How to improve your vertical?

mrcoolboy15

Awards
Anyone have any advice on how to improve your jumping?

Foster

Awards
I don't get what this has to do with supplements?

mrcoolboy15

Awards
well then in other words what supplements would help me increase my muscle mass?

JJC

Awards
  • Established
I agree...

But to help answer it: deadlifts! Believe it or not. Power lifters/Olympis lifters often have higher verticals than basketball players! You generate your jumping ability mostly from your hips, hip flexors, glutes, etc. Try doing deadlifts and explode upwards and really thrust your hips forward. You can even try getting up onto your toes when you pull the weight up.

Also, when doing squats, explode upwards and onto your toes as well.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Take creatine and research plyometrics in the Exercise Science forum.

glsa17

Awards
  • Established
plyometrics - bounds and jumps

work your legs unilaterally - one at a time.

train with an emphasis on explosiveness - use lighter weight and focus on moving the weight, as quick as you can while still in control, using fast cadence.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree...

But to help answer it: deadlifts! Believe it or not. Power lifters/Olympis lifters often have higher verticals than basketball players! You generate your jumping ability mostly from your hips, hip flexors, glutes, etc. Try doing deadlifts and explode upwards and really thrust your hips forward. You can even try getting up onto your toes when you pull the weight up.

Also, when doing squats, explode upwards and onto your toes as well.
As the others stated, Plyometrics is a very successful way to go about doing this. I have to say, though explosive concentrics are good for further generating power, going onto your toes as you are doing squats?? That is only slightly dangerous.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
There was an article/training routine to help increase the height you jump but I can't remember the name...ultimately I think plyometrics is your best bet.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
As the others stated, Plyometrics is a very successful way to go about doing this. I have to say, though explosive concentrics are good for further generating power, going onto your toes as you are doing squats?? That is only slightly dangerous.
Not necessarily toes...but squat down parallel, push up through your heels, then explode up to the balls of your feet so that your heels leave the ground slightly. Clearly you could not do this at your max weight. Use good judgment....

It's more about finding ways to develop explosive power. Clearly you should be doing plyometrics and various jumping routines, core lifts like squats and deads, and even sprints. What I said above is just a variation of an important exercise. But with every lift, exercise caution. If you don't agree, then alright.

psycho

psycho

Awards
no supplement is gonna help your vertical

those jump shoes, box jumping, and short hard sprints are what you need.. Those fast twitch muscle fibers are very important.. Add some heavy calf raises in there to get a balanced calf workout.

I was dunking a basketball at 5' 10" at 14 years old...

brandon615

Awards
jump sole, w/ the plyometric workout routine.
and i cant believe ppl havent sed power cleans yet...if done correctly this workout can get u explosive leg power.