melatonin expereince?

EctoMorphius

EctoMorphius

Awards
i was just wondering if anyone here has tried melatonin as a daily supplement, and if so, what are your oppions and comments about. please tell me how much of a dosage you took, and if your felt a positive change in your sleep pattern

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I love it at 3 mg. daily. I use it about 3-4 times a week. Sleep is even better now that I'm on Powerfull.

luke1984

luke1984

Awards
  • Established
I use it a lot, and I really like it. But in my opinion 3 mg is too much. I take 0.5 to 1 mg and it works perfectly. It really helps me falling asleep, since I normally have a lot of thouble with that. And also I wake up feeling really well.

NeedleDick

Awards
Same here only take 0.5mg to 1 mg at 6'7" 260 lbs. and works great. sleep well and feel refreshed!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Less is more. In my experience less than 1 mg is ideal. Too much doesn't enhance sleep and just makes one groggy in the morning.

Most brands sell it in multiple mg formulations so look for tablets which you can manually split apart into smaller doses.

rkieltyk

Awards
for some reason i tend to sleep less with melatonin. this says nothing of the sleep quality but the amount of time spent sleeping is less.

also, i have taken sonata (friends scrip) and i have similiar problems except on sonata the quality is diminished.

Oats n' chicken

Awards
I take melatonin, works great. Just cant use it for extended periods of time, cause youl start needing more of it. I generally take 1-2g to help me relax. It works about 75% of the time IMO.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
It gives you great sleep but at 3 mg, you're def groggy the next a.m. for a while. I usually just use it on weekends when I know I can sleep in. I took it this fri. and got a nice 10 hr. sleep. :)

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I used 3 mg. Not bad, but REM was better. I might try 1.5 mg. as it seems to provide better results..

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
i haved used Melatonin in several dosage the highest was 15 mg. i didnt noticed nothing more than back pumps from it. I had better luck with Usp Labs Powerfull

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Back pumps from melatonin??? Never heard of that....but 15 mg. dosage is way, way too much by anyone's standards, I would say, so who knows what sides you'd get.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
Back pumps from melatonin??? Never heard of that....but 15 mg. dosage is way, way too much by anyone's standards, I would say, so who knows what sides you'd get.
the back pumps i noticed at 15 mg at lower dosage i didnt noticed anything

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Wow. 15 mg. that is a lot! 5 times the dose... :jaw:

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I'd be worried about the effects on brain chem. at that dose.

VtecTypeR

Awards
Didnt really work for me. I wake up more tired actually when I took it. I thought it was wierd since it works great for most people

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
That's common...try a lower dose or take it earlier. Maybe also only take it on nights where u can sleep in the next day.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Didnt really work for me. I wake up more tired actually when I took it. I thought it was wierd since it works great for most people
Try a much smaller dose. I've found that .25 mg gives me benefit without side efects.

steve0178

steve0178

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I absoultley love it. I take it at 3mg and dont feel groggy the next morning at all. The quality of sleep is very deep and usually acompained by vivid dreems. Im planning on taking it tonight :)

Awards
for some reason i tend to sleep less with melatonin. this says nothing of the sleep quality but the amount of time spent sleeping is less.

also, i have taken sonata (friends scrip) and i have similiar problems except on sonata the quality is diminished.
I face the same problem with melatonin, after using it for a while.

I switch around using melatonin, magnesium, and sometimes chamomile tea, hehe.

BeatNec

Awards
i have found it to work verry well if you already have your sleep in check. i feel like i have more quality sleep, feel more relaxed and fresh when i wake up. but dont take it if you go to beed at irregular times. it just messes up things...

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is copied from a post on another board and i haven't had the time to look for the studies it refers to...but just thought i'd throw it out there for discussion:

Several studies published on pubmed.com state that melatonin does inhibit testosterone secretion.

Here is a direct quote from one such article.

"CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that melatonin inhibits testosterone secretion by acting at hypothalamo-pituitary axis. There is a functional relationship and feedback regulation between the pineal gland and the testes."

I'll try and research it a bit when i get the time a little later this week.

steve0178

steve0178

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This is copied from a post on another board and i haven't had the time to look for the studies it refers to...but just thought i'd throw it out there for discussion:

Several studies published on pubmed.com state that melatonin does inhibit testosterone secretion.

Here is a direct quote from one such article.

"CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that melatonin inhibits testosterone secretion by acting at hypothalamo-pituitary axis. There is a functional relationship and feedback regulation between the pineal gland and the testes."

I'll try and research it a bit when i get the time a little later this week.
Hmm i didnt know that. Ive always wondered though. If you find anymore info let us know!

bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
I take 3mg of melatonin along with 1g of GABA. Works awesome! Even better with Pfull added to that stack.

The problem with melatonin though is it is definatly "habit forming". Unless I'm going to be up late I can't fall asleep without it.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
gaba doesn't relax me as much as theanine. sometimes i feel a little wired for an hour after taking it.

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
GABA's a weird supplement...I get that "wired" feeling too, but it only lasts for a little while and then I am completely relaxed.

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
Personally, I love it. I'm not for sure how much impact it has on training or recovery, but I do know that when it's in the evening and I am stressed and have alot on my mind that GABA helps mellow me out and relaxes me. It won't make you tired, but it will calm you down and get you "in the mood" for sleep, so to speak.

hmm never tried gaba

steve0178

steve0178

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Personally, I love it. I'm not for sure how much impact it has on training or recovery, but I do know that when it's in the evening and I am stressed and have alot on my mind that GABA helps mellow me out and relaxes me. It won't make you tired, but it will calm you down and get you "in the mood" for sleep, so to speak.

intersting, thanks for the info. Im going to have to try it!

Dros120

Awards
I have used doeses of 3mg and 5mg. The 5mg seemed to knock me out faster, but there was no other difference.

It was great for getting to sleep. It helped to settle me down from pre-workout stims (I lift at night). The problem I had was that I consistently woke up after 3-4 hours of sleep. After that I would have a lot of difficulty getting back to sleep.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I take the equivilent of about 1mg of melatonin and thats all i can handle. Even with that i still get vivid dreams, but if i even go to 2mg, im getting VERY vivid dreams and nightmares and waking up feeling like ive just been run over. 1mg works really well for me. Its definately a better quality of sleep.

I was taking a 5HTP as well during the day, but ive had to ditch that as well. Both at once was making me groggy during the day.

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The caps i bought from my local drugstore for $4 are 3mg...didn't even think of taking less until this thread got started.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
The caps i bought from my local drugstore for $4 are 3mg...didn't even think of taking less until this thread got started.
Try breaking up a tablet and finding the smallest effective dose for you.

EctoMorphius

EctoMorphius

Awards
do you guys take it as a normal daily supplement, like a vitamin? what i mean is, does it seem to be stable thing, as it helps you sleep when ever you try to sleep(assuming that you have a normal sleep pattern)

or

do you guys take it at a certain time, like an hour before bed, because it has a more sudden affect....like benadryl or nyquil?

oh yea.....merry f*kin x-mas guys

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I take it before bed a couple times a month.

bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
do you guys take it as a normal daily supplement, like a vitamin? what i mean is, does it seem to be stable thing, as it helps you sleep when ever you try to sleep(assuming that you have a normal sleep pattern)

or

do you guys take it at a certain time, like an hour before bed, because it has a more sudden affect....like benadryl or nyquil?

oh yea.....merry f*kin x-mas guys
Melatonin should only be taken at night, within an hour of bed. Melatonin is the chemical your brain releases when it gets dark signaling you, basically, to get tired. As far as how often to use it, I try to keep it to nights that I have to go to bed early like during the week.