no link- Optimum nutrition fish oil

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As long as there are at least 300mg of omega 3 per softgel, it is ok. I think that the NOW brand would be cheaper and is just as good of a product.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Optimum is a pretty good quality supp company. Their protein is pretty top notch. If you have it I'd say it's good.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
Good company, but depends on the amount. I like NOW products the best

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually just go with walley world's brand. Quick and easy when out getting all your other food. Listen to what Rodja said, and as long as it has 300mg Omega 3 your good to go.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive used it.

It was great priced, the flax oil too. I just wish a board sponsor carried it. Its a good product in my book.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is what I take. under $3 for 100 caps. And yes it has 300mg of omega 3.
Unfortunately none of the board sponsors carry it.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive requested it many times on the nutraplanet forum, i guess no one can see how great of a deal it is. I wish there was something on the same level costs per pill that carried 5x as many.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think custom has bulk fish oil caps as cheap as optimum with the same or almost the same profil. Haven't tried it yet though.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I personally like omega guard. It has 1000mg of omega 3's wich provides a full spectrum of seven pure omega 3 fatty acids naturally found in fish.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
ON is a top-notch company. You can trust anything they make.

That said, fish oil is pretty basic stuff, and most brands will meet label claims. You want a brand with a higher level of EPA and DHA, since these are the actives. But beyond that, just choose whatever brand is cheapest.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ON is not the best. I will not get in to it but you want to trust a reputable company with published studies. If you don't think so I will make fish oil and sell it to you for dirt cheep. :)

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
ON is not the best. I will not get in to it but you want to trust a reputable company with published studies. If you don't think so I will make fish oil and sell it to you for dirt cheep. :)
1. ON is a damn reputable company.

2. I agree with looking to clinical research, but trials performed with X dose of EPA and Y dose of DHA will apply to any brand of fish oil, so long as it also provides X dose of EPA and Y dose of DHA.

3. There isn't a lot of variation in the quality of fish oil. How do I know? My supplement company released a product containing Omega-3 fish oil about a year ago. We analyzed the EPA and DHA content of fish oils from numerous overseas and domestic suppliers. You know what? Just about all met their label claims, meaning beyond the variation in percentages of EPA and DHA there isn't a lot of variation in the quality of fish oil. Any brand will work.

No brand of fish oil is "the best", unless you are looking for a very specific and unusual ratio of EPA-to-DHA. Most brands contain a 2:1 or 3:2 ratio, which is perfectly suited for our purposes, making no brand "better" or "worse", only more or less expensive.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
ON is a great company, but I wouldnt use there fish oil, not because its not good, but theres better fish oil out there.

You want something that contains about 10-30iu of natural vitamin e, sometimes it will only be listed in the small print that it contains vitamin e and not in active ingrediants.

You want one that goes through distilation, and also one with atleast 300mg of omega 3 per gram. Prefebly although not so importantly, with a EPA/DHA ratio of 1.5/1 wich is the natural ratio.

The different types of Omega 3 Fish Oil

Cod liver oil

Is apparently what our Grandmas used to give us, though thankfully mine wasn't so kind.

It is still around, and it does contain some EPA and DHA, but it also contains the most contaminants and it's not really what us Zoners are referring to when we talk about fish oil. The following oils taken from the muscles of certain dark fleshed fishes are...

Health Food Grade fish oil

Is the commonest fish oil and typically contains 180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA per 1 gram capsule. Some include a little vitamin E - enough to act as a preservative but not enough to be a supplement.

Molecularly Distilled fish oil

Is oil that has been through an extra cleansing process thus contains less impurities. It generally contains similar concentrations of EPA and DHA to health grade oil. "Molecularly distilled" or "undergoes distillation" should be somewhere on the label.

Pharmaceutical Grade or Ultra Refined fish oil

Is oil concentrated and purified by an even more sophisticated distillation process and is the cleanest oil available. It typically contains 400mg of EPA and 200mg of DHA per 1 gram capsule. It's also available as a liquid.

It's a lot more expensive than health grade oil, but being more concentrated we don't need as much, which helps a bit.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This has the same profil than ON but this one is $17 for 120 caps and ON is less than $3 for 100.
what i was thinking...I never realized how cheap ON's fish oils were until i ran out and went to buy some non ON fish oil :)

glsa17

Awards
  • Established
There are better quality out there but for the price they are not too shabby. Both the fish oil and flax seed oil are fine.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Since you agree with me that there should be clinical research on a product, would I be correct to say that a product with published studies would best suit the boards needs?

1. ON is a damn reputable company.

2. I agree with looking to clinical research, but trials performed with X dose of EPA and Y dose of DHA will apply to any brand of fish oil, so long as it also provides X dose of EPA and Y dose of DHA.

3. There isn't a lot of variation in the quality of fish oil. How do I know? My supplement company released a product containing Omega-3 fish oil about a year ago. We analyzed the EPA and DHA content of fish oils from numerous overseas and domestic suppliers. You know what? Just about all met their label claims, meaning beyond the variation in percentages of EPA and DHA there isn't a lot of variation in the quality of fish oil. Any brand will work.

No brand of fish oil is "the best", unless you are looking for a very specific and unusual ratio of EPA-to-DHA. Most brands contain a 2:1 or 3:2 ratio, which is perfectly suited for our purposes, making no brand "better" or "worse", only more or less expensive.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Since you agree with me that there should be clinical research on a product, would I be correct to say that a product with published studies would best suit the boards needs?
If the studies are truly only relevant to that specific product, then yes. But with fish oil and its active components, EPA and DHA, you already have a tremendous body of research that can be applied generally to all fish oil products containing similar doses of EPA and DHA. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of published studies proving the benefits of fish oil for all sorts of issues (mental health, joints, weight loss, cardiovascular and cholesterol, etc). Most of these studies used the 3-2 or 2-1 ratio of EPA-DHA commonly found in most fish oils. As such, the important consideration is not which specific brand of fish oil you buy, but that you're taking fish oil in the doses that have been clinically demonstrated for the particular benefit you're seeking.

Provide a reference for the study and I'll take a look.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Would it be safe to say that a product with a published study is the best for the board compared to products with out studies on the product?
If the studies are truly only relevant to that specific product, then yes. But with fish oil and its active components, EPA and DHA, you already have a tremendous body of research that can be applied generally to all fish oil products containing similar doses of EPA and DHA. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of published studies proving the benefits of fish oil for all sorts of issues (mental health, joints, weight loss, cardiovascular and cholesterol, etc). Most of these studies used the 3-2 or 2-1 ratio of EPA-DHA commonly found in most fish oils. As such, the important consideration is not which specific brand of fish oil you buy, but that you're taking fish oil in the doses that have been clinically demonstrated for the particular benefit you're seeking.

Provide a reference for the study and I'll take a look.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Would it be safe to say that a product with a published study is the best for the board compared to products with out studies on the product?
You're not really listening to what I'm saying here. Yes, of course, it's always preferable to have a published study performed with the actual, specific product. But when it comes to fish oil, it simply doesn't matter that much, because:
1) There is already a tremendous body of research performed on fish oil
2) Fish oil extracts are consistent in quality and almost always meet label claims. As such, studies performed with a specific fish oil extract can be generalized to apply to all brands of fish oil extract (provided that the doses of EPA-DHA are comparable to those used in the studies).

Other than the ratio of EPA-to-DHA, there simply isn't much difference between different brands of fish oil (and most contain similar ratios of EPA-to-DHA as well). You can buy fish oil from any source, and as long as you are taking equivalent doses of Omega-3s, the results will be the same. Research that applies to one generally applies to all.

As I said, if you provide me with a specific study, I'll take a look. Other than that, the one that is "best for the board" is the one that provides the most Omega-3s at the cheapest price (which is definitely NOT the OmegaGuard that you mentioned).

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Based on what you just said money is the issue to you, am I correct TeamSavage?
You're not really listening to what I'm saying here. Yes, of course, it's always preferable to have a published study performed with the actual, specific product. But when it comes to fish oil, it simply doesn't matter that much, because:
1) There is already a tremendous body of research performed on fish oil
2) Fish oil extracts are consistent in quality and almost always meet label claims. As such, studies performed with a specific fish oil extract can be generalized to apply to all brands of fish oil extract (provided that the doses of EPA-DHA are comparable to those used in the studies).

Other than the ratio of EPA-to-DHA, there simply isn't much difference between different brands of fish oil (and most contain similar ratios of EPA-to-DHA as well). You can buy fish oil from any source, and as long as you are taking equivalent doses of Omega-3s, the results will be the same. Research that applies to one generally applies to all.

As I said, if you provide me with a specific study, I'll take a look. Other than that, the one that is "best for the board" is the one that provides the most Omega-3s at the cheapest price (which is definitely NOT the OmegaGuard that you mentioned).

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Based on what you just said money is the issue to you, am I correct TeamSavage?
For fish oil, yes, price should generally be the determining factor. To explain...

For certain supplements/compounds, there can be a great variation in quality, potency, and/or composition, in which case it can make sense to pay a lot more for certain brands. If a more expensive brand is likely to provide much greater benefits, then it's worth it.

Fish oil is not one of these supplements. There is little variation in quality or composition, and while there can be some variation in potency, this can be easily adjusted for by taking more or fewer gelcaps. Unless you need a highly specific EPA-DHA ratio for a specific reason, the more expensive brands are not likely to provide greater benefits than the cheap brands. So yes, for fish oil, it basically boils down to money. Why spend $30 for a month supply when you can spend $3 and get the same benefits?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I called Optimum and asked how 'clean' it is, ie how much heavy metal their fish oil contains.

Answer: under 4ppm (IIRC), the gov't mandated limit.

Sounds on the up-and-up to me.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As long as there are at least 300mg of omega 3 per softgel, it is ok. I think that the NOW brand would be cheaper and is just as good of a product.
I use NOWs product and it seems to be about the best quality for the price...

best of luck

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Custom has a great deal on 1000 softgels!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So yes, for fish oil, it basically boils down to money. Why spend $30 for a month supply when you can spend $3 and get the same benefits?
I would have to disagree with you on that. Depending on the process of distillation reveals how bioavailable and clean the product is. There is no way you will get the same quality fish oil from solvent-refined as you will with triple molecular distillation. With triple molecular distillation, you get improved viscosity, better temperature stability, improved oxidation resistance, lower carbon residue, higher boiling points, and lower vapour pressures. Fish oil may be the same before refining, but not after, doesn't that make sense?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I would have to disagree with you on that. Depending on the process of distillation reveals how bioavailable and clean the product is. There is no way you will get the same quality fish oil from solvent-refined as you will with triple molecular distillation. With triple molecular distillation, you get improved viscosity, better temperature stability, improved oxidation resistance, lower carbon residue, higher boiling points, and lower vapour pressures. Fish oil may be the same before refining, but not after, doesn't that make sense?
Thats interesting infomation, where can I read about that?

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
I work at the vitamin shoppe and sometimes we have rep copanies come in and discuss supplements, nutrition, etc... Fish oil isn't suppose to have that smelly fish smell. If it does that means it's not good quality Fish Oil.. Just think would you buy smelly fish at the supermarket?! Usually it means it's bad if it smells.

Enzymatic Therapy is a really good brand of fish oil

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wow..I never thought anyone used omega guard. that's definitely one of the highest quality brand products for omega 3's

People are always saying "so and so is a reputable company"...why?:

because a lot of people by from them? if a significant amount of people say a company is good because of "the quality of the products, etc., etc." (the same thing every rep tells you about their company's products and rep) then I can make a company and be the next ON.

there's no such thing as "any brand is good" for ANY product.:icon_lol:

slack advice.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well I am glad to hear people that acknowledge Omegaguard as a high quality supplement.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So looks like danny boy no one has argured about the quality of omega guard. It really boils down to cost which I buy in bulk to keep my cost down which I am glad to show people how to do that as well.

yoos

Awards
I work at the vitamin shoppe and sometimes we have rep copanies come in and discuss supplements, nutrition, etc... Fish oil isn't suppose to have that smelly fish smell. If it does that means it's not good quality Fish Oil.. Just think would you buy smelly fish at the supermarket?! Usually it means it's bad if it smells.

Enzymatic Therapy is a really good brand of fish oil
I'm looking to start taking fish oil... Are the ON and Now brands real fishy tasting? I'd definitely prefer a non fishy taste... Thx!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Omega guard does not have any fishy taste which is one of the many reasons I like it a lot.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
ON is a great company, but I wouldnt use there fish oil, not because its not good, but theres better fish oil out there.

You want something that contains about 10-30iu of natural vitamin e, sometimes it will only be listed in the small print that it contains vitamin e and not in active ingrediants.

You want one that goes through distilation, and also one with atleast 300mg of omega 3 per gram. Prefebly although not so importantly, with a EPA/DHA ratio of 1.5/1 wich is the natural ratio.
i would suggest Pure Omega 3 by PBL. not for sure but it used to be at np.

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
I think most fish oils now days are pretty decent. I think the most important part isn't necessarily how many grams of Omega 3's you are getting, but how much EPA/DHA you are getting. I recently bought a bottle of Carlson's 17 oz Fish Oil. Might go for high potency EPA/DHA pills after this, merely for convenience. But a bottle is generally much more concentrated, typical at a better price. Carlson's is often mentioned as a quality fish oil source.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I think most fish oils now days are pretty decent. I think the most important part isn't necessarily how many grams of Omega 3's you are getting, but how much EPA/DHA you are getting. I recently bought a bottle of Carlson's 17 oz Fish Oil. Might go for high potency EPA/DHA pills after this, merely for convenience. But a bottle is generally much more concentrated, typical at a better price. Carlson's is often mentioned as a quality fish oil source.
Well EPA and DHA are the primary Omega-3's in fish oil, so the amount of EPA+DHA is roughly equivalent to the amount of Omega-3's you're getting. In other words, in a typical 1000mg fish oil capsule, most of the oil isn't Omega-3. There might only be 400mg of Omega-3, of which 240mg might me EPA and 120mg might be DHA (just to give an example).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19