splenda?

• Thread starter wastedwhiteboy2
  • Start date
wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok. a friend of mine emailed me some links to negative articles about splenda. anyone know if there is any truth to it?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
well without seeing the links sort of hard to do.

I will say this on the internet you can find something bad about just about anything.

CROWLER

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Splenda contains maltodextrin. I had this conversation with a group of guys in another thread. Give me a minute and I'll dig it up for you.

Found it:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutraplanet/53414-any-word-if.html?highlight=sucralose

The Glycemic Index = 137

Bodybuilding.com - ISSA - The Glycemic Index! = 105

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/4114-does-maltodextrin-have.html?highlight=maltodextrin = 137

GLYCEMIC INDEX = 105

The Glycemic Index - this site lead me to a revelation...it appears some lists use white bread as there base for 100 and others use glucose.

When white bread is used as the basis of comparison maltodextrin scores a 150, but when glucose is used as the basis of comparison maltodextrin only scores a 105.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basically, maltodextrin has a pretty high GI and Splenda is cut with maltodextrin. Moral of the story? I should have bought the pure sucralose when AI had it on sale...now I'll have to wait for NP to carry it in bulk, b/c I don't think AI carries it anymore.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
splenda cut with malto..say what?

imo...id use as little as possble.ive been shying away from it lately

ive been tinkering with stevia these days.seems like it mayb e a real winner.sweet,natural,no cal/sugar....stress the NATURAL part.ppl can talk till their blue in the face about how its harmless,but anything altered and unnatural has a high probability of having a detrimental effect on the body and mind.especially if used in excess.now..what is 'excess' to where it will have a tangible negative effect?hard to say...if u do a search on this site itll have alot of good info on this subject.i believe alan aragon has talked alot about it.something about it not haveing a metabolic pathway or some such thing.also seems that while the proponents of splenda say its totally benign and none of it absorbs,but just passes thru your system.....seems a percentage of it actually DOES absorb.now..where does that go?or what does it do while accumulating in your tissues?things to think about

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
splenda cut with malto..say what?

imo...id use as little as possble.ive been shying away from it lately

ive been tinkering with stevia these days.seems like it mayb e a real winner.sweet,natural,no cal/sugar....
SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener - Welcome to a World of Sweetness

What is SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener?

SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener contains sucralose (SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener), the no calorie sweetener made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar, with no unpleasant aftertaste. SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener can be used virtually anywhere sugar is used. It can also be used in cooking and baking in a variety of recipes. Like many no and low calorie sweeteners, each serving of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener contains a very small amount of common food ingredients, e.g., dextrose and/or maltodextrin, for volume. Because the amount of these ingredients is so small, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener still has an insignificant calorie value per serving and meets FDA's standards for "no calorie" sweeteners.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I read those articles before. Everyone knows that aspartame is bad, even though it was approved. It's the best ant killer... Now Splenda is starting to go down IMO, just like aspartame did. I would try to stay away from those unknown chemichals, and forget the sweet taste. You get used to it. I tried to cut out aspartame. It's been about two months, and I feel perfect. I guess it's a risk to take. Some people smoke, and live up to 90-95 years old, others will be in perfect health, and bam. They leave at 65. If you stay away from all those chemichals, You increase your health big time IMO. Just my 2 cents..

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
I drink tons of splenda drink mix... Hope it's not harmfull dammit...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If you're into splenda free protein's that taste okay, ON has one with chocolate and vanilla. They do use fructose and it's 5 grams of carbs per serving so keep that in mind. There are more protein's being made without sucralose but they're not as good as the ones with it

P.S. Don't worry about the Splenda that much. Worry about real things that can kill you like terrorists or North Korean nukes :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
chloronated sorbitol

Some have theorized that it may be a source of calories, while others say the chlorine 'confuses' the necessary digestive enzymes. Regardless, it's over 100X sweeter than sugar, only needing trace amounts to be effective.

Hey, at least it doesn't metabolize into the highly toxic methanol like aspartame does.