Whats a good brand of EFA's??

Fun2Train

Awards
Just curious whats a good brand of EFA? I have heard that cheaper brands of EFA's can have high heavy minerals in them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Barlean's High Lignan Flaxseed oil,
Super Concentrated Fish Oil from Kirkland Signature (Costco),
And pretty much any epellar pressed or cold pressed organic oil from a grocery store.... olive oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, etc.

Fun2Train

Awards
Barlean's High Lignan Flaxseed oil,
Super Concentrated Fish Oil from Kirkland Signature (Costco),
And pretty much any epellar pressed or cold pressed organic oil from a grocery store.... olive oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, etc.
Thanks allot.

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
gets mines from Costco or Walmart..

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like omega guard because it uses a triple molecular distillation process that concentrates it in a safe way. ALso it provides a full spectrum of seven ultra pure omega 3 fatty acids naturally found in fish.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yep, me too..........costco...kirkland.......Generic but the hell! You look good and a smart shopper
Cheap does not mean it is always great. I know some of the head guys there at the pharmacy at costo in my town and he said he personally would not take any of the products there due to the quality and integrity.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
The Costco brand fish oil is actually regarded as being very high quality

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The Costco brand fish oil is actually regarded as being very high quality
Are there published studies on there brand? I know there are not. With out a study any one can make a claim.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It bears mentioning that good fatty acids like the omega 3s are not the same as essential fatty acids, which are linoleic acid and alpha-lonolenic acid. I'm not sure but I recall someone posting studies showing the conversion of the ala found in flax and other plant sources isn't too high making supplementation with meat sources (fish) or a combo of meat and veggie sources more ideal for efa and general fa supplementation.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Are there published studies on there brand? I know there are not. With out a study any one can make a claim.
I couldn't find any (I could have sworn that I've seen a write up on their Enteric Coated Extra Strength Fish Oil Concentrate)... oh well.

here is Kirkland's blurb on their product, for what it's worth:

Fish Oil Enteric Coated Extra Strength

Product Highlights

850 mg "Concentrated" Fish Oil with 440 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Odor & reflux free

Cholesterol free

Release assured

46% more Omega-3 than standard fish oil concentrate

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

240 mg of EPA
(Eicosapentaenoic Acid)

200 mg of DHA
(Docosahexaenoic Acid)

The enteric coating reduces the fishy odor and aftertaste by protecting the soft gel until it reaches the lower intestine. Kirkland Signature fish supply comes from deep ocean waters. Our fish oil is not supplied from farm-raised fish.
We use a state of the art purification process to guarantee purity on all Kirkland Signature fish oil products.
The fish oil is derived from a variety of fish species, to maximize omega 3 fatty acid concentration.

Fish Oil Enteric Coated naturally contains the Omega-3 Fatty Acids, EPA and DHA. Omega-3 Fatty Acids help maintain heart and vascular health.Extra Strength Enteric Coated Fish Oil provides 46% more Omega-3s, 440 mg per dose versus regular strength fish oil which contain 300 mg per dose.

New scientific research proofs: Fish oil supplements safer than eating fish

Fish oil supplements may be safer than eating fish, at least from the standpoint of toxic impurities, according to the results of a study published in the January issue of the Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.

“The consumption of fish high in omega-3 fatty acids is recommended by the American Heart Association to decrease the risk of coronary artery disease,” said Stacy Foran Melanson, MD PHD form the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Mass. “However, fish contain environmental toxins such as mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides, which may negate the beneficial cardiovascular effects of fish meals. Fish oil supplements provide the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids without the risk of toxicity. (Barclay, L., MD, Medscape Med News, 2005).

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am not hear to argure or bash them but with out studies which I already know they do not have I will avoid taking the product by all means. There are few companies out there that do have published studies on there product i.e fish oil etc.

miilkbone

miilkbone

Awards
Fish and flax is like this....either spend 200$ on Jordans to walk and jog.....or go to the shoe store and get quality footwear for the purpose at a good price.:icon_lol:

miilkbone

miilkbone

Awards
I am not hear to argure or bash them but with out studies which I already know they do not have I will avoid taking the product by all means. There are few companies out there that do have published studies on there product i.e fish oil etc.
Yo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, speak english. Dots means periods which mean end of sentence. And quite honestly, the way I read your post, you act like u got the answer...................If not then dont say, "with out studies which I already know they do not have .......................................that looks really :bruce1: condescending!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What are you looking for? Links to a site? Isn't against TOS to post links? I am telling you there are such thing as companies with published studies. Do a google search. If you want I am more than willing to post a link. How do you know brand A is better than brand B if both companies say they are the best? Even if you take it you don't know if it giving you results. That is why a published studies is something to go by. I am willing to if the admins let me post links.

Fun2Train

Awards
thanks allot guys for the tips and info. I was using this brand and was just worried about harmfull side effects, Like mercury being to high or something.

Health from the Sun Total EFA
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 3
Servings Per Container 180 Softgels

Amount Per
Serving % Daily
Value

Calories 40 N/A*

Calories From Fat 30 N/A*

Total Fat 3.5 Gm 5%

Saturated Fat 0.5 Gm 3%

Cholesterol 5 Mg 2%

Protein 1 Gm N/A*

Vitamin E 30 IU 100%

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Ala) (Omega-3) 699 Mg N/A*

Docosahexaenoic Acid (Dha) (Omega-3) 138 Mg N/A*

Eicosapentaenoic Acid (Epa) (Omega-3) 216 Mg N/A*

Gamma Linolenic Acid (Gla) (Omega-6) 288 Mg N/A*

Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) 620 Mg N/A*

Oleic Acid (Omega-9) 520 Mg N/A*

johnrfit

Awards
I have been in the supplement industry for close to 30 years and very active in essential oils. The truth is that there are only about 4-5 suppliers of fish oil. Almost all of it is pretty clean. consumerlabs did a test a couple of years ago and from a heavy metal/pesticide basis, everything passed. What you have to look for is the amount of EPA/DHA per capsule. The higher the better. The standard 18/12 product (180 mg EPA/120 mg DHA per 1000 mg or 30% total) usually has as much or more saturated fats as EPA. A few suppplements give you upwards of 50% total EPA/DHA and higher. This means that you take fewer capsules.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Published studies right on the 1st link---Amplified Nutrition Is where I buy mine from. Right on there site they show there published study abstracts.
Hear are a list of the most current published studies from this company on there product. (not raw matrial)

OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
Marine Lipids and Atherosclerosis: A Review. Davidson, Liebson, Cardiovascular Reviews & Reports. Vol 7, No. 5, May 1986.

Effect of Low Dose Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Plasma Fatty Acids and Lipids. Spiller, Jensen, Scala. Am J Clin Nutr 1987;45:857 (abstract).

Plasma Lipids on Three Levels of Fish Oil Intake in Healthy Human Subjects. Jensen, Spiller, Wookey, Wong, Whittam, Scala. Nutr Rep Int 1988;38:165-72.

Amplified Nutrition
That is the one I spcifictly get.

Promotes Cardiovascular Health

Protect Your Heart
Ultra Pure- Pharmaceutical Grade
Omega Guard™ pharmaceutical grade omega 3's uses a state-of-the-art, proprietary, low temperature, triple molecular distillation and purification process that concentrates natural beneficial omega 3 fatty acids and helps remove harmful contaminants including heavy metals lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, dioxins and PCBs.

World's Finest Fish oil
Omega Guard™ provides a full spectrum of seven natural omega 3 fatty acids -- EPA, DHA, ALA and more for cardiovascular health* and to support healthy vision, brain and joint function*.

I personally like that there is no after burp with this brand.