.
dude they are just stating their observations...oh well they didnt have it with a control?..they added it to their supplement line and possibly once they added it they started having better recovery dont have to be such a ****ing ****

D

Ddono25

Awards
Anecdotally, I also have noticed better physical recovery when supplementing glutamine pre-wo, post-wo and at night. I was quite interested in it when I first heard all of the claims about recovery, anabolism, etc. When researching more I found the anti-glutamine articles and actual science and decided that it was all hype without having tried it. Ended up getting a kilo of it for free so I tried the 5 grams/3 times a day. Within about 1-2 weeks my recovery was noticeably improved. I would even say my CNS recovery was improved. No negative sides to speak of. Other than protein and omega-3's, glutamine was the only other supp I was using. I did not notice much in the way of strength or muscle growth as some have claimed, but I never felt the urge to drink alcohol for the two months I was using it, which at that time in my life was very peculiar.

All in all I knew the stuff wouldn't work when I started using it, but I still got something out of it. Could have been placebo. I might have been glutamine deficient. Either way my experience with it was nothing but positive.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude they are just stating their observations...oh well they didnt have it with a control?..they added it to their supplement line and possibly once they added it they started having better recovery dont have to be such a ****ing ****

What I'm getting at is that they're discrediting several credible studies on the grounds that they "feel better" when they take it. I'm sorry, but there's a big difference between someone saying "This stuff doesn't work, and here's the data to prove it." and "This stuff works because I like it."

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
What I'm getting at is that they're discrediting several credible studies on the grounds that they "feel better" when they take it. I'm sorry, but there's a big difference between someone saying "This stuff doesn't work, and here's the data to prove it." and "This stuff works because I like it."
yes i get what u r saying but u dont have to be an ass about it...its not like what they said changed my view

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
What I was trying to say was that for me this supplement has a positive effect when taken.In fact when money was tight I would often cycle it with creatine i.e.2 months of creatine then 2 months of glutamine.The results I saw with glutamine were very similar to the creatine.Also I'm not some newbe to training & supplements, so to say I'm judging glutamine on a "feel better" basis isn't so.

As far as credible studies go I look at HMB as being the classic example of looking great in the studies but never really delivering in the real world.So if I was to follow your line of thinking then because HMB has been shown to work in some studies then it must be so........not for me it wasn't.

vince spider

vince spider

Awards
  • Established
What I was trying to say was that for me this supplement has a positive effect when taken.In fact when money was tight I would often cycle it with creatine i.e.2 months of creatine then 2 months of glutamine.The results I saw with glutamine were very similar to the creatine.Also I'm not some newbe to training & supplements, so to say I'm judging glutamine on a "feel better" basis isn't so.

As far as credible studies go I look at HMB as being the classic example of looking great in the studies but never really delivering in the real world.So if I was to follow your line of thinking then because HMB has been shown to work in some studies then it must be so........not for me it wasn't.
:goodpost: :thumbsup:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's what I could dig up off Pubmed that looks at HMB for athletic use:

There's more (but I think you get the gist of it). And since you're probably not going to take the time to read any of these, I'll sum it up for you: HMB does not look good on paper. Use on cancer patients, trauma victims, and lab rats is not the same as use on trained athletes, which is where both glutamine and HMB look good. Supplements are a big (and growing) industry and if you can pull some data out of your butt, showing that your product might work, you can convice people to buy it.

As far as your glutamine experience, one man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. In the future, try to be more specific when talking about your experiences with supplements, so a**hole's like me don't flame you for reporting what sounds like a placebo effect.